[1.0.5] Kip Engineering: All Docking Ports updated for 1.0.5! (11th Nov 2015)

CaptainKipard

Well, I thought it could be useful if I could decide whether I want more or less of a certain thing, like I wouldn't need life support on an automated refueling station, for example, so I could remove the space being used by those life support resource and put that into EC storage instead. Or the opposite - if I have enough EC from other batteries part, I could remove the space being used by the EC resource and use it for life support instead.

I believe the part creator can specify which resource can be stored in a part, and the capacity of a part, so you are in full control of the balance for your part.

Either way, I like these hubs, they sure make stations looks waay better and more compact comparing to other hubs.

I just can't think of a good reason to remove any of the resources I included already. The point was to make those parts more useful than just eye candy. As for adding resources, You can always write a MM patch yourself and post it in here or in the dev thread.

Sorry I'll make the OP a bit less cluttered some time.

The plugin that makes this work is maintained by toadicus. He has his own thread for it, and that's where you get it.

You get the models here, they work like normal ports without the plugin, and are set up to be multi-ports if the plugin is present.

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate your Universal Docking Ports.

It'd be great if I could install them using CKAN. I was willing to write the metadata file myself but am at an impasse. MediaFire is impossible to use as a source because it requires user interaction to click a button besides simply the URL.

If it were hosted on a free site like CurseForge or KerbalStuff it would greatly ease management. (Cybutek has nothing but praise for CurseForge.) KerbalStuff would make CKAN support trivial.

A "depends" stanza could automate inclusion of Toadicus' "AdaptiveDockingNode" thus installing one of the two would request/automatically install the other. This would simplify installation by users as well.

http://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Adding-a-mod-to-the-CKAN

Apologies if I am annoying you.

Edited by Teslamax
suggestions added

I really appreciate your Universal Docking Ports. It'd be great if I could install them using CKAN.

I am willing to write the metadata file myself but am at an impasse. MediaFire is impossible to use as a source because it requires user interaction to click a button besides simply typing the URL.

If it were hosted on a free site like CurseForge or KerbalStuff it would greatly ease management. (Cybutek has nothing but praise for CurseForge.) KerbalStuff would make CKAN support trivial. Another well-supported hosting site is GitHub.

A "depends" stanza could automate inclusion of Toadicus' "AdaptiveDockingNode" thus installing one of the two would suggest/automatically install the other. This would simplify installation by users as well.

http://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Adding-a-mod-to-the-CKAN

I'm not interested in that sorry.

Could you elaborate if possible. Which are you "not interested" in:

• having your part mod available on CKAN
  • hosting it on CurseForge, KerbalStuff, GitHub, etc.

As it is your mod, it is your prerogative to do as yo wish. I am curious as to why you aren't interested.

Again, apologies if I am annoying you.

Merry Christmas!

Quick question: is the multi docking port working on 0.90?

I have it installed in 0.90 and it appears to work fine. However, I have not tested every combination.

Toadicus' companion "AdaptiveDockingNode" dll mod has been upgraded. Version 1.6 of the dll is updated for KSP 0.90 compatibility.

Edited by Teslamax

Could you elaborate if possible. Which are you "not interested" in:

• having your part mod available on CKAN
  • hosting it on CurseForge, KerbalStuff, GitHub, etc.

As it is your mod, it is your prerogative to do as yo wish. I am curious as to why you aren't interested.

Again, apologies if I am annoying you.

Merry Christmas!

Uploading my mod to one place, and extracting it are very simple. This complicates thing needlessly. It's only a small mod with one dependency.

== Low Profile Structural Hub Set ==

Version 2.1 is out

Download Low Profile Structural Hub Set from Mediafire

Changes

v2.1 - 28/12/2014

• Added life support MM patch for ECLSS
  • Made medium parts impassable for Connected Living Space
  • Moved medium parts to earlier in the tech tree
  • Stack symmetry added to some parts
  • Increased shininess

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Is anyone using the 3.75 m hex hubs successfully? I've built stations with two of them and I've noticed that when I add the hub, the station becomes prone to what I guess are phantom forces, and prone to distortion of both the station and its orbit (circular orbits become eccentric), and eventually the station spontaneously flies apart, typically about when I'm either switching crafts or switching to map mode.

(I'm not asking for technical support yet, but can provide output_log.txt and a copy of the save, along with screenshots, once I figure out whether this goes to Cpt. Kipard or Squad.)

