[Ongoing Dev] [0.23.5] Modular Kolonization System v0.16 (RELEASE) [05-10-2014]

RoverDude

With the new KSP .24 out when I download that can I keep my saved career on the old version and bring it to new version or do you have to start all over again? I see that MKS has a new version out does anyone know if all the MODS thats required, recommended or compatible with MKS (I use them all) are ok to run with the new .24 version?

RoverDude - as long as I have everything attached by a tube or coupler I should be good right? Also is it normal for the game to slow way down the more pods you link together? I have 9 linked together right now and its so slow I dont want to add anymore takes forever to move around. Will .17 version of MKS work with the new .24 version of KSP?

I can't speak to your lag other than you absolutely should not be mixing older MKS models (anything in 0.17 or older) with the new ones. If in doubt, back up your save and clear the folder out then reinstall.

MKS 0.18.5 works with KSP 0.24 and is already out. 0.18.x is a BREAKING change.

With the new KSP .24 out when I download that can I keep my saved career on the old version and bring it to new version or do you have to start all over again? I see that MKS has a new version out does anyone know if all the MODS thats required, recommended or compatible with MKS (I use them all) are ok to run with the new .24 version?

I can only speak to my mod - if you had a save in 0.23.5 it should be fine from an MKS standpoint in 0.24 because the MKS version (0.18.5)_ works in both. All bets are off for anything else.

Thanks for the help. I do believe Im just going to start from scratch I have a MOD that I really dont care for Near Future Propolusion. Unless Im doing something wrong I can get better results with the LV-N running on orginal fuel then with this mod and all the other thrusters take way too much power to get you any where. Do you use MechJeb? Have you tried KPS Interstellar?

I'm waiting for all the mods to be updated to 0.24 (half are already updated), so I can play with my base on Duna.

EDIT: It's almost a self-sufficient base. Which planet/moon should I colonize next?

I feel dumb can someone tell me how I can keep my saved career game after I install the new KSP .24 x64 for windows? Several of the MODS I use have not updated to the .24 version if I use the outdated version and it works when they do get an update to the MOD will I have to start over in my career to use the new MOD? Again sorry if I sound like an idiot but I never really played games on a computer before but its all I have over here in Afghanistan and I love this game so thanks in advance for the help with this.

I feel dumb can someone tell me how I can keep my saved career game after I install the new KSP .24 x64 for windows? Several of the MODS I use have not updated to the .24 version if I use the outdated version and it works when they do get an update to the MOD will I have to start over in my career to use the new MOD? Again sorry if I sound like an idiot but I never really played games on a computer before but its all I have over here in Afghanistan and I love this game so thanks in advance for the help with this.

I also can not find the TAC LS .9 pre either where do I download this at?

I also can not find the TAC LS .9 pre either where do I download this at?

Can't answer for how other mods work RE breaking saves, best to ask in their thread. There is a link to TAC LS 0.9 pre-release at the top of the MKS release thread.

I understand about the other MODS. Will I be able to keep my base on Mun that I have now or will it have to be wiped out? The new Pods look awesome I cant wait to try them out. So I still have no idea if Im going to have to start over or not in career mode or is there a way to atleast save my rocket designs and tech tree from KSP .23 to the new KSP .24? or is this something I have to ask on another thread? I just want to use your MOD I love building bases and I really don't want to have to start all over in a career again.

Provided not much has changed in the mod, maybe a few lines of code, your normal save should be unaffected by deleting the old mod from the gamedata folder for the updated one (when it comes out of course). That being said I would make a backup of your ksp folder in general just in case something goes bonkers, you know windows is known to have problems (mainly being Windows LOL).

I understand about the other MODS. Will I be able to keep my base on Mun that I have now or will it have to be wiped out? The new Pods look awesome I cant wait to try them out. So I still have no idea if Im going to have to start over or not in career mode or is there a way to atleast save my rocket designs and tech tree from KSP .23 to the new KSP .24? or is this something I have to ask on another thread? I just want to use your MOD I love building bases and I really don't want to have to start all over in a career again.

If you are going from MKS 0.17x to 0.18x, your base is gone, like keys and lava. It is a breaking change.

This mod looks super awesome, but it seems very complex. I really love the idea of building partially or fully sustainable bases (or stations) with greenhouses, but one of the main things that turned me off of BioMass+ was the, in my opinion, over-complexity. Is there a truncated version of this mod that doesn't mess with all the manufacturing and maintenance stuff, or are there any other mods anyone can suggest? I'm going to try this one regardless, maybe it's not as complex as it seems.

At any rate, I appreciate the huge effort that has been put into this mod and others like it. It's awesome.

