[Ongoing Dev] [0.23.5] Modular Kolonization System v0.16 (RELEASE) [05-10-2014]

RoverDude

I have a few questions regarding this mod pack. First will it work with Better Than Starting Manned setup? Reason I am asking is that once .24 hits I will be using that and I believe that your mod would be very helpful in the long run. Second is if I decide not to run kethane what problems would this cause? I am not against using it, but if I am able to not use it I would rather not (unless it is needed to make the colony run of course). It seems like this will be both challenging and fun at the same time.

hello all

First of all the "MKS Mod" is a great motivation in KSP ! Thank you for all your efforts.

I tried to stick to the Guides.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mods I installed:

ThunderAerospace - [TacLifeSupport] v0.8.0.4

Kethane [Kethane] 0.8.6

!! I didnt use the Module Manager ! ModuleManager.2.1.5.dll !! <- not installed, is it mandatory ?

KAS [KAS] 0.4.7

Cargo Transportation Solutions [ModsbyTal] 0.3.4

InfernalRobotics [MagicSmokeIndustries] 0.16.5a

Procedural Fairings 3.05 [ProceduralFairings] 3.05

Kerbal Crew Manifest [CrewManifest] v0.5.7.0

RealChute [RealChute] v1.1.0.1

My problem is that I cant get it running so far. Its a pity there is no Video Tutorial.

From what I understand the Minimum is:

1 ColonyHub

1 ConstructionHub

1 Mining Storage Hut (NOT inline - the jumbo one with the red cap!)

1 Supply Storage Hut (NOT inline - the jumbo one with the red cap!)

1 Power Distribution Unit (PDU)

1 Drilling unit (All Kethane drills have been modified to also mine Ore/Substrate/Water/Kethane)

First I did scan for ore. I fount a place on moon covering 3 critical ressources.

Here is what I did ...

(always click the picture for full screen)

there is Ore ...

screenshot81_20.png

Minerals ...

screenshot82_20.png

Aquifer ...

screenshot83_20.png

I did build the minimum required, my little base (exactly under the hotspots you see in the previous picture):

screenshot84_20.png

the Rig only holds a "Big Driller" and its connected to the "STORAGE HUT MINING" via Pipes

(the center of mass is in the middle of all - so it looks connected perfectly)

screenshot86_20.png

screenshot87_20.png

anything looks empty though !

in the "CONSTRUCTION HUB" there's a "Construct Not enough Minerals"

screenshot88_20.png

the "COLONY HUB" ...

screenshot89_20.png

thats the connection from to the Driller-Rig ...

screenshot90_20.png

Does someone has a good Video Tutorial explaining the steps to do ?

Any knows whats wrong with the base as it is ?

Great thanks for any input in advance :D

<<<1stBiker

Edited by 1stBiker

I have a few questions regarding this mod pack. First will it work with Better Than Starting Manned setup? Reason I am asking is that once .24 hits I will be using that and I believe that your mod would be very helpful in the long run. Second is if I decide not to run kethane what problems would this cause? I am not against using it, but if I am able to not use it I would rather not (unless it is needed to make the colony run of course). It seems like this will be both challenging and fun at the same time.

Unsure on BTSM - all I can say is that I do not do any custom tech tree stuff, but I also have no idea if any of their plugins will cause issues... Best bet is to give it a shot! Kethane wise, you can use ORS instead. Kethane is now optional.

hello all

First of all the "MKS Mod" is a great motivation in KSP ! Thank you for all your efforts.

I tried to stick to the Guides.

The Mods I installed:

ThunderAerospace - [TacLifeSupport] v0.8.0.4

Kethane [Kethane] 0.8.6

!! I didnt use the Module Manager ! ModuleManager.2.1.5.dll !! <- not installed, is it mandatory ?