Update: I'm using the 2.0 hubs currently, although I don't think upgrading to 2.1 would change anything given what was changed. I'll upgrade anyhow.

I wouldn't even know where to start with something like this. Are the parts that are attached to the hub clipping through eachother?

I don't believe they are, but I'm going to experiment with having only five ports on the hex hub (two vertical, three horizontal) and see if that helps. That idea is based on this screenshot of the aftermath:

zsdK1+

It doesn't look like they're clipping--but maybe their collider meshes are larger and those are clipping...?

Either way, I'll update later.

I have enjoyed using your mod's Please :) keep doing them. :D

I found that you set your docking ports to false for the CLS mod

"description = Docking port capable of attaching to ports of sizes 3.75m and smaller as well as other Universal Docking Ports. Compatible with "Connected Living Space". Impassable.

name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace

passable = false

I changed your CFG file to this

PART
{
name = kipunivdockport375
module = Part
author = Cpt. Kipard

scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

MODEL
{
model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivXLRingModel
}
MODEL
{
model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivLargeRingModel
}
MODEL
{
model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivMedRingModel
}

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

TechRequired = metaMaterials
entryCost = 28000
cost = 3100
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Universal Docking Port X-Large

description = Docking port capable of attaching to ports of sizes 3.75m and smaller as well as other Universal Docking Ports. Compatible with "Connected Living Space". passable.

mass = 0.675
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.25
minimum_drag = 0.25
angularDrag = 0.5
crashTolerance = 30
maxTemp = 3400

MODULE
{
passable = true
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
nodeType = size3
referenceAttachNode = top
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAdaptiveDockingNode
ValidSizes = size0,size1,size2,size3
}
}

PART
{
name = kipunivdockport25
module = Part
author = Cpt. Kipard

scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

MODEL
{
model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivLargeRimModel
}
MODEL
{
model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivLargeRingModel
}
MODEL
{
}

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

TechRequired = metaMaterials
entryCost = 14000
cost = 1550
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Universal Docking Port Large

description = Docking port capable of attaching to ports of sizes 2.5m and smaller as well as other Universal Docking Ports. Compatible with "Connected Living Space". passable.

mass = 0.22
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.25
minimum_drag = 0.25
angularDrag = 0.5
crashTolerance = 30
maxTemp = 3400

MODULE
{
passable = true
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
nodeType = size2
}
MODULE
{
ValidSizes = size0,size1,size2
}
}

PART
{
name = kipunivdockport125
module = Part
author = Cpt. Kipard

scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

MODEL
{
model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivMedRimModel
}
MODEL
{
}

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

TechRequired = specializedConstruction
entryCost = 8000
cost = 450
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Universal Docking Port Medium

description = Docking port capable of attaching to ports of sizes 1.25m and 0.625 as well as other Universal Docking Ports. Compatible with "Connected Living Space". passable.

mass = 0.07
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.25
minimum_drag = 0.25
angularDrag = 0.5
crashTolerance = 30
maxTemp = 3400

MODULE
{
passable = true
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
nodeType = size1
}
MODULE
{
ValidSizes = size0,size1
}
}

Edited by QuazarCa

[table]

[tr]

[td]

== Non-Androgynous Docking Port Set ==

An early set of docking ports that only work with the opposite gender.

Important

• You must install the dependency. Without it the docking ports will behave like regular docking ports, attaching to both the "passive" and "active" parts, and that'll just look weird.

Version 0.9 Features:

• 1.25m docking port set.
  • The active part will only dock to the passive part, and vice versa.
  • Integrated light for easy docking.
  • Available from Advanced Construction, which is before the stock docking ports.
  • Compatible with Connected Living Space. Passable

Download Non-Androgynous Docking Ports from Mediafire

Dependencies

Optional

[/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Usage:

The Non-Androgynous Docking Ports work the same way a regular docking port would, with the following exception.

Thanks to Toadicus' Adaptive Docking Node plugin, the Non-Androgynous Docking Ports only work when paired with the opposite gender of the same docking port. This set of docking ports will only work with eachother.

They are available earlier in the tech tree to allow players to create small space stations and orbit rendezvous mission earlier.

Have fun!

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

For whatever reason sketchfab doesn't render the textures as well as Unity does. The parts look a lot better in the game. I'll have to look into this.

I gave it a nice specular map, making the metal parts actually reflect light properly where all the imperfections are, and the paint, etc.

9CsDWpW.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.