People have asked about EPL before (I searched before asking myself!) and back in April you said,

It SHOULD play nice - I made sure the resources do not conflict (I use the same names and masses for Ore and Metal). Someone else on the thread did mention adjusting production rates as well. It would also be almost trivial to MM up a new part using the refinery model to make RocketParts. Also, the drills should also work since EPL uses Kethane (there's already a Kethane config in the distro where I modify the stock Kethane drills).

I may have to play with EPL myself and see if I missed anything, but I expect you'll be in good shape.

Anything ever come of this? I love both your mods, and for the first time have them both installed at the same time, but I'm working on a .24 career mode and I'm not particularly close to being able test anything. I suppose I could just mess around in sandbox mode but I thought I'd ask to see if there were any new developments in this that I'd missed.

Based on what you said, they should place nice-ish, but will the production rates be comparable/balanced?

Long term, and admittedly low priority, it'd be cool if you (or someone) made some kind of optional MKS/EPL integration pack. EPL is a sweet concept but those models/textures could sorely use some love, and your modules look so beautiful and stock-fitting. Low priority, I'm sure. But I thought I'd check if there's any new info on that front I didn't see.

This mod looks super awesome, but it seems very complex. I really love the idea of building partially or fully sustainable bases (or stations) with greenhouses, but one of the main things that turned me off of BioMass+ was the, in my opinion, over-complexity. Is there a truncated version of this mod that doesn't mess with all the manufacturing and maintenance stuff, or are there any other mods anyone can suggest? I'm going to try this one regardless, maybe it's not as complex as it seems.

At any rate, I appreciate the huge effort that has been put into this mod and others like it. It's awesome.

Go through the basic tutorial - it gets you almost there, nice and easy, but you just have to get a few tons of supplies to your colony every decade or so.. but it does cut out most of the modules.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Tutorial_00

People have asked about EPL before (I searched before asking myself!) and back in April you said,

Anything ever come of this? I love both your mods, and for the first time have them both installed at the same time, but I'm working on a .24 career mode and I'm not particularly close to being able test anything. I suppose I could just mess around in sandbox mode but I thought I'd ask to see if there were any new developments in this that I'd missed.

Based on what you said, they should place nice-ish, but will the production rates be comparable/balanced?

Long term, and admittedly low priority, it'd be cool if you (or someone) made some kind of optional MKS/EPL integration pack. EPL is a sweet concept but those models/textures could sorely use some love, and your modules look so beautiful and stock-fitting. Low priority, I'm sure. But I thought I'd check if there's any new info on that front I didn't see.

Everything I have heard is that EPL plays nice with MKS. And FYI most of the MKS modules have some EPL workspace capacity

Everything I have heard is that EPL plays nice with MKS. And FYI most of the MKS modules have some EPL workspace capacity

Great to hear! Can't wait to be able to play with it more. It really is a neat mod, it just looks a bit shabby. Hopefully new models and textures will trickle in for it gradually. Baha has done some great work for it.

Edit: Also, thanks for your awesome work. It's wonderful :)

RoverDude, would you be interested to support this plugin?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79745-0-24-KSP-AVC-Add-on-Version-Checker-Plugin-KSP-AVC-Online

I like the idea of an integrated version-checker, because if you play with several mods (like me), checking for updates is always a pain.

FAR already supports it, maybe MKS, Karbonite & Co could boost popularity

RoverDude, would you be interested to support this plugin?

://httpforum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79745-0-24-KSP-AVC-Add-on-Version-Checker-Plugin-KSP-AVC-Online

I like the idea of an integrated version-checker, because if you play with several mods (like me), checking for updates is always a pain.

FAR already supports it, maybe MKS, Karbonite & Co could boost popularity

Let me look at it - it's 4am here, but at least I like the license ;)

Really liking this mod thanks.

Is there a way to make the big habitat torus rotate?

I've looked into it, but do not yet have a solution I am happy with. It's on the issues list though as an eventual enhancement.

I just started a new YouTube series which will focus heavily on MKS ... if you like it, I would really appreciate a "feature" in the OP?

Obviously it's not much yet, but it will explore OKS and MKS and hopefully land kolonies on multiple planets. :)

I noticed you plan to add planetary storage. Check out this mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79010-ResourceRecovery-for-KSPI-EL-and-Kethan-DevThread-alpha-download/page4

Looks quite promising (especially when funds are added)

Edit: And don't forget to add Karbonite support to MKS (Logistics Hub, unless you already did!)

Edited by Stage

Another thing: Could you add a production module for RocketParts from EPL?

As you know, Kethane is broken atm and therefore the converters from EPL won't work, don't know if taniwha will change the converters.

Would be a nice addon to your bases, having the possibility to add launchpads.

Support for DangIt! would be nice too (production of SpareParts, could be the same building as RocketParts production)