Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Cool Daishi, you use ZBrush. I use it in the past, is a marvellous tool!

Today for the same purpose i use MudBox, on the same Box of Maya.

If i share to much, you can say and i remove the pic.

;)

A frame of an ongoing job:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3908/14926170740_db7912f5fe_o.pngScreen Shot 2014-09-01 at 22.38.56 by Climberfx, on Flickr

Wow that looks neat, some kind of agricultural promotion?

I did use Zbrush almost exclusively at the start of US, but as i started reusing sections of mesh to save on UV space, it was a lot easier to shift into Photoshop for the maps (and scratch\dirt overlays). It's just a lot more flexible with layers. Zbrush is great, but its strengths really lie in organic creatures and sculpting normalmaps :) Never really tried mudbox, its kind of like a toned down Zbrush, right?

Yep, is a governamental controlling agency for the agriculture in Brasil. Called Embrapa.

Is a long term job, i'm on it since march.

I like the power of Brush, but it is a really complex program.

Mudbox is much simpler.

But you are right. Photoshop and the Adobes do a better job.

some times even illustrator solve some too.

My main stream is with After Effects, where i finish this animation. And do other stuff.

You have a great still with textures and models!

Keep on!

Really? Paul mentioned something about requiring a small charge to get the converters going... might have been an old build.

And i've officially missed my self-imposed deadline for getting the TAC pack ready by the end of August. Assets are all done though, i've just got to start combining maps, swapping out the older structures and getting the science bay fitted with a FAR-compatible collision mesh. Shouldn't be much longer :) Pics for the guys who don't follow the dev thread...

http://i.imgur.com/gkcfnyo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/thqmNr6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/e2yIwM4.jpg

Specular maps don't show up in the maya viewport (modelling window), and a few of them won't have them until a later release, but i'd say things are 90% resolved (except the hatch seams, they need a bit of work still).

Sweet J.... those look awesome..

Pity you missed your own deadline, but alas allready glad and very happy that this is in the making..

When its finnally there, i prolly WIL feel like a little kid again that just gotten a new present :D

Heya,

Is anyone else having trouble with the UnStor hubs just...falling apart on re-entry? And not even fast re-entry mind. Like, splashing down at 5m/s or opening parachutes? Things just sort of disconnect. Or perhaps i'm just doing it wrong haha.

Just because i believe in pics or it didnt happen:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309288154

This is the design that breaks. I've tried it with and without the clamps, same result. I'm hoping that i'm just being really stupid and missing something.

Thanks!

Heya,

Is anyone else having trouble with the UnStor hubs just...falling apart on re-entry? And not even fast re-entry mind. Like, splashing down at 5m/s or opening parachutes? Things just sort of disconnect. Or perhaps i'm just doing it wrong haha.

Just because i believe in pics or it didnt happen:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309288154

This is the design that breaks. I've tried it with and without the clamps, same result. I'm hoping that i'm just being really stupid and missing something.

Thanks!

I have not. In fact I tend to find the Universal storage stuff to be very strong. Have made quite a few reentries (some at insane speeds) and these survive just fine.

So I'm not sure what your issue could be.

I had a crazy idea last but thought I best sleep on it to see if it was still something worth posting, and I think it is. I started building a new craft last night and put some radial chutes under the US containers I had and I thought it would be interesting to have a wedge that was like a radial chute. I never really liked the look of radial chutes if I am honest, as they stick out a bit too far in some cases. I dunno how possible it would be to do this, or if it is even possible, but I think it would be interesting concept to have since there are only 4 chutes in stock, and only one of those is a radial version.

Dunno, no idea how to set those up in Unity. And being adhered to such a small node, i can just picture it deploying and ripping off the craft :|

I have not. In fact I tend to find the Universal storage stuff to be very strong. Have made quite a few reentries (some at insane speeds) and these survive just fine.

So I'm not sure what your issue could be.

They connections can get weaker the more parts you have (something to do with KSP physics losing precision the more its under strain).. but that's hardly a complicated craft. Weird. Got logs?

Sent all the TAC files to Paul, he'll be going through the .cfg files and keying in the proper capacities and things in the next few days. The pack is a little rough around the edges, but we'll have a few large updates after this where everything is going to get polished. Time to do a fancy render, and then onto making Dangit pieces :)

Here's a rough changelog from my end...

Universal Storage 0.8 changes...

* Reduced drawcalls at least by half across all parts

* New exterior structure of the wedges, cleaner and more along the lines of SP+ (seeing that is now the new definition of "stockalike"). They all fit together perfectly and have new warning stripes closer to stock engines.

* Wedges now have consistent labelling, giving nosey Kerbals the NFPA 704 rating of the contained material, as well as important warning stickers, requirements for generators, and correct molecular structure for each resource.

* TAC pack! New water wedge that actually holds a sensible amount, a water purifier, and seamlessly-stackable food, waste, and greywater tanks. Consider these still a WIP, i'm not totally happy with them.

