How I land planes in KSP

jdsutton

I see I'm not the only bad pilot on Kerbin :cool:

In order to land safely, you need to slowdown you plane (of course !!), in KSP, you can cut the jet engine(s) off 1-2 kms from your landing spot if you are high enough (>800 m above actual ground level), rise the nose, let the plane moves down, and make the wheel contact (don't forget to lower landing gears !) at 60-70 ms/s max, not too much nose up (or bye bye tail engine(s) !) then use brakes, more or less hard, depending on plane weight, shape and balance.

In fact, a big miss is the airbrakes FireSpitter provides, you can always add FS part to other planes, it may help.

The trick to land planes in ksp is.... to build a plane that can land.

Make sure your plane can achieve stable flight with CoL behind CoM when the fuel is full and also almost empty. After that it needs to be flying in straight line and dropping less than 5 m/s. Aim to touch down with the back wheel first and in VAB disable front wheel brakes.

Watching Cruzan youtube videos, posted in tutorial section, is a very good way to get the general idea. He also posted some fancy aerial manuevers you can try to train your landing faster.

Also always try to fly and land small planes first. There is a reason why real pilots fly Cessnas before Jumbo Jets....

I really wish we could reverse the engine thrust when landing like real jets do....

you mean those huge things that land at over 500 km/h?

they kind of need those, but afaik, small fighter jets do not have reverse thrust, just freaking huge airbrakes.

I had firespitter and it worked once or twice, then the next time I opened KSP it failed to load the parts on every one of my ships and I lost everything. Wouldn't work until I deleted the firespitter files. Don't really trust it now.

The truly proper Kerbal way is to build a replica of the SR-71, spend 90 minutes in real time hand-flying it around the equator of Kerbin at approximately Mach 4, and then at the last second, crack up the landing at KSC, killing two of your senior Kerbonauts, losing you all the science, and ruining the entire record attempt.

/I am not the slightest bit bitter, I swear.

Most of my spaceplane landings have been on the wrong continent. I've only once returned from orbit and landed on the runway. I did have to turn around and cross a fairly large amount of ocean after i was back in the atmosphere. I found it very easy landing on the runway compared to landing on lumpy plain or in the desert.

I did once land a small test plane on the side of a mountain, and I mean a near-vertical cliff, I had just a couple of parachutes that were supposed to be for braking to help, but this was not a parachute decent, I was in fact travelling upwards from the base of the cliff at the time. I didn't get a picture of it landed, as it only stayed on the cliff for about 5 seconds before tubling to it's destruction. Just long enough for the pilot to jump out, surviving a rather long slide...

Here's the pic from about 5 seconds before touchdown..

0hJJjyt.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.