Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

I am reconfiguring the fuel cell and electrolysis parts to work with TAC life support for myself and in the process I found that the fuel cell is lossy.

I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the fuel cell is only producing 99.36% of the water it should be according to the chemistry. It should be producing 0.0000524178 L/s and it's only producing 0.0000520833 L/s.

Daishi's videos show exactly the behavior I experienced. I found that if I had less weight on the joints (i.e. stacking just the bays without anything in them) I could usually get somewhere from 10-15 of them before self destruction. I've had similar behavior when trying to stack a bunch of cubic octagonal struts together - sometimes it is stable, but other times it will vibrate itself to death.

@ Paul Kingtiger - It looks like there is no mass at the top of the stack - maybe that's why you were able to get so many? I had at least an adapter, probe, and a few other things on top. I can't test it right now to see if just stacking the bays would make a difference.

As for my machine, I'm running on an i5-2500k @ 3.8 GHz, 8 gig ram, GTX 570.

Just a thought - I know there are parts out there where you can adjust their size using tweakables (increase/decrease diameters, increase/decrease nodes, etc). Would it be possible to apply this to the cores? You could choose how many bays you want vertically and the part would adjust the height and number of nodes. Then it would be treated as a single part instead a stack of parts. (Disclaimer - I know nothing about how difficult/possible that is to implement so ignore me if it's a bad idea)

Anyways, it's a very cool mod and if I can only use a couple stacked at a time I'll take it. Although I did have a pretty cool satellite planned where all the bays were going to open and all the antennas and solar panels would deploy :)

I am reconfiguring the fuel cell and electrolysis parts to work with TAC life support for myself and in the process I found that the fuel cell is lossy.

I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the fuel cell is only producing 99.36% of the water it should be according to the chemistry. It should be producing 0.0000524178 L/s and it's only producing 0.0000520833 L/s.

It's possible a rounding error has creeped in somewhere, I'll recheck everything.

This is 40 tiers of science bays with a large tank on the top. Frame rate is in the toilet, but no flex or Kraken.

I would imagine most craft use 6 tiers max. Hmm, I should probably make a user survey so we can see how it's used.

In the mean time, if anyone would like to post screen shots of the mod in use, we'd love to see them.

By chance do you have monopropellant tanks in US wedge format? I'm also looking forward to the TAC-LS wedges.

In the mean time, if anyone would like to post screen shots of the mod in use, we'd love to see them.

This is a look at my .24 career mode's Kapollo 3 mission. Kapollo 3's objectives are to investigate the Minmus Anomaly discovered by SCANSat 2.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Angel-125

Yes, download the latest core pack and you'll see a liquid fuel/oxidizer wedge as well as a monoprop wedge.

Thanks for the album, looks great!

Oh great, thanks! :) I just downloaded the latest. Also, how did you get image thumbnails on the bottom of your album on the first page?

Have I said how much I love this mod, it makes science payloads easier to manage with keeping the ship clean looking. Combine this with D-orbital science and it is even better. Once TAC is added it will add just that much more to sleeker rockets, and I am not rushing for it to be out.

I really like this mod because it enables things like this:

6c2c948a4f.jpg

However.. ever since I installed this Mod (with the packages appropriate to TAC & KAS), an odd thing keeps happening to any craft which utilize the bays. Basically, the focal point of the craft drifts further and further away until I can no longer orbit the craft in any way.

The craft off to the right of this image is meant to be the focus, but it is so far away from the camera now that I will never have any hope of getting near it again without some nifty rotation and zooming out (at which point I see only the bottom of the craft anyway)

cc271bda40.jpg

if I sit and watch the craft in space, every minute or so, the camera is shunted, and you can literally watch the ship translate about 20 feet further away and then come to rest, followed by the same again around a minute later until it has practically disappeared. || alternative suggestion, on game load the camera ceases to follow said craft for some reason?

