Idea: Personal heatshield

So i am having an idea - Personal heat shields!

Basically it is a heat shield out of structural plates with a little detachable fuel tank with a little engine for deorbiting; with the kerbonaut restrained using a chair. The kerbonaut would after decelerating to subsonic speeds disembark and open a personal parachute from the Vanguard plugin or have the seat attached to a parachute that is detached later; or for sea landings maybe have the heat shield have parachutes so that it will function as a boat until rescue arrives.

No more kerbonauts entering the atmosphere just in their EVA suits!

So basically; you deorbit; then you orient for reentry; then you enter the atmosphere and relax while watching the flames; when you are under 300 meters per second the kerbonaut jumps off and lands using a parachute.

Any thoughts on this?

Maybe...that's what i mean; except the propulsion module is separated after deorbit unless it is placed aerodynamically appropriate on the heat shield. Anyways; electricity is not needed anymore as soon as you orient correctly for reentry (unless there are control problems and ASAS is needed). Also, you might attach control surfaces to the edge of the heat shield so that it follows your orders with less resistance.

I've played around with it a few times. I used the FL A5 adaptor with a small RCS tank and then the control chair attached to that. I had 2 parachutes attached beside the chair and there we go. It worked well enough but it was wonky as hell to attach and it was kinda useless because it could only really return back to kerbin from a lowish orbit.

This work, main issue is that the parachute shock tend to kick kerbal out of seat. Using kas or vanguard to avoid this.

Another way is to use something like an panel box with seat in bottom, even if Kerbal fall off he will not fall down.

It can be built with stock parts... 1 rcs thruster, 1 small tank, 1 stage adapter and a ladder... Works like a charm... Oh... And a radial chute if you care about landing... Works better with real chute mod due to lower g-forces during chute deployment and smaller parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.