[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

Hey I like your craft. What part mods are you using?

Thank you,

The side tanks and decouplers are from Procedural Parts with blackhearts stock engine retextures on each end. The attachment wings are from Nova Punch and lighting done by Surface Lights. Next the docking port/parachute/lights are from the SDHI pack and science parts from Baha's drills and DOrbital. Lastly the as I mentioned earlier, the crew cabin and the underbody engines are from Near Future Construction which I rescaled to 1.5 and adjusted mass/thrust/fuel consumption slightly to accommodate. The landing legs and solar panels are from AIES.

Thank you,

The side tanks and decouplers are from Procedural Parts with blackhearts stock engine retextures on each end. The attachment wings are from Nova Punch and lighting done by Surface Lights. Next the docking port/parachute/lights are from the SDHI pack and science parts from Baha's drills and DOrbital. Lastly the as I mentioned earlier, the crew cabin and the underbody engines are from Near Future Construction which I rescaled to 1.5 and adjusted mass/thrust/fuel consumption slightly to accommodate. The landing legs and solar panels are from AIES.

Did you fix the landing legs they where showing errors in debug screen?

EDIT LOL to funny

Edited by Mecripp2

Did you fix the landing legs they where showing errors in debug screen?

I havent fixed or adjusted the legs, and have not noticed any errors on my end. However, one issue I did notice was that when I have that vessel as the focus and fast forward time, they tend to retract on their own. Thankfully this girl has a fat bottom to sit on, so it didnt topple over. :)

Disregard all I stated above!! ROFL, I restated game and went to that vessel, and all was not right in the world. On my main game, I have been using the stock legs, and these little buggers appear to have slipped by undetected. So, yeah, those legs are not fixed. Sorry for the false positive there. :)

Edited by GeoPhizzix
corrected flase positive

So odd problem with this capsule, unzipped it to the gamedata directory, researched it, went to the VAB, added it as the first part and hit launch. The solid rockets built in were already firing, it flung itself a bit up into the air, then came down.

Is this mod not fully compatible with KSP 0.23? (Not 0.23.5)

Yeah, I'm experiencing the same bug... Solid boosters in the capsule activate on vessel unpack at the launchpad...

Otherwise, really beautiful design. I've been needing a 3m capsule for my Duna mothership...

Now if only there was a proper heatshield for it...

So odd problem with this capsule, unzipped it to the gamedata directory, researched it, went to the VAB, added it as the first part and hit launch. The solid rockets built in were already firing, it flung itself a bit up into the air, then came down.

Is this mod not fully compatible with KSP 0.23? (Not 0.23.5)

I too seem to have the "launch boosters already active at launch" bug. For now i just threw the thrust limiter on and drained the solid fuel using tweakables.
Yeah, I'm experiencing the same bug... Solid boosters in the capsule activate on vessel unpack at the launchpad...

Otherwise, really beautiful design. I've been needing a 3m capsule for my Duna mothership...

Now if only there was a proper heatshield for it...

Hmmm... Neither of us experienced that bug before - I don't believe anything is too new for it to work with .23.

For now, I'd suggest trying to reinstall it (or at least the plugin packaged with the capsule), and we'll look into trying to reproduce and fix the problem.

Yes, yes, YES! I have been waiting for a 3.75m command pod for so long!

This is definitely going to be a "must-have" mod for me.

I do have one suggestion: 5 crew seems a little small for a capsule of this size, since its habitable volume is probably close to triple that of the 2.5m pod. 6-7 kerbals seems more reasonable.

Hmmm... Neither of us experienced that bug before - I don't believe anything is too new for it to work with .23.

For now, I'd suggest trying to reinstall it (or at least the plugin packaged with the capsule), and we'll look into trying to reproduce and fix the problem.

Reinstalling the thing doesn't seem to have fixed the issue...

I remember having the same troubles with the Dragon capsule back a few months which inevitably made me give up on the pack altogether...

Quite nice, though the full grid of windows on the top isn't that realistic or stock looking, and you'll realize it's pretty hard to make usable IVA with a window setup like that, some gaps between the windows for vertical instrument panels like the stock 1-2 pod helps a proper IVA to come together, full row of windows requires a more dash-board like layout.

