Tonight, I begin my first serious project on the new machine!

Whackjob

THat is hpw Whackjob handles the Kraken. He scares it away....

UncleBod

Suborbital engineer

Now there's a thought. If the actual Kraken easter egg is a separate 'craft' and not just a bit of scenery.... Well then, with sufficient Claws and sufficient boosters - and a crazy enough engineer - it should be possible to haul the actual Kraken back to KSC as Jeb's Trophy Fish.

Yes, two or more claws can attach simultaneously, just as two or more docking ports can dock at once, but you do need to take care that they all attach at the same time :)

I did some testing with multiple claws on an asteroid, and the answer might be a bit more complex.

=> What I did not test, because asteroids are not flat so it's are to test it, is to attach the claws simultaneously. So your answer might still be valid.

=> What I did test is to attach the first claw on the surface, and use the 'free pivot' state to attach the others (two more in my test).

The result is :

- One claw is attached and do no move (stays put as expected)

- The other claws are "attached" but do not stay put under stress. They move into and out of the asteroid. It seems that only the first one is really attached, the other ones are just pretending to be (tricky *******s).

I'll try to do the a test to confirm that at least it works if attachment is simultaneous.

And good luck with your monster.

May I suggest class A asteroids as wheel for your rover part ? (Because the tower will have wheels, right ?)

Now there's a thought. If the actual Kraken easter egg is a separate 'craft' and not just a bit of scenery.... Well then, with sufficient Claws and sufficient boosters - and a crazy enough engineer - it should be possible to haul the actual Kraken back to KSC as Jeb's Trophy Fish.

That would be awesome! Too bad I've never been to Jool :(

Well, good grief. This design will require a serious... hrm... reassessment. Let's just say I completed the engine and lander gear part of the first piece of the build. Part count? 3,000. LOL!

Why, yes, I did press spacebar.

First thought after my first large launch on the new machine... got a LOT more FPS than I was expecting! Nice. Also, I'll have to redo everything, because it's a serious failure.

A lot more FPS here meaing 5 instead of 2?

That is over twice as high

OMG, they totally need to make that possible

I'm astonished that thing held together for so long. I'm starting to think Squad overdid it just a little with the strengthening - and underdid it with stiffening.

Anyway, looks like you just need more boosters round the outside. To distribute the thrust, of course.

How do you bare the framerate?! I start shrinking them as soon I go below 60

I just built a new computer this past week too, because of framerates. I find the game tolerable at 15+, but when I was getting launch speeds of 6 or 8 FPS, I had enough.

From a guy who used to game on a laptop for quite awhile (I have a strong gaming PC now) I can't really see the difference between 60 and 40.

Guess it's just what you are used to

I don't recall if the Whack uses it, but MechJeb can make launching massive things tolerable. It's not fussed by the slowdown, so just wait for it to do its thing. Once in orbit you'll typically have dropped many of your parts, and once far enough from Kerbin performance can improve further.

I don't recall if the Whack uses it, but MechJeb can make launching massive things tolerable. It's not fussed by the slowdown, so just wait for it to do its thing. Once in orbit you'll typically have dropped many of your parts, and once far enough from Kerbin performance can improve further.

Nope, never used Mechjeb even once.

10 years in the military has beaten considerable patience into me. Also stubbornness and stupidity in equal measure.

I did some testing with multiple claws on an asteroid, and the answer might be a bit more complex.

=> What I did not test, because asteroids are not flat so it's are to test it, is to attach the claws simultaneously. So your answer might still be valid.

=> What I did test is to attach the first claw on the surface, and use the 'free pivot' state to attach the others (two more in my test).

The result is :

- One claw is attached and do no move (stays put as expected)

- The other claws are "attached" but do not stay put under stress. They move into and out of the asteroid. It seems that only the first one is really attached, the other ones are just pretending to be (tricky *******s).

I'll try to do the a test to confirm that at least it works if attachment is simultaneous.

And good luck with your monster.

May I suggest class A asteroids as wheel for your rover part ? (Because the tower will have wheels, right ?)

I did test the three claws clawing at the same time. And it did work.

A4F9E75561F694C11B3D217D692DFFE13ABE1949

So no issue on this part, you have no excuse for failure now ! :cool:

I don't recall if the Whack uses it, but MechJeb can make launching massive things tolerable.

Dear god, I hope he never does. Part of the magic here is that all his launches are his own, all his failures are his own, all the gathered data is his own, and all his successes are purely his own. MechJeb would make Whackjob "wack".

Below 60? Yeah I don't think you can even see that. In fact experts say typical human eyes can't see movements faster than 1/30 of a second, so you'd only be able to notice the difference between 30 and 60 if something whizzed past the screen really fast and left a double image.

I myself hardly notice until the framerate goes under about 12.

Would the new arm clarws work as landing gear? Giant landing gears. :D

PS, with screen tearing you can see changes much higher than 30 or 60 fps. 30-60 for individual frames you may not see. For actual optical or visual blurring and shuddering or screen tearing though, the rates would be much higher.

Below 60? Yeah I don't think you can even see that. In fact experts say typical human eyes can't see movements faster than 1/30 of a second, so you'd only be able to notice the difference between 30 and 60 if something whizzed past the screen really fast and left a double image.

I myself hardly notice until the framerate goes under about 12.

Completely false

30 vs 60 is a huge difference. 60 vs 120 is still noticeable.

In a moving scene, especially one controlled by your own mouse or head movements, it's only above ~90 fps where you can't tell much difference anymore. The Oculus Rift (VR headset) is targeting 90Hz for their consumer version because the current 60Hz and the newer 75Hz models still aren't good enough.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.