KAS [KAS] 0.4.7

Cargo Transportation Solutions [ModsbyTal] 0.3.4

InfernalRobotics [MagicSmokeIndustries] 0.16.5a

Procedural Fairings 3.05 [ProceduralFairings] 3.05

Kerbal Crew Manifest [CrewManifest] v0.5.7.0

RealChute [RealChute] v1.1.0.1

My problem is that I cant get it running so far. Its a pity there is no Video Tutorial.

From what I understand the Minimum is:

1 ColonyHub

1 ConstructionHub

1 Mining Storage Hut (NOT inline - the jumbo one with the red cap!)

1 Supply Storage Hut (NOT inline - the jumbo one with the red cap!)

1 Power Distribution Unit (PDU)

1 Drilling unit (All Kethane drills have been modified to also mine Ore/Substrate/Water/Kethane)

First I did scan for ore. I fount a place on moon covering 3 critical ressources.

Here is what I did ...

(always click the picture for full screen)

there is Ore ...

http://biker69.ch/ftpforum/statisch/Bilder/Kerbal/mks/screenshot81_20.png

Minerals ...

http://biker69.ch/ftpforum/statisch/Bilder/Kerbal/mks/screenshot82_20.png

Aquifer ...

http://biker69.ch/ftpforum/statisch/Bilder/Kerbal/mks/screenshot83_20.png

I did build the minimum required, my little base (exactly under the hotspots you see in the previous picture):

http://biker69.ch/ftpforum/statisch/Bilder/Kerbal/mks/screenshot84_20.png

the Rig only holds a "Big Driller" and its connected to the "STORAGE HUT MINING" via Pipes

(the center of mass is in the middle of all - so it looks connected perfectly)

http://biker69.ch/ftpforum/statisch/Bilder/Kerbal/mks/screenshot86_20.png

http://biker69.ch/ftpforum/statisch/Bilder/Kerbal/mks/screenshot87_20.png

anything looks empty though !

in the "CONSTRUCTION HUB" there's a "Construct Not enough Minerals"

http://biker69.ch/ftpforum/statisch/Bilder/Kerbal/mks/screenshot88_20.png

the "COLONY HUB" ...

http://biker69.ch/ftpforum/statisch/Bilder/Kerbal/mks/screenshot89_20.png

thats the connection from to the Driller-Rig ...

http://biker69.ch/ftpforum/statisch/Bilder/Kerbal/mks/screenshot90_20.png

Does someone has a good Video Tutorial explaining the steps to do ?

Any knows whats wrong with the base as it is ?

Great thanks for any input in advance :D

<<<1stBiker

Two things.

First - use Module Manager. No reason not to use it, and it's key if you use Kethane.

Second - the kethane drills do not work for the ORS deposits I see in your pics above. You will need to use a metal refinery for ore, chemical refinery for minerals, a water plant for water, and (I believe) it's the polymer MKS module for substrate. Should be info in their right mouse button spot. This is why I added a Harvester in the new version ;)

@1stBiker Try not to use the hotspot blobs, but the Kethane scanner instead to find minerals, ore etc. In map view, open the Kethane scanmap options, where you select grid map on and click the right arrow to change from Kethane to Ore or minerals etc. Built your first base on an tile where Ore and Minerals are overlapping and use your Kethane drill to extract. that should work! (nice base design by the way!)

@Roverdude, I have a little problem with your docking ports. with the orientation to be more precise. When I select 'control from here' on the docking port. the ship orientation changes 180 degrees. not so much a problem when building bases, but I like to use the same docking ports for my space station and mun shuttle.

Dit you inverse on purpose? and if not, can it be reversed?

thx!!

Rico

Unsure on BTSM - all I can say is that I do not do any custom tech tree stuff, but I also have no idea if any of their plugins will cause issues... Best bet is to give it a shot! Kethane wise, you can use ORS instead. Kethane is now optional.

Ah thanks for that I might be testing it this week or next to see what issues come up. Thanks for the Kethane alternative, it isn't that I am against Kethane it is just more than I will want if things go the way I want.