Quite nice, though the full grid of windows on the top isn't that realistic or stock looking, and you'll realize it's pretty hard to make usable IVA with a window setup like that, some gaps between the windows for vertical instrument panels like the stock 1-2 pod helps a proper IVA to come together, full row of windows requires a more dash-board like layout.

I have a feeling that this pod's going to have a Shuttle-esque IVA, so I'm not sure a Mk. 1-2 style IVA would work. Take for instance the Orion CEV's cockpit (http://collectspace.com/review/orion_interior01.jpg http://collectspace.com/review/orion_windows01.jpg), which shares more similarities with NASA's shuttle cockpit than any previous capsule. I personally think that this IVA will give us a great field of view for docking, and will allow for some beautiful views while underway on those crazy IVA-only missions in comparison to previous capsules.

Since this is a larger capsule, I'm guessing it's ideal use would be for longer range interstellar manned vehicles. Thus a conventional "bridge" appearance would seem more likely...

Something like the A380 cockpit design, I would imagine...

I have a feeling that this pod's going to have a Shuttle-esque IVA, so I'm not sure a Mk. 1-2 style IVA would work. Take for instance the Orion CEV's cockpit (http://collectspace.com/review/orion_interior01.jpg http://collectspace.com/review/orion_windows01.jpg), which shares more similarities with NASA's shuttle cockpit than any previous capsule. I personally think that this IVA will give us a great field of view for docking, and will allow for some beautiful views while underway on those crazy IVA-only missions in comparison to previous capsules.

Those are 2 small windows facing forwards and 2 small windows facing sideways, not a wall of glass.

Those are 2 small windows facing forwards and 2 small windows facing sideways, not a wall of glass.

I'm not talking about the windows. Look at the control panels. They're set up like the 'dash' you were describing earlier, much more similar to an aircraft rather than a traditional capsule's 'Great Wall of Gauges' (or MFD's in this case). But, on the subject of the windows, I think they oughta be kept. They give the capsule a very unique feel and look to it, and it'll make the IVA that much more different and interesting, rather than just another Apollo/Mercury-throwback IVA. Simply put, it'll stand out, and I like it for that.

as for the grid of windows, I think it's quite suitable. It would be amazing if from the IVA view they were done in a fashion reminiscent of the Kerbonov Kn-2 cockpit, which also has grid windows.

aGyWWSk.jpg

12040414205_2fa6f0938d.jpg

as for the grid of windows, I think it's quite suitable. It would be amazing if from the IVA view they were done in a fashion reminiscent of the Kerbonov Kn-2 cockpit, which also has grid windows.

http://i.imgur.com/aGyWWSk.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/12040414205_2fa6f0938d.jpg

A grid with windows would be fine for a low/mid altitude plane in real life. But when your capsule needs to be able to endure the G-forces of ascent and reentry, not to mention the strains of space, you better go with something more sturdy...

A grid with windows would be fine for a low/mid altitude plane in real life. But when your capsule needs to be able to endure the G-forces of ascent and reentry, not to mention the strains of space, you better go with something more sturdy...

Ah, but the caveat you're missing here is that this is not real life. This is a game, which in no way, shape, nor form models the stresses put on windows during re-entry. Hence, your argument is moot, and I'm still really excited to see this Capsule's IVA when completed.

Addendum: If you're still set on ragging on the grid-windows, I present to you the windscreen of the Space Shuttle. It has the same number of windows (six) layed out in a curved line much as this capsule has, with another two atop: http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/iss_11_24/i12_028388.jpg. I might digress and say the midline of the Taurus' windows should have more space akin to the shuttle, but it's good As-is in my opinion.

Edited by Joe 2.0

This was a bit tough for us to decide on as well, but for ease of docking with a (presumably) large and heavy spacecraft, and for impressive views of the inky abyss, we gave it some extra-large windows.

As for the IVA, it'll likely be somewhat Dragon-inspired, somewhat Stock Mk 1-2 inspired, and somewhat Shuttle inspired, basically whatever fits visually.