The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

can see this one playing out;

Jeb:"hey, bill..."

Bill: "No. remember what happened last time..."

Jeb: "Awww, just this once? more?"

Bill: "No! we are on a very important mission..."

Later...

Gene: "This is control to Asteroid Mover 1... YOUR MEANT TO BE SAVING THE PLANET, NOT BRINGING THE ASTEROID BACK! If you are trying to 'buzz the tower' in that thing, there's gonna be some serious words..."

I thought the animations didt have (understandable) words?

Werner von Kerman: *waves Gene urgently toward telescope!*

Gene *looks*

Cut to: Class E asteroid, spinning slowly

Gene squabbles angrilly at Werner, Werner starts sketching out a Rocomax tank, there is a general disagrement, then he draws a larger tank

Cut to pad, epic music, Jeb waving goodby...

(later)

Asteroid hits KSC and bounces, Jeb still attached. Gene and Werner facepalm.

Hey Patcher is undergoing a update?

It is unavailable... maybe server is updating?

Squad Patcher

Using rsync-2.0.9

Preparation

Detecting if OS-resident rsync is present...

rsync is not already installed, so making use of bin\rsync.exe.

Authentication

Getting login token...

Your session token is 714c387b-0098-4ca6-8722-a6b95eb6c4e3.

Synchronization

Opening connection to kerbalspaceprogram.com:873 with transport RSYNC...

bin\rsync.exe -zrav --progress rsync://[email protected]:873/kerbalsp.production/KSP_win/ "/cygdrive/c/KSP_win"

2 [main] rsync 6088 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to

the public mailing list [email protected]

rsync asked for authentication, responding...

receiving incremental file list

1356693 [main] rsync 6524 child_info_fork::abort: C:\KSP_win\bin\cygiconv-2.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x5C0000) != child(0x470000)

rsync: fork failed in do_recv: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)

rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at /home/lapo/package/rsync-3.0.9-1/src/rsync-3.0.9/main.c(770) [Receiver=3.0.9]

rsync exited with code 14: Error in IPC code

Cleanup

Cleaning up some leftover files...

Copy pasted from the ARM parts thread. :)

Another thing to point out, I wish the tanks were either 4.2 meters or 4.125 meters. 4.125 would be more logical as it "fits in" more with the other sizes, as it's a multiple of 1/8. The reason being for that is a S-IVB stage is 4.125 meters proportional to the Mk1-2 pod; 4.2 is proportional to the SLS core stage (and STS external tank). But since they're so close, it would make sense to use the 4.125.

I know all the part mods use 3.75 m (KW Rocketry, NovaPunch, Lack SXT), but it really doesn't make much sense other than being in line with the 1.25 m increment used for the other parts.

The sense behind the part sizes is a size factor. It was introduced when EVA was introduced. The parts back then were of the 0.5, 1 and 2 meters diameter. But they appeared to small in comparison to EVA Kerbals. Squad then scaled all parts by a factor of 1.25 and that's how the 0.625, 1.25 and 2.5 meter parts came into existence. The next logical step according to this is 1.25 x 3 meters = 3.75 meters.

The sense behind the part sizes is a size factor. It was introduced when EVA was introduced. The parts back then were of the 0.5, 1 and 2 meters diameter. But they appeared to small in comparison to EVA Kerbals. Squad then scaled all parts by a factor of 1.25 and that's how the 0.625, 1.25 and 2.5 meter parts came into existence. The next logical step according to this is 1.25 x 3 meters = 3.75 meters.

But does that limit the part sizes to increments of 1.25? Is it possible to introduce parts not matching that scale in KSP? I'm curious to know, I'm thinking about learning to make a basic mod that won't use the conventional sizes.

It seems that all the sizes (1 to 1.25, 2 to 2.5, 3 to 3.75) have a ratio of 0.8 with each other. By that logic, could you just take a number, multiply but 0.8, and model it like that for KSP?

But does that limit the part sizes to increments of 1.25? Is it possible to introduce parts not matching that scale in KSP? I'm curious to know, I'm thinking about learning to make a basic mod that won't use the conventional sizes.

It seems that all the sizes (1 to 1.25, 2 to 2.5, 3 to 3.75) have a ratio of 0.8 with each other. By that logic, could you just take a number, multiply but 0.8, and model it like that for KSP?

You can make parts at whatever size you want, there is nothing about the standard sizes that limits the use of other sizes. If you don't want inline parts to look goofy you might need to add some kind of adapter though.

There has been more activity on steam in the last few minutes. Someone just uploaded new versions to experimentals. It looks like a dev worked through sunday. People don't sacrifice weekends for something weeks away from release. Beta testers will no doubt play through the night. I would.

But does that limit the part sizes to increments of 1.25? Is it possible to introduce parts not matching that scale in KSP?
There already are, inasmuch as the Mk2 and Mk3 spaceplane parts don't properly match the regular rocket parts.

Being in line with the mod parts may be a factor in putting the NASA parts at 3.75 m. The size also has the advantage of nicely matching a cluster of 7 1.25 m parts (and I'm a touch disappointed to not see an adapter for the purpose, though there's always the cuboct struts).

The main engine update that will be taken advantage of is an improved joint-physics model. Between that, and some other tweaks, the ARM update will have massively improved joint stability. We won't need 100+ struts on a heavy lifter, anymore.

yay...

finally....

that means i could finally built a ship that can go >100m/s that wont break one by one...... :D