[WIP] Loading textures only as required

Faark

I believe its detailed somewhere on the KSP wiki.

I'll have a look at that...

On a different note, Faark, if you have time, I wonder if you could have a look at why Procedural Parts doesn't like to play well with LOD? With both installed, the textures for the parts are stuck in the preview mode and never go to full resolution. I know for a fact it's something to do with the way the two interact, as I've tried running them together on a bare-bones installation, and PP works fine until you install LOD, after which time the textures get stuck in preview mode. Up until now, I've been using StretchySRB instead, as it's worked just fine, but it looks like PP is nearing release and it will be the only one of the two that will get any updates moving forward.

Thanks.

Hey, any update on the blackened textures I reported awhile ago?

I deleted my cache a couple days ago in an attempt to resolve the issue, but all that did was switch-up the parts with missing/black textures. Most of them are the same as the first time round, but now there's new black-texture parts, while others, which exhibited the issue before, are now properly rendered...

I can provide logs if you need them...

Ok, so I've managed to figure out why procedural parts and LOD weren't playing nice together. The lines like "NEEDS[RealFuels&!ModularFuelTanks]" in the PP configs that only enable certain parts when certain mod configurations are in place were causing the problem. I'm guessing that LOD was loading the part textures before these instructions were executed, which caused LOD to load the textures for parts that ended up getting removed and replaced by other parts which weren't in existence when LOD did its pass, causing the parts to load without any proper textures.

Commenting out the lines fixed the issue, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to get LOD to either load after MM has made all its modifications, or for it to make two passes to verify everything is correct after MM.

Ok, so I've managed to figure out why procedural parts and LOD weren't playing nice together. The lines like "NEEDS[RealFuels&!ModularFuelTanks]" in the PP configs that only enable certain parts when certain mod configurations are in place were causing the problem. I'm guessing that LOD was loading the part textures before these instructions were executed, which caused LOD to load the textures for parts that ended up getting removed and replaced by other parts which weren't in existence when LOD did its pass, causing the parts to load without any proper textures.

Commenting out the lines fixed the issue, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to get LOD to either load after MM has made all its modifications, or for it to make two passes to verify everything is correct after MM.

Would that be the same reason why I'm getting black textures on some of my parts?

Also, I'm not getting any problems with any of the procedural mods I have (wings, parts, tanks, fairings). And I don't run Real Fuels, just Modulars...

Would that be the same reason why I'm getting black textures on some of my parts?

Also, I'm not getting any problems with any of the procedural mods I have (wings, parts, tanks, fairings). And I don't run Real Fuels, just Modulars...

The black textures seem to be the result of improper transparencies with TGA and PNG files. I have had the same problems on and off with certain parts (most notably the ALCOR) and haven't had much luck getting rid of it. That said, for a while with v3 (not 3.1 of LOD) and having converted those textures to TGA, everything was working fine. Then with the 3.1 update and the changes to TGA loading, it went back to being black. Basically my only recommendation is try rolling back to v3 and converting the offending textures to TGA and see what happens.

As for the issues with RF versus MFT, the way the configs are written, the original parts default to the ones which include MFT and then only switch to the ones with RF if RF is present instead of MFT. I'll bet if you delete MFT and install RF, you'll get the same issues I was having. Also, this only applied to PP as the rest of the procedurals don't have this kind of code in their configs.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd really like to at least see a recompile for the latest KSP version. It keeps failing to initialize properly in .24.

You don't really need this any more since the new KSP version supports x64 data handling, which means "UNLIMITED POWAH!"- no more RAM cap (other than your on-board RAM limits).

Granted, with a bunch of mods, the game takes hella long to load up, which makes a mod like this useful still...

Plus, with KSP eating a full 6GB of RAM now on my end, alt-tabbing is really not fun...

You don't really need this any more since the new KSP version supports x64 data handling, which means "UNLIMITED POWAH!"- no more RAM cap (other than your on-board RAM limits).

Granted, with a bunch of mods, the game takes hella long to load up, which makes a mod like this useful still...

Plus, with KSP eating a full 6GB of RAM now on my end, alt-tabbing is really not fun...

