[WIP] [0.23.5] AKSP - Suborbital Space Transport

stoland

Hi All,

This will be my first project involving a full mod. Any help, suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.

The propulsion is four rocket engines, each producing 12.9 kN (2900 lbf) vacuum thrust with kerosene and liquid oxygen propellants.

This project is being being based on actual technology in place now or in production and will be based on the Lynx Sub Orbital Space Transport. It will not be an exact replica and will be made to suit KSP.

This one or two-seat, piloted space transport vehicle will take Kerbal's and payloads on a half-hour suborbital flight to 100 km (330,000 feet) and then return safely to a landing at the take-off runway.

The dorsal will carry the payload that can be launched into low Kerbin orbit which such as satellites or an additional fuel supply that can be jettisoned allowing additional run time for orbital transfers.

NOTE: There will be continual ongoing development to perfect everything so model images may change as this is only based on the Lynx and will not be an exact replica.

Concept Image

imE7dja.png

Initial design with dorsal

qbrQtdh.png

Additional work completed

F82imQx.png

Engines

s45kUdy.png

Edited by stoland
Update 16/04/2014

Looks really nice! Great work! :)

Thanks. Still in early DEV. Internal models have partially been done and just working out the pressurised cabin and access rules.

Hardest part at present is keeping the all models lines clean while keeping the TRI count down as well working on the splitting into multiple parts for two versions.

A lot to learn.

Actually, they need to be split off especially if you're using FAR. It can't model them properly otherwise. Also, the vertical fins need to be separate from main wings, too.

Wings will have to be definitely split so its just working out how best to do this which I think I may have worked it out. Will post a image shortly.

Impact not splitting the wings will be on the return journey not necessarily on the ascention as propulsion is four XR-5K18 rocket engines, each producing 12.9 kN (2900 lbf) vacuum thrust with kerosene and liquid oxygen propellants.

FYI: Found a good cockpit mockup that I intend to use

lynx-cockpit-mockup.jpeg

Thanks guys.

Wings will have to be definitely split so its just working out how best to do this which I think I may have worked it out. Will post a image shortly.

Impact not splitting the wings will be on the return journey not necessarily on the ascention as propulsion is four XR-5K18 rocket engines, each producing 12.9 kN (2900 lbf) vacuum thrust with kerosene and liquid oxygen propellants.

FYI: Found a good cockpit mockup that I intend to use

http://orbitaloutfitters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/lynx-cockpit-mockup.jpeg

Thanks guys.

So they use raster prop monitor too.

And even navball like ours.

Reworked model with minor changes to make until I am happy with TRI count and silhouette.

kEH12HJ.png

I think the nose needs a nose job still....

Wings are now separate as are the control surface. (3 Control surfaces per wing)

Nose cone is a separate part.

Dorsal is a separate part but still in progress of sorting functionality out. Will release payloads and multiple nano loads into low orbits.

Internal cosmetics are coming along...Screen emits light to give that nice LCD glow.(Light point source and should give a nice cockpit haze)

EVac4nA.png

Edited by stoland

So they use raster prop monitor too.

And even navball like ours.

Each seat will have an MFD once approved and the cockpit will be as close to the image as possible. A few additional cosmetics behind the seats to add glamour at the back of the cockpit.

Xcor cockpit does look similar to KSP Navball and also RPM =) (I like the quad monitor with the 4 X PIP)

Edited by stoland

I am using Blender 2.7.

Textures being done in Inkscape and Gimp.

Models will look a lot better as only in the stage where I am getting the fuselage sorted out for silhouette and dimensions.. Canopy changes will be completed later with more detail. Currently testing ideas for textures and also working on IVA, landing gear and animated parts.

Update:

Have cleaned the vertices and now happy with the way it can be split into segregate parts. (I want the cleanest silhouette possible with the lowest TRI count

1) Nose cone - avionics

2) Nose cone - RCS

3) Fuselage

4) Canopy

5) Wings

7) Control surfaces

5bOn7qu.png

After additional help and ideas on the quad LOX/Kero engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.