World of Tanks (WoT)

jmiki8

Hi!

World of Tanks is a pretty popular MMO game nowadays, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of guys here who play it.

I really like the game, I usually play it when I lack the inspiration in KSP. :D

I've been playing it since the beta, but I still don't own tier X tanks. I just took up the game again after an ~1,5-year break (thanks to the rage following the release of the repainted/licensed soviet chinese tanks), and noted that it's still awesome.

I used to have a large "fleet" of tanks, but I sold most of them as a result of my impatience to get the IS-3. Now I have a Hummel, an IS-3, and a T-34, as a money tank. However, my best researched/used tanks include the Panther, T-34/85, SU-100, Hellcat, AMX 13 75 and the Jagdpanzer IV, and various tier 5s aswell.

One with sufficient amount of gold could make a [KSP] clan... :D

So do you play WoT? Do you have a favourite tank/tech-tree/anything? Would you tell about your in-game progress? Post it here!

Edited by jmiki8

Heh. I was a beta tester for that game. Still play it on occasion. Favorite current tank? Hetzer. 121% crew, camo, binocs, crew fans. Large bore derp gun.

I like large bore and HE. It's... more interesting. It's like the gambler's gun. You either don't penetrate and get a tiny smidgeon of damage, or bust a track, or you hollow out that thing and kill half the crew.

And it's great fun to build for stealth and make use of it. Some of my highest paying matches required no shooting on my part at all.

I played the beta, but I lost my account info during a 1-2 year break from playing, so I started a new account about a year ago. My favorite tank is any of the ones from the original German TD line except the JgPzIV and the Marder II. I also like just about every medium tier scout tank, and I've had some great games in the T69.

For relaxing and money, I used to play the T18, but I've been starting to get bored of getting Top Gun every other game with it, so I've started playing various mid-tier tanks for money.

Edit: Also, the T2 Light (premium, but I got it with free from events or codes) is really fun from time to time.

Edited by TheDarkStar

Good god, man! Marauder II is devastating. The penetration rating it has is way outta scale with anything else at that tier! Whatever you hit with that, you're going to hurt. I doubt you'd have trouble penning higher tier heavies in the face with it.

Been playing this game for a couple years now, and I've noticed something about it: People who call the game awesome are either in the low tiers and still have that bright-eyed idealism and sense of fun that has yet to be crushed by days upon days of grinding for a single vehicle, or super-hardcore guys who live for Clan Wars and rate every vehicle by its perceived usefulness in competitions and tournaments. Me personally? I have a Maus, three tier 9s, a few tier 8s, and far far too many other tanks. I played the game because I'm a "collector" who enjoys getting all the little WW2 shinies he's read about and taking them out for a spin.

I love playing the rolling bunker in my Maus, getting that epic run supporting the team in my Leopard Prototype A, machine-gunning a team to shreds with the JagdTiger 8.8cm in an epic "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" moment, or just rolling around in a Sherman. The problem is that, once I got to the high tiers, the game turned from variety to beating my head against the wall in the same matches, with the same varieties of idiot, with the same tanks killing me over and over and over again.

Yep, I'm burned out. I took a long hiatus a while back before getting into the game again, but I don't see myself coming back after this. Maybe if I really just need to kill something, or I want to test out a new low-tier vehicle or something, or I get a sudden urge to team up with my clanmates and do a TOG troll platoon, but that's it.

Edited by TerLoki

If you don't like grinding, just don't grind. Some of the lower tier tanks are awesome (e.g. BT-2, Pz-1c, Cruiser Mk3, T18) and the gameplay at that level is fast and fun.

I have several tanks at lower tiers that I've left there. They've got good crews and are fun to play. I've also got tanks at mid tiers that I won't be upgrading, and only two that I'm interested in getting up to the really top tiers. Leaving some tanks at lower points on the tech tree gives you more options for trying out different branches without having to start from scratch.