I would not abandon LoD as it will still be an boost to performance because of the textures loading in the VAB and SPH.

Just popping in to see if this is still alive? Haven't heard anything from Faark in weeks...

Yes sry, i'm pretty busy with my education atm, thus barely any time for KSP. I've now enabled email notifications for PMs, so...

I'd really like to at least see a recompile for the latest KSP version. It keeps failing to initialize properly in .24.

Shouldn't be a problem, just did and will have a test run and upload if there are no issues.

*Edit* Done, no issues on my stock KSP 0.24 test flight (both 32/64): v3.2 (same as v3.1 but works with KSP 0.24)

[..]

Having all stuff load at startup is still crap imo, and not just because of load times. But cant blame Squad for doing so, just Unity for not providing the necessary tools.

Edited by Faark

Also, this is still indispensable for people who don't have more than 4GB of RAM. I'm stuck with a 32bit system until November or December. I'll be upgrading, but that means building a new PC (except the graphics card, I'm swapping everything out).

Thanks for the recompile, I am actually able to run the x64 version, but I am also running on a laptop with limited processing and memory capabilities. It's more of a performance thing, mainly in the VAB/SPH scenes, than anything else. Load time is a little better too.

EDIT: Ahh Crud! I'm still getting the error that it was unable to bridge the gap, or something to do with a native bridge of some sort failing. Who are these "natives" and how can I convince them to behave?

Edited by Gaalidas

So I tested this with the new x64 version and my "standard" modlist, minus a couple that still haven't been updated, and it gives me the standard "game out of memory" crash after the loading screen. Task Manager puts KSP_x64.exe's memory usage around 3GB, give or take.

Tested on both Full and Half Res and both with and without ATM.

Here's a log.

Also, this is still indispensable for people who don't have more than 4GB of RAM. I'm stuck with a 32bit system until November or December. I'll be upgrading, but that means building a new PC (except the graphics card, I'm swapping everything out).

You need x64 version of VCREDIST for x64 LoD and KSP ;)

Shouldn't be a problem, just did and will have a test run and upload if there are no issues.

*Edit* Done, no issues on my stock KSP 0.24 test flight (both 32/64): v3.2 (same as v3.1 but works with KSP 0.24)

I'm not entirely sure what it means, but I got a message on the start screen saying "LoadOnDemand has detected a problem and might not work properly. Failed to create NativeBridge, even legacy mode!Contained ex..." I am using a number of mods, though.

Can you do a recompile of v3.0 DLL? It doesn't throw in as many black textures as 3.1.

This.

Also, the current LoD v3.2 crashes the x64 KSP version on my end shortly after loading screen. Even on the lowest resolution settings. Memory footprint is under 2.5GB.

Game is capable of loading without it on High Res.

I'm not entirely sure what it means, but I got a message on the start screen saying "LoadOnDemand has detected a problem and might not work properly. Failed to create NativeBridge, even legacy mode!Contained ex..." I am using a number of mods, though.

Exactly what I'm getting.

3.2 seems to work fine so far with the new gameversion, but there is a mod that is breaking LoD. KerbalMechanics, and the strange thing about it, it was a MM file from the mod that made LoD crash.

Was just trying the mod, because of the nice mechanic to repair broken parts, but I don't want to play without LoD so I removed KerbalMechanics.

I am happy to report that it's not throwing an error at me anymore... I just have not successfully launched the game yet due to other errors much like what it being experienced by the above poster. I both love and really hate updates to KSP.

Still no luck on getting LoD 3.2 to work with KSPx64...

Here's the latest output_log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wejiecza4jfux9/output_log.txt

And here's the log from the LoD folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9papu709ycfdci/LoadOnDemand.log

Also for some reason- I'm lacking the config file in the folder...

Edit:

Also no luck with getting things to work with KSPx32.

Output_Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gntw9w47e6932cr/output_log.txt

LoD log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eu94d2fi7gfaqc1/LoadOnDemand.log

For reference, the game loads without LoD on High Res. x64 at least...

Edited by BananaDealer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.