This makes the practicality and longevity of crafts using this mod incredibly limited. Also, the incredibly minute size of the bays also limits their usefulness for any actual storage purposes (I only managed the armatures for the KAS winch and Karbonite Drills because I ruthlessly TweakScaled them down to 32.25cm size, which is insanely small for a craft which is supposed to be an industrial miner. Sure I could have made bays out of enlarged legacy Infernal Robotics book hinges, but I like your bays more; they look much nicer.

For the record, the entire bay is rotatable 360 degrees via rotatrons above and below and is supported down the sides using those supports you can see with the solar panels on. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I had funny behaviour from the first example of this craft that I launched (the space kraken kerploded that one)

Besides that, I think this mod is looking great. One other minor gripe however is that in terms of TAC-LS, the amount of oxygen for example in one of those radial tanks is insane. I installed something like four of them on this miner because they are small and cheap, only to discover that it enabled breathable air for over 5000 days!

Forgive me for saying, but if a lifetime that long can be achieved for so little effort, doesn't it make the whole consideration of life-support a little negligible?

EDIT: After looking back through some of the posts here, it seems this issue *could* be related to the PhysicsKraken Daishi mentioned. Basically, On my first attempt to launch the rotating utility bay design, when rotating the bay, the entire ship would react. Not in the way of rotating in the opposite direction to the bay (as one might expect if all holds true), but as though the centre of rotation was at some point off to the side of the bay in space. The entire ship would then move around this arbitrary point when the bay was rotated as though it were the ball on a giant swingball set. The issue with the camera drift and the PhysicsKraken could be related to phantom impulse? I cannot suggest any more than that. For the record, and again it could be related, if you have a bay open and then reload the ship, the bay is closed on load but registers as open.

Edit2: The Kraken kerploded it and the command pod was launched out of the kerbol system. Good news is that the command pod returned to being the camera focus point. Hurrah!

Edited by Stephanie the Viking

Just discovered your mod and it looks amazing, downloading it now to check it out!!! This is going to clean up the look and increase th functionality of my ships so much!! :sticktongue:

Very excited to see that you are working on some TACLS parts for this, really can't wait for that, going to be checking this thread daily to see if they have been added lol

This exact thing was happening with RealChutes previously so Stupid_Chris might have some insight into the problem

I'm so glad somebody else had an issue like this with something. I looked for some time before posting to try and find another example of this camera-shifting glitch so that I could make some form of suggestion and came up empty handed. I am tempted to mention it to sirkut to see if it's an Infernal Robotcs problem that I simply haven't come across before (the rotating central bay has got to be unique right, if only because it's so absurd and essentially pointless?) I only did it to see if it could be done, and it's conceivable that it's something that KSP simply doesn't like for some reason; maybe because it is directly rotating the centre of the craft but not the initial parent object and gets confused?

Unfortunately I think I annoyed him the other day by suggesting he might have overlooked something (turned out it was me meddling with TweakScale that broke something in his mod) and while he wasn't openly annoyed, I got the distinct impression he was.

That being said, the bug only manifested after installation of US, so logic dictates that I point out what I have found to you regardless.

Thanks Stephanie, that's some great feedback. I'll take a look and see if I can replicate what's going on.

If you would like, I can make a simplified version of the craft available to you, by stripping out non-connected modified parts? It would mean that you needed the Legacy IR parts though to have the rotating effect, and TweakScale.

Edited by Stephanie the Viking

I'm so glad somebody else had an issue like this with something. I looked for some time before posting to try and find another example of this camera-shifting glitch so that I could make some form of suggestion and came up empty handed. I am tempted to mention it to sirkut to see if it's an Infernal Robotcs problem that I simply haven't come across before (the rotating central bay has got to be unique right, if only because it's so absurd and essentially pointless?) I only did it to see if it could be done, and it's conceivable that it's something that KSP simply doesn't like for some reason; maybe because it is directly rotating the centre of the craft but not the initial parent object and gets confused?

Unfortunately I think I annoyed him the other day by suggesting he might have overlooked something (turned out it was me meddling with TweakScale that broke something in his mod) and while he wasn't openly annoyed, I got the distinct impression he was.

