Tonight, I begin my first serious project on the new machine!

Whackjob

Ok! Operation de-office complete for the night. Now... to begin. Where to begin?

First thing I think I need to work on is some new feet. I'm going to be putting down a respectably stupid amount of mass, and I want it to stay whole. Which means my old custom legs simply will not do. Time to scale them up from large, skip past huge and titanic, and hover around biggus whackus. Pictures soon!

Here we go. Prototype one done and drop tested. The hardest part of all this is translating massive forces from point A to point B without shedding parts.

Comparison time: Old feet.

PoDeSfc.png

And here... is a foot. One foot. Remember, there will be seven core columns. This will NOT lie at the bottom of each column, since that's where I want the engines to be. Rather, they will be outside and each outside column will have two feet. I may put a foot below the central column for just in case.

v5e4yX9.png

The fuel tanks in the feet are purely structural and contain no actual fuel. The two tanks above the center ankle part here are full for purposes of slamming down with weight.

looks pretty small....

That's not even part of the rocket. Mind you. See the comparison pictures, the top one? The little girder feet? The bottom picture is the replacement for one of those feet.

Here we go. Prototype one done and drop tested. The hardest part of all this is translating massive forces from point A to point B without shedding parts.

Comparison time: Old feet.

And here... is a foot. One foot. Remember, there will be seven core columns. This will NOT lie at the bottom of each column, since that's where I want the engines to be. Rather, they will be outside and each outside column will have two feet. I may put a foot below the central column for just in case.

The fuel tanks in the feet are purely structural and contain no actual fuel. The two tanks above the center ankle part here are full for purposes of slamming down with weight.

That thing is the size of my average Duna mission, and your saying that's

one.

foot.

*dies*

Neat! Will look forward to seeing this monstrosity come together. :)

I tried putting together my own modular Minmus tower in 0.23, but the part count got high very quickly (too many unnecessary small parts and unused docking ports) so it didn't get as tall as I would have liked before the frame rate became too low for my tastes.

screenshot1343.jpg

screenshot1349.jpg

screenshot1391.jpg

screenshot1278.jpg

Edited by Kerano

Well, good grief. This design will require a serious... hrm... reassessment. Let's just say I completed the engine and lander gear part of the first piece of the build. Part count? 3,000. LOL!

Why, yes, I did press spacebar.

First thought after my first large launch on the new machine... got a LOT more FPS than I was expecting! Nice. Also, I'll have to redo everything, because it's a serious failure.

You know, I expected the first thing you'd have done w/ KSP again would be to land a an extremely large class E asteroid at KSC, but this is cool to.

Maybe once it's landed he could fling a few asteroids at the tower? You know, like bowling. :D

Maybe once it's landed he could fling a few asteroids at the tower? You know, like bowling. :D

Or use asteroids as feet. That should reduce the part count some...

And I used to think my stuff (which is way smaller than this foot) was a bit too big. Dear kraken... :0.0:

That is how Whackjob handles the Kraken. He scares it away....

UncleBod

Suborbital engineer

Edited by UncleBod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.