every update...do you?

lammatt

do you start a new save clean without mod (until they are updated too)

i do.

but it's kind of getting repetitive and dull now...(because of the earlier parts of the tech tree is pretty boring indeed)

i am having a feeling the first few missions are pretty much standard for many people

1: on the launch pad ~10science

2: hovering a little ~20science

3: fly higher ~50

4: low orbit ~50

5: high orbit ~50 (unlock goo)

6: Mun flyby ~150 (unlock material bay)

7: Minmus flyby ~150

8: high above Sun ~600

(you dont probably try to land and return before this point, because you dont have the lander legs; of cos you can land on the engines, they are quite strong...but just why would you)

but the problem is... these are indeed very unimaginative; all you have to do is to snap a capsule,some liquid engines, some solid boosters, some more solid boosters and some control surfaces together...

you dont even have to guess if you would have enough fuel or thrust because you probably have more than enough. (perhaps you bother to actually to the additions for the masses of the parts but i dont)

Edited by lammatt

well i dont play career mode anyway (I almost never find grinding in games to be the slightest bit amusing), i just play sandbox like i always did prior to 0.23 or whenever it was added

so do you start clean or if you try to fix the save files if it breaks: because of malfunctioning mods)

I don't play career mode, so I don't do any of these things. I normally build a quick rocket to test out the new features, then I wait for my essential mods. After that, I tweak my save until everything is ready for primetime, then I start on/continue something epic!

yes lammatt, that is basically what I do, but it is the logical progression. Its what rocket scientists did here on earth too, why should it be different anywhere else, baby steps. If you are expecting a patch to change all that, well, my question would be, how would that make any sense??

If you want an insanely hard game where you have to sit infront of your comp holding a scientific calculator and all and have all these calculations memorized, well don't you think that 99% of the community would get fed up with the game??

The joy of this game is that any joe shmo can play this,, learn a decent amount about rocket science, build some god knows what,, fly it to a planet, land and return.

Hell I play this game WITHOUT mechjeb which I think is a total "gimme free everything", but I don't mind people that use it. I like to build, launch, see what I did wrong, redesign, and FLY AGAIN!! (Possibly explode again)

If you find it too easy, well, try to make a way more efficient rocket design. just my 2 cents. And if its still too easy try mods like deadly reentry, any of the life support mods, or any of the mods that already add missions with money, there's plenty out there.

If you find it too easy, well, try to make a way more efficient rocket design. just my 2 cents. And if its still too easy try mods like deadly reentry, any of the life support mods, or any of the mods that already add missions with money, there's plenty out there.

i think you probably didnt read what i posted....

i said "until they (the mods)are updated too"

do you realize many mods are broken now?

Edited by lammatt

i do.

but it's kind of getting repetitive and dull now...(because of the earlier parts of the tech tree is pretty boring indeed)

i am having a feeling the first few missions are pretty much standard for many people

(you dont probably try to land and return before this point, because you dont have the lander legs; of cos you can land on the engines, they are quite strong...but just why would you)

but the problem is... these are indeed very unimaginative; all you have to do is to snap a capsule,some liquid engines, some solid boosters, some more solid boosters and some control surfaces together...

you dont even have to guess if you would have enough fuel or thrust because you probably have more than enough. (perhaps you bother to actually to the additions for the masses of the parts but i dont)

Why are you staying on the launch pad, then hovering etc.? Steps 1-4 can be done in your first flight quite easily. Plus, you can do landings and sample returns easily using the girders.

Why are you staying on the launch pad, then hovering etc.? Steps 1-4 can be done in your first flight quite easily. Plus, you can do landings and sample returns easily using the girders.

why would i bother to transmit

i just launch another ship

I do start a new save, though I am somewhat more efficient at accumulating science. My third launch landed on Minmus. I'm not sure what to do next yet, probably Mun landing, although I already have the mainsail, and probably could easily go to Duna. I am trying to get enough parts for the first asteroid in 95 days.

why would i bother to transmit

i just launch another ship

You can just keep the data and return it for almost a full investment. You can do a lot more if you use your engine to power your transmissions along the way.

If you find it repetitive and dull, start trying to do things faster and more efficiently, the game wont get harder for you.

i do.

I haven't had that many very long save files, except back in .20 before the save-break of .21. I aim to have a long-term save file once, but since im continuously learning right now i usually start a new save when a new update comes out.

My science progress.. is slightly different though xD. I have a single craft (Aptly named KameKameHa) which consists only of tier 0 parts which can attain a stable equatorial orbit and return the pod safely. With the only current limitation on it being the lack of electrical power once in orbit, i can still manage to gather a whole lot of science - typical mission consisting of a few crashes (it actually has engines that serve solely for exploding another part), followed by research on:

1. Launchpad (no EVA - pod is too high up)

2. Flying above the surface - EVA and crew report

3. Upper atmosphere EVA and crew report. Up to here, i can send all my reports because i have my engines generating power.

4. Crew report in lower orbit - EVA reports above most of the biomes of Kerbin

5. EVA report, crew report and surface sample from whereever i happen to land on Kerbin.

Usually gets me pretty far. The craft itself is, however veeery precariously, able to fly out to the moon and grab a snap from high orbit. However, attempting this usually leads to being flung into a very high Kerbin orbit, and you'll need a reverse lunar gravity assist to get back.

So i don't mind starting again too much, mostly since i haven't been far outside Kerbin's SOI.

Usually I start out with a fresh new save to avoid any conflicts and just dabble around trying out new stock features until my favorite mods get updated/veryfied and I install them back again.

I actually like the first part of career mode best and even think that progression is a bit fast. (BTSM stretches this phase of the game nicely!)

In MMOs for me it starts to get a bit boring in a way as soon as the levels/skillpoints to distribute come slower and slower. On occasion I spent more time in character creation apps than the actual game! :P

I have one install with mods and one pure vanilla. I update the mods as early as possible... But when playing career mode, i like to try different stuff... Like shooting a solid fuel rocket in a ballistic arc to the poles to get science from there first... There are so many possibilities to get science in different and crazy ways... I want em all!

Clean install, remove stock ships, add saved ships from previous install. Abandon game unless/until KER and KAC are working with it. ARM could happily survive alongside earlier versions even if the other mods I'm using in those - most importantly SCANSat - aren't available since the asteriods are their own 'reason' and I don't necessarily need mapping (which is the 'reason' for the mission-structure in my previous versions).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.