@1stBiker Try not to use the hotspot blobs, but the Kethane scanner instead to find minerals, ore etc. In map view, open the Kethane scanmap options, where you select grid map on and click the right arrow to change from Kethane to Ore or minerals etc. Built your first base on an tile where Ore and Minerals are overlapping and use your Kethane drill to extract. that should work! (nice base design by the way!)

@Roverdude, I have a little problem with your docking ports. with the orientation to be more precise. When I select 'control from here' on the docking port. the ship orientation changes 180 degrees. not so much a problem when building bases, but I like to use the same docking ports for my space station and mun shuttle.

Dit you inverse on purpose? and if not, can it be reversed?

thx!!

Rico

Yep this can be looked into - I'll be doing a treatment of all of the parts one by one, will add an issue to GitHub.

Great thanks for all your kind feedback :D

EDIT, SOLVED:

I did reinstall anything and dropped only the needed Mods including the ModuleManager.

At least scanning ressources is now working !! Will update later. THANKS ANYONE !

--------------------------------------------

On my very first test with "Kethane-Mod" & "MKS-Mod" (at Kerbin) I did scan with the "Kethan Scanner" and could only see Kethane. Switching the arrows didnt show anything else and mouse over the spots showed me Kethane xxx or none, the other matherials were "no Data".

I thought I've done something wrong and started once again today in a new sandbox (incl. the ModuleManager.2.1.5.dll).

There is still "no Data" when I scan, doesnt matter using the "KE-S210 Compact Survey Unit" or "KE-S110 Medium Survey Unit" Scanner.

There is Ketane -

screenshot92_20.png

.. but there is "no Data" for the other ressources

screenshot93_20.png

I'll post again if I can find out why there isnt any data for me..

great thanks for any tip if someone knows the solution

<<<1stBiker

Edited by 1stBiker

So, I'm testing the 0.18 dev and I get no context menu of any kind with the new storage hut and tank in the VAB, and no resource is displayed during game. Is that how it's supposed to work or am I missing something?

So, I'm testing the 0.18 dev and I get no context menu of any kind with the new storage hut and tank in the VAB, and no resource is displayed during game. Is that how it's supposed to work or am I missing something?

Yep - you need the pre-release of 7.0x of FireSpitter along with TweakScale - adding both DLLs to GitHub tonight once I finish testing the new module base

Yep - you need the pre-release of 7.0x of FireSpitter along with TweakScale - adding both DLLs to GitHub tonight once I finish testing the new module base

5m storage tanks. Nice. :)

But, am I supposed to be able to resize the storage hub too? It's a little weird. I thought they were more like distributors than storage.

5m storage tanks. Nice. :)

But, am I supposed to be able to resize the storage hub too? It's a little weird. I thought they were more like distributors than storage.

Yep, they are both. They just happen to be the only ones with ProxyLogistics turned on.

New stuff up.

Mostly work on config files, especially the Module Base. Also buffed the Harvester and the PDU.

Side note - considering two things - First, allowing the Module Base to act as a storage unit, given it's size. It will also help solve some stability issues with balancing a massive unit on top of a less massive unit, and make bases that more compact, given the number of storage solutions you need.

Also going to remove the size tweakability from the ProxyLog units (but keep the crew removal and simplicity), and add a new, radial and tweakscaleable radial storage unit. I know HexCans is out there, but tbh I want something more stylisticly 'MKS'...

KuyGbkg.png

hi all,

I have a problem on this mod using the kethane drill, it works fine on kethane and it can mine minerals but do not mine water or substrate, do I have to connect the drill to the water tanks or it flows like kethane ??

Regards to all

EDIT: For the water I think the problem is the storage tanks, im using the interstellar water tanks to store it but water is not the same resource as liquid water, Right ?!?!?! so I think the water problem have to be that, but the substrate im using the white storage cylinder that can take substrate, do I need a refinery or some fuel lines ???

