B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

Hey Chris, that is looking super. Here is something i was doodling. would be a crew tank and canadarm / docking station.

XoqWTiI.png

3/4 crew, one or two of which face rearward out the windows to observe the payload and operate the robot arm. Maybe windows either side of where the docking node would be. The player could then mount external cameras near the docking node to work with RPM monitors.

2.5/3 ton mass?

Yeah I'm going to make something like that, you can actually define RPM cameras in your model, and you can make custom RPM MFDs that show those cameras specifically etc, or just use the stock monitors, I'd like the docking port to extend a bit on a telescopic collar like arrangement as well so that it clears the fuselage a bit, wondering if I should make one version that works both with S2/S2WB and HL cargo bays or one for each, in theory an S2 sized one would be large enough to be comfortable to use well, but it might look a bit small inside the HL cargo bay. And the telescoping collar would need to clear more fuselage if it's attached using the center node still, could make it surface attachable I guess to allow a higher mounting, or include 2 nodes one for S2 one for HL placement, hmm.

Really wish there was a canada arm mod with some API to tie into for IVA controls along with a RPM camera on the tip etc, that'd be awesome. What canada arm mods are there btw? I know of the ancient romfarer lazor based one but I'm not sure it still works/still maintained, there are some IR parts that fit the bill, I remember a IR based part pack with small cubes with nodes on several sides to help you make folding canada arms etc but I can't remember the name of it

I think you mean dromoman-pack? It still works...more or less, although it needs some changes to its config files and needs Infernal Robotics obviously.

Also, will future B9 release only have the HL cockpit or also those crew 'tanks'/hull sections?

Also, will future B9 release only have the HL cockpit or also those crew 'tanks'/hull sections?

Basically everything, though we still have to firmly decide on how many variants of the S2 tank we'll have.

I wouldn't mind having a science lab version, but bac9 has the final words there :)

Speaking of bac9. Why did not update his mods?:huh:

RL reasons, though frankly the fan-updates have been serviceable, the 3 of us are working on the next official release that incorporates some of those fan fixes or similar solutions, along with new content, some of which is this mod and other stuff I'm working on, the re-hauled S3 cockpit tav showed a couple posts ago I'll make an IVA for (possibly shifted to the release after this one), changing all the fuselage pieces to be one part in the editor and you pick which kind of fuel+texture if any you want using firespitter+tweakables and some new adapters and similar to fit with the current fuselage shapes along with a brand new part size/shape from bac9.

Very nice work! ...But, I would like to second what Wasmic said a couple of pages ago. I love the S2 parts, partly in fact because of the nice roomy IVA in the cockpit, but I'm a builder of spacecraft not aircraft, and I'd really like a lower-occupancy version that feels more like a long-term crew habitat...

(...And I do have to admit that the new non-symmetrical windows really bug me, but that's entirely my problem! :) )

Very nice work! ...But, I would like to second what Wasmic said a couple of pages ago. I love the S2 parts, partly in fact because of the nice roomy IVA in the cockpit, but I'm a builder of spacecraft not aircraft, and I'd really like a lower-occupancy version that feels more like a long-term crew habitat...

As said I've dropped the 6m to 12 kerbals + 1x 2m worth of fuel+oxi/only fuel instead of a lower floor, and an even lower capacity version with beds, a desk etc is in the plans.

(...And I do have to admit that the new non-symmetrical windows really bug me, but that's entirely my problem! :) )

Yeah the vertically centered windows looks nicer but when you consider the interior has enough vertical space to fit 2 floors with room to spare... it doesn't make a lot of sense, it's like a 2 story building with one set of windows on the vertical middle, you'd get a tiny gap of a window bellow the floor on the top story and a similar small gap of a window on the bottom floor, as my precious IVA attempts without the modified exterior show.

And windows through a heat-shield is a pretty big no-no at least imo, though I know that line of what is realistic and what isn't and what level of realism they prefer differs person to person, I could in theory make an alternate version with windows on the heatshield that close similar to the top ones but that's a lot of extra effort and then I'd need to maintain 2 versions of the same part etc, when making content like this you need at some point step back and allocate effort in the way you think makes the most sense, if you try to please everyone you'll end up pleasing no-one because it will take a lot of time between releases and you'll paint yourself into a corner maintenance wise.

Edited by K3|Chris

K3, I think regarding the S2/HL Cargobay airlock/crewtank, making it small enough to snugly fit in the S2 fuselage would be fine.

DkGS9Hjl.png

That there is your S2 2M crewtank upended and stuffed into the HL fuselage. Looks fine to me.

Also as far as a docking collar that extends, maybe have it be a separate part, with an attach node on the crewtank where you would expect to place the docking port? That way people can choose to use another type of docking port (in my case, Fustek ICAMB).

If you look at this photo of Shuttle Endeavour docked to the ISS http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Space_Shuttle_docked_to_ISS.jpg you will see that the docking port doesn't clear the shuttle's fuselage, but instead the station's pressurised module adapter gives plenty of clearance between orbiter and station.

We both got burned out after the .22 update.

That is understandable. But it is really an amazing mod, so many cool parts.

Well the airbrakes are a bit annoying to set up in breaks action Group, but aside of that the parts look so cool.

All I'll say is bac9 is generally not fond of the idea of non-generic docking ports, or inline stack parts solely for docking.

Hence the CDP adapter.

Yeah but the CDP adapter doesn't fit that well in a cargo bay, no real point having double-shielding though yeah if I just put a node on the part you can either use a stock docking port, the CDP radially attached to the surface or anything else you might want.

The inline stack part would allow various functions including docking through the cargo bay but would also have an IVA and airlock for entering the cargo bay through pod/crewtank connect to it if that makes sense, and an RPM setup inside could be used to do the docking and control a canada arm to manipulate your bay's payload etc. With the benefit of being able to see different views through RPM cameras/monitors and out the window overlooking the cargo bay.

That is understandable. But it is really an amazing mod, so many cool parts.

Well the airbrakes are a bit annoying to set up in breaks action Group, but aside of that the parts look so cool.

Well you don't always want to link the wheel brakes and airbrakes imo, I prefer starting with the airbrakes when I land and then as I get a bit slower tap the wheel brakes, applying full wheel brakes and airbrakes is a good way to break something from my experience.

Edited by K3|Chris

Video showing the FireSpitter animated controls of the WIP B9 HL Cockpit, joystick does pitch and roll, pedals yaw and brakes, pedals also operate landing gear turn if bound to same controls as yaw (is by default).