* IFI Lifesupport pack, a re-purposed food bag with custom labels.

* HD textures (1024px maps), optional. This will roughly bring a total Universal Storage install's memory footprint from 70mb to 200mb. Looks crisp though.

* Tweaks to the octo and quadcore, to reduce seam flickering when stacked.

* Groundwork for future firespitter texture and mesh swapping on the corrugation and hatches.

Backpeddling...

* Removed specular maps on certain parts until i can work on all of them together, to keep things consistent.

* FAR science bay support, making this compatible means renaming, and that will break saves and cause havoc.

The future... (probably save breaking)

* Dangit pack, for spare part storage

* Combination reaction-wheel and decoupler, with recession for heatsheilds and tweakable fairings to cover the cavity.

* Circular octocore combination shroud and adaptor, with tweakable size up to stacks 4 cores high

* Scrap the old decouplers

* Simple quadcore adaptor

* Revisions on older parts, such as the oxygen tanks, fuel cell, and retextures of the elektron and sabatier.

* Well considered specular maps on everything.

* Another art pass that unifies the visual style of the pack as a whole

* Full set of radial tanks

* FAR science bay support.

Sticking stock radial batteries in the science wedge is the battery wedge AFAIK. Shouldn't be difficult to copy a wedge and change the resource stored in it for a roll-your-own battery. The license does permit this for your own use, you just can't redistribute. I've been meaning to do this myself but never got around to it. I'll let you know if I run into any problems. And yeah, the stock batteries aren't the prettiest things around. Especially here. :D

Awesome parts, just one request, think you can add a battery unit? Or am I overlooking that one? :s the stock radial batteries are just ugly, right now I hide them in a science bay :D

We have a special wedge planned for custom parts, if you're not keen on stashing things in the science bay. Still in development so I can't really say much else :)

We're looking good for a release in the next few hours. While you wait you can help with with some feedback.

TAC LS has kerbals consume resources at 25% of humans, which makes some sense because they are about 1/4 the size.

However because US parts are balanced based on real world engineering and the wedges are quite large compared to Kerbals the mission time with a single set of wedges is up in the hundreds of days.

I change the TAC config to use human consumption rates because that's how I roll, which brings things down to a more fun level.

So my question is, would you prefer an optional config file to change TAC to use Human resource consumption rates, or a optional file to reduce US capacities to 25% of current to make more Kerbal friendly amounts. Or some other option?

Human rates seems fine with me, but if people want to use other independent TACLS parts or modules they're probably going to imbalance or conflict, so at least having a config available to compatible-ize US with other TACLS systems would be a good idea.

I think the capacity would be best; changing the TAC profile would force you to use US wedges every time, it seems, and might murder hundreds of Kerbals on ongoing interplanetary flights.

I agree it should be an option. It could affect alot of peoples saved games because now their kerbals are consuming faster than anticpated.

I'd change to match TAC. TAC allows consumption rates to be adjusted anyways, So match the TAC parts and then adjust consumption rates up if you want. And having wedge capacity too large means it doesn't really make sense to use them for anything but Huge crews on long trips. Scaling stuff to real-life has worked out very well for the rest of the mod but here you want to scale to Kerbals. Human-sized metabolisms don't really make sense for green guys who can fit into a 1.25 m dia. capsule, and realistic food storage space results in unreasonably large amounts of storage in a single wedge from a gameplay perspective. For fuels the scaling is both realistic and reasonably matched to the rest of the ingame parts. I think in this particular case, Real life is interfering with fun.

We're looking good for a release in the next few hours. While you wait you can help with with some feedback.

TAC LS has kerbals consume resources at 25% of humans, which makes some sense because they are about 1/4 the size.

However because US parts are balanced based on real world engineering and the wedges are quite large compared to Kerbals the mission time with a single set of wedges is up in the hundreds of days.

I change the TAC config to use human consumption rates because that's how I roll, which brings things down to a more fun level.

So my question is, would you prefer an optional config file to change TAC to use Human resource consumption rates, or a optional file to reduce US capacities to 25% of current to make more Kerbal friendly amounts. Or some other option?

Paul.

I prefer the 25% is the default and the more realistic one be the optional.

I follow the simple rule that the original game is for fun, and is easier to play.

And users put stuff to turn it into more realistic.

I know your mod is already for these type of user already. And in question, TAC LS too.

But would be a more easy way for the ones not pro, and the difficult one (edit some times is hard for some new guys, edit i mean, have to change the files and not use the default structure).

And the ones that need this extra defiance, do the change (normal the ones that do that easily).

But is only my opinion.

OOZ662 have a good point too. To be compatible with TAC LS sizes/consumption.

Chris_Pi too have a good point. If the settings could be merged into the Tac LS setup, then, when you change the Settings there, your tanks would follow it. I know it not changes the sizes, but the consumption. In that way, the match is essential.

All ways to me are fine. The thing that we will have an options is another point that make your mod one of the best's around here.

Edited by Climberfx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.