Edited by custume

hi all,

I have a problem on this mod using the kethane drill, it works fine on kethane and it can mine minerals but do not mine water or substrate, do I have to connect the drill to the water tanks or it flows like kethane ??

Regards to all

EDIT: For the water I think the problem is the storage tanks, im using the interstellar water tanks to store it but water is not the same resource as liquid water, Right ?!?!?! so I think the water problem have to be that, but the substrate im using the white storage cylinder that can take substrate, do I need a refinery or some fuel lines ???

Thats right. The Interstellar water tank stores Liquid Water. You have to use the Storage Hut/Tank from MKS to store Water.

Of course you also have to be at a WATER resource to mine the right one.

according to kethane scan im on top of the water and of the substrate so there is no problem on the location.

For the water problem I think the problem was the tanks, but still do not know how to proceed on the substrate department.

I got the tank , I got the recourses so what's missing

This one is my main Rig: (this one works great) did not try to mine water or substrate but it mines ketahne and minerals real nice (ore probably to).

rigg.jpg

This is the problematic rig :

rig.2.jpg

Is suppose to have store space for the substrate and it is on top of the resource but there is no flow, it have fuel line all hover the place but the tanks don't get fill.

Any ideas, do I need a refinery like in the rig 1 ??

Regards to all

EDIT: is there a way (like editing the kethane list) of adding a spot next to the runway for testing the rigs before I send them ??

Edited by custume

according to kethane scan im on top of the water and of the substrate so there is no problem on the location.

For the water problem I think the problem was the tanks, but still do not know how to proceed on the substrate department.

I got the tank , I got the recourses so what's missing

This one is my main Rig: (this one works great) did not try to mine water or substrate but it mines ketahne and minerals real nice (ore probably to).

http://www.custume-server.com/up/uploads/rigg.jpg

This is the problematic rig :

http://www.custume-server.com/up/uploads/rig.2.jpg

Is suppose to have store space for the substrate and it is on top of the resource but there is no flow, it have fuel line all hover the place but the tanks don't get fill.

Any ideas, do I need a refinery like in the rig 1 ??

Regards to all

EDIT: is there a way (like editing the kethane list) of adding a spot next to the runway for testing the rigs before I send them ??

hmm... assuming you're on a substrate spot, you have the right tank, and the kethane drills should work fine. RE adding spots to KSC, I'd check in the Kethane thread, you should be able to do the thing for any kethane resource.

Ok I got it working now, the problem was on the rig, fuel cannot flow thru rover mod, in the middle was that part between the tank and the drill, and some struts and beams, now is direct and works fine, don't even need the fuel lines.

THz for the idea RoverDude and pointing me in the right direction, the debug function of the kethane helps on adding or removing recourses, again thz.

Well regards to all

New inflatables! I like :) Are they attachable to Habitat? Or do they come preattached?

You attach them as needed - each one adds space for a couple of more Kerbals. So a stock Kerbitat can handle... zero. Then for each inflatable you add, capacity goes up linerally by a couple of Kerbals. Same with the greenhouse, which actually (at it's scale) could support a single human given it's square footage of aeroponics, so I figure it's good for two Kerbals.

(These are designed to plug all of the nodes on your module bases, so you should have no shortage of Kerbal space, etc).

Awesome mod!

How do i send more Colony supplies? I only seem to get some stashed in the Colony Hub. I could add a colony hub on each launch structure, transfer to another module and then drop at launch; but that seems a bit awkward.

I also had some terrible time trying to build the base using the expando tubes. So i resorted to Infernal Robotics, by having small stock docking ports pushed by pistons.

Another thing is that the colony modules dont accept any clipping (unlike stock parts) and so placing things like landing gear and pistons requires quite much detail. Not saying that its a bug, especially if its intended so, just saying...

kolony.png