why we play KSP

Dimetime35c

okay wondering why everyone here plays KSP? i play it cause it can be so challenging to try and build the rockets and sstos. also cause there isnt a clear goal that like makes the game end. like you dont beat something then win. what about you?

#1 reason: I am a space nerd, so yes I have orbiter, and I have tried a number of more traditional style space games, but between the 'wobblyness' 'kitch' and general organization, KSP has had me since I first tried it in version .21 (ok the demo .18 for 45 minutes then off to put the 'real thing' on my computer).

Since 0.22 came out I have played career mode without mods. This isn't a religious thing, I played .21 with MechJeb and tried a couple of other mods, but for career mode I just found I wanted to do it because, for me, it made sense. I have played other games that I added little personal rules into just to enhance the play/realism/style for myself. In .23 I decided I also wanted to do my career mode against the game clock (I was only on day 12 in the game when .23.5 came out and had more than 8,000 of the requisite 10,738 science points). I also wanted to make a Kerballed return trip to the surface of every celestial body except Jool and Kerbol by as early a date as possible. Since I was able to, I decided to keep my Space Race save going in .23.5 - so far I am still on Day 12 but have launched two vehicles towards the biggest asteroid that showed up using new parts and with enough fuel to, I hope affect the bodies orbit in time for it's first pass by Kerbin to do an atmospheric breaking to an eliptical orbit then, over a long series of shallow dips into the atmosphere, put it into a nearly circular LKO. If I don't have the d-V for that I will put work on acheiving that on a subsequent orbit. By then of course I might have captured a smaller one, and certainly will have sent lots of ships out. If I have maxed out science by the time .24 comes out, or if .24 doesn't support keeping the same save going, I will start over the career mode. I probably have enough science to max out my career mode now, it is flying in from Minmus, but it is a couple of days away still. I have my Eve armada to launch yet, and now, with the new parts, I want to send a new support ship with a lot of extra fuel to Moho to meet my expedition that the lead ship has been on its way since Day 5 of the Kerbal Calendar.

I see a lot of discussion about what is realistic and what isn't, and as long as the physics of spaceflight is real (even if planetary and solar densities are a little on the high side) I will not really complain. Sure I would like realism, ION engines that were realistic, but could stay under thrust when not in focus, would be great, but the current compromise is fine. I would love to see icy trojan asteroids of Jool. I would love to send them to LKO and make fuel out of them. Sure adding life support needs and real re-entry physics would be nice too. But even without all of those things, the game will last a very long time for me with what it has before I get bored.

Because ever since I was a wee lad I dreamed of making my own space program. KSP gives me that opportunity with a sufficiently accurate implementation of Physics (which satisfies the science-geek in me), a lack of nitty gritty grindy detail (by not trying to be TOO realistic), the flexibility to allow creativity (all those wonderful parts and places to explore), and an amount of playfulness that makes me smile. KSP is the perfect entertainment for me.

I agree with Brotoro; KSP is the type of game I couldn't have even imagined before I heard of it, yet it fits me so well. I absolutely loved playing with Lego as a child (and admittedly still do :P), and KSP gives you that satisfaction of building your own spaceships (or whatever else you may desire), yet allowing you to explore a concrete universe.

Plus it's also provided me inspiration to change my career path, so there's that.

Because I am kind of a Spacechild. It fascinated me ever since I was able to watch the stars moving above me.

KSP was the first game that introduced me to somewhat realistic Orbital mechanics in a very funny way and I love it since I downloaded it for 15€ or so.

IMO it is the best game ever! :)

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

When I first saw KSP in Steam, I was like meh. How the hell could you get any gratification out of building rockets that aren't made for killing invaders? No hit points, no shields, no (troop transports.

Then I saw a video about six months ago, and I was like yeah, that's got to be the most boring thing I've ever seen. Asteroids on Atari 2600 had more gameplay. CSPAN is more engaging.

Then back in November I was chatting with a buddy at Total War Center and he was talking the game up. So I downloaded the demo. By the time I got a rocket to LKO, I was totally hooked. So much depth, so mentally engaging. No objectives requiring anything more than the willpower to do it. I got more satisfaction out of my first (completely unaided) docking success than I ever got from hitting the level cap. Then I found Engineer Redux, and everything changed for the better. Then I figured out how to make Mechjeb do all the chores.

Now I have a game that I can play exactly how I want to play. If I want to see how close I can get to the Sun, I can spend 12-15 hours building the perfect ship for it, launch it, spend 3-4 hours playing that mission, and when it doesn't work out I can start over without any regrets.. It's almost literally the perfect game. Minimum frustration and maximum engagement.

I am into space stuff since i was able to pick up a book, no matter if it was real space exploration or science fiction. And i like creative activities (i work as a graphician, 3d artist and illustrator). I noticed KSP about 2 years ago and took a look from time to time until i bought it in November 2013. It totally got me on both major interests, so currently i cant think why or when i should put KSP down.

I'm from the early days, downloaded the demo in early 2012 and I was hooked

The sheer joy in building a wibbley wobbley spaceship that could either get into space, explode on the way into space or explode on the launch pad after crashing into the launch tower, bought the game in may 2012, and went on to build bigger and better rocket that can do so much more(and make better explosions on the pad when it has a structrual failure on launch)

And then theres all the updates.... flying to minimus, coming into land at Duna at too steep an angle..... yay parachutes open..... yay parachutes torn off guess these 3 brave kerbals get a memorial marker only ...

Building your first space station when the docking ports came in.... figuring out.. hey I can build HUGE interplanetary ships in orbit now with wibbley weak docking ports... and then.. rovers .... finding the Mohole, driving into the Mohole, adding 3 more markers to the memorial gardens.

And now we have SLS parts..... and I've not actually used them on the ARM , but for launching even bigger ships*

Boris

*and to show some things never change... even bigger explosions when the ship has structural failure at 25Km up :D

I play for the smiles on my little kerbal's faces as they streak across the KSC flats in a poorly designed rocket-car at nearly 300m/s.....

.....followed by the smile on my face when I accidentally run them into the flagpole.

------

More seriously, there's a good mix between serious fun and "let's take three of the biggest engines in the game and make a rocket car WOOOOOOOO" potential. Even back when I started in the days of 0.13 you could alternate between 'serious' and 'silly', sometimes completely by accident. I can build a 7-part spacecraft in orbit and send it to Duna (getting it back is another issue, since I'm not the best at planning missions so I don't end up wasting fuel dodging Ike at the last second), send a probe out to Jool, or spend an hour carefully tweaking an aircraft to handle perfectly.........or I can relax and mess around a little making the little guys scream.

Edited by Fendleton

Well, I kind of inherited a fascination for space. My dad used to take me out to look at the stars through a Dobsonian he made. So, space has always been a thing for me, I almost took it for granted. Then I found KSP. Space became a major interest for me. Now I'm hoping to take that interest and make a career out of it. So, nowadays I play KSP to test ideas, and to keep fresh in my mind why I love space (and also so I can feel like a nerd/badass).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.