That being said, the bug only manifested after installation of US, so logic dictates that I point out what I have found to you regardless.

If you would like, I can make a simplified version of the craft available to you, by stripping out non-connected modified parts? It would mean that you needed the Legacy IR parts though to have the rotating effect, and TweakScale.

If you're comfortable with editing .cfg files, remove the PhysicsSignificance = 1 line altogether on the Quadcore part, and reload the game and see if the weird behaviour persists. The cores will probably compress and wobble under strong acceleration, but they'll at least conform to the physics engine and hopefully not cause issues with parts further down their attachment tree.

I've noticed that most objects that have this value set to 1 aren't structural parts with multiple nodes like ours, so maybe that's the cause of this COM shifting? (its not really a camera glitch, its technically working as intended. All its doing is centering its view on a ships center of mass, and something is changing that value).

Just discovered your mod and it looks amazing, downloading it now to check it out!!! This is going to clean up the look and increase th functionality of my ships so much!! :sticktongue:

Very excited to see that you are working on some TACLS parts for this, really can't wait for that, going to be checking this thread daily to see if they have been added lol

You've discovered us at just the right time :) The TAC pack is almost done.

Have I said how much I love this mod, it makes science payloads easier to manage with keeping the ship clean looking. Combine this with D-orbital science and it is even better. Once TAC is added it will add just that much more to sleeker rockets, and I am not rushing for it to be out.

Thanks Liowen! My workflow has been all over the place trying to keep things consistent across the new parts (with planned revisions to the old), so TAC has taken longer than i thought it would (alongside PC probs and wisdom teeth, gah). Its on the home stretch now.

Edited by Daishi

@Stephanie the Viking Having the same issue as you are without infernal robotics installed. I'm getting the problem with SDHI's docking node / chute combo and spaceplane+'s hideable docking node. Can't check the physics significance thing right now as I'm not at home; but will check when I get home in about 45 minutes

remove the PhysicsSignificance = 1 line altogether on the Quadcore part, and reload the game and see if the weird behaviour persists. The cores will probably compress and wobble under strong acceleration, but they'll at least conform to the physics engine and hopefully not cause issues with parts further down their attachment tree.

I was actually in the process of trying a similar design using the octo-core version to see if the same thing happened, so I shall try this as well with the exact same ship and see if it happens again. Glad to be of service in ironing out wrinkles :)

Speaking of attachment nodes, I occasionally get a glitch when adding or removing bays from the quad core part in which nodes disappear and only reappear by scrapping the core and grabbing a new one.

I was actually in the process of trying a similar design using the octo-core version to see if the same thing happened, so I shall try this as well with the exact same ship and see if it happens again. Glad to be of service in ironing out wrinkles :)

Speaking of attachment nodes, I occasionally get a glitch when adding or removing bays from the quad core part in which nodes disappear and only reappear by scrapping the core and grabbing a new one.

No worries - you're all pretty much beta testers until we reach 1.0 :P

That node disappearing bug happens without US unfortunately - I noticed it with the stock station core hub thing and that Rockomax Micronode before work on this mod was even started. I can't find a bugtracker entry about it but there are a ton of other cases in different threads. 1 2 3 etc.

You can get around it by saving the vessel and reloading it if you'd rather not take your ship apart to delete the offending core, and avoid alt-clicking to copy parts as that seems to cause it too :)

Just thought I'd take the time to say thanks to Paul and Daishi. The combination of US and Dmagic Orbital Science is fantastic, and along with TAC Life support is revolutionising my capsule design.

Just one piece of operational feedback. If I go from the VAB to the launch pad with any of the US Bay doors or hatches open, they appear shut on the launchpad, put right-clicking on them reveals that the game thinks they are still open, so I get the opportunity to shut them.

Last night's effort using US, Dmagic, KW Rocketry and TAC.... :)

screenshot1_zps87a36f6d.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.