Would you like adding money/economy to the career mode?

I think it'd be a great way to add limitations and difficulty to the game but I wouldn't want it to ruin the sandbox gameplay we have now by introducing "railroading" elements such as forced progression. I'm sure it'll add some sort of natural progression, though, and that's fine.

My hope is that money factors in as a way to manage project sizes, with budgetary "targets" and the like, rather than earning/spending from an on-going cash pool. But we'll see. Since unlocks in the tech tree have costs associated as well, my suspicion is that it'll be the regular earn-and-spend model.

I think it'd be a great way to add limitations and difficulty to the game but I wouldn't want it to ruin the sandbox gameplay we have now by introducing "railroading" elements such as forced progression. I'm sure it'll add some sort of natural progression, though, and that's fine.

But this is only for career, you can still playing sandbox mode

But this is only for career, you can still playing sandbox mode

Not sure if you've noticed but career mode is still a sandbox and KSP revolves around sandbox-style play.

I'm looking forward to the full career mode. Actually having to look at costs will add a completely new dimension to building rockets, not to mention giving more complex cargo-spaceplanes as well as orbital construction (via docking) more weight. Atm career is pretty much a sandbox mode with part-progression.

Imo railroading shouldn't be much of an issue. KSP is a rather open game, so there is much room for adding career-customization and levels of difficulty/progression.

btw: Also boosters are commonly used because they are cheaper than rockets :D

Edited by Temeter

I'm very much looking forward to the economy being implemented. A well done economy adds the strategic element of "how do I pay for this" to the tactical element of "how do I get there". I know I'd hate to pay for most of the stuff I throw together and add moar boosters to! :)

I'm looking forward to money being a part of KSP career mode. Currently, the only limiting factor in career mode is the parts you have available. It turns out limited parts is actually an incentive to create massive complicated rockets - as you climb the tech tree, designed tend to become more efficient and stream-lined. Money adds pressure toward simplified (i.e. more cost effective) designs.

I hope they build in some wiggle room in finances - I imagine that KSP experts would look at budgets and go "That's a lot of money" while KSP newbs might go, "How do I do that with so little cash?" Also, I hope that reusable designs become more prevalent so that money can be saved.

I can imagine that it will be very difficult to set reasonable prices for purchasing each part. I'm looking forward to having to plan missions more thoroughly though. At the moment it's kind of a case of interplanetary = nukes, take as many solar panels as you can be bothered to fit on your ship etc.

The game will be much better if players can utilise a budget efficiently to progress faster. The budget will have to be fairly large to accommodate newcomers, but if you are clever about your budget then you should be able to get ahead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.