Been playing this game for a couple years now, and I've noticed something about it: People who call the game awesome are either in the low tiers and still have that bright-eyed idealism and sense of fun that has yet to be crushed by days upon days of grinding for a single vehicle, or super-hardcore guys who live for Clan Wars and rate every vehicle by its perceived usefulness in competitions and tournaments.

I'd contest that point. There's also a third group of people who like WoT: those that have realized that the game is built in a way that makes every tier exactly as viable as the next. There is, simply put, nothing to "win" by getting to tier 10. I think a lot of people subconsciously expect a sensation or event akin to "winning" when they get there, because that's how video games usually work and we gamers are conditioned to expect it. But WoT doesn't give you that, and that turns a lot of people sour. They say: "I spent all this time grinding, and for what? This is no different from any other tier, just with different vehicles!" And yes, that's the truth of the matter.

Playing just to get to tier 10 is doing it completely wrong. You should play to unlock vehicles that interest you, and make note of those you meet along the way that sync surprisingly well with you. Thus, the longer you play, the more vehicles you will have in your garage that you truly enjoy. The tiers of those vehicles are largely irrelevant.

Me personally, I had no particular goal in mind, I just played. And for some odd reason, I find that tier 7 really resonates well with me. Part of this is the German 8,8 cm KwK 43 L/71, as well as it's PaK variant. I don't know why, but no other gun in this game feels just so reliable to me. There are guns on this tier with more penetration, and guns with more burst damage, but this particular one just gives me a hard to describe feeling of security. I know I will have a shell available when I need it, and I know it will strike true. For this reason, I did really well with the two Tigers (yes, even the paperthin Henschel Tiger is one of my highest scoring tanks), and the Jagdpanther... oh lord, the Jagdpanther. So good. And though I at first struggled with the Panther and its tiny needlegun, eventually it clicked there too and I had great fun. But it's not only Germans. Tier 7 also has great things from the other nations, such as the American T20 and T29, or the soviet T-43. And I also found great tanks on the two neighboring tiers, such as the KV-1S and KV-4, or the Hellcat and Pershing.

I found that that is my personal sweetspot, where the vehicles I like are located. So when I play WoT, that's what I drive. I haven't unlocked tier 9 and 10, and I frankly don't feel like I have to.

Other people may find their sweetspot elsewhere. I have met at least one person with more than 1000 games who never drove anything but tier 1. Ever. And he was obviously having fun enough to play over 1000 rounds, so why should he be grinding higher tiers?

"I spent all this time grinding, and for what? This is no different from any other tier, just with different vehicles!" And yes, that's the truth of the matter.

Exactly. Probably about half the games I play are tier 2 and 3.

I agree! I play mostly in tier 5, those tanks make the most money and they are fun to play. As a non-premium user, this is my best way to "feed" my more advanced tanks. :)

Edited by jmiki8

Personally, I like tier 2 and tier 7-10. At tier 2, you're with a bunch of clueless people, but you can carry almost singlehandedly with most tanks at that level. At the higher tiers, there are almost no clueless people and you can play without something dumb happening (usually). At the medium tiers, it's too easy to lose before the game starts because half the guys on your team don't know how to play.

me, I played during beta which was great, then once it was released, I got a ram2 (which people hate ????) and made my personal record of 11kos and 2 assists in one match with it....

Basically it(the game) was ruined by the MM putting all the noobs and 1 or 2 good persons (typically me) every single match.. it also was too pay to progress (beyond tier 6)... it also used an hp system, didn't have its history accurate beyond the 1st paragraph in a wikipedia search (sexton was literally better in every way to the bishop and yet bishop gets 2 tiers higher ????, and how does a 1920 piece of trash beat sexton too ???).....

Really after the first year the only 2 fun things to do were tier1 and tier 5 when you actually got top rank in the match (which btw is extremely rare)...

I switched to warthunder.... and I got KSP once banned from warthunder (wasting too much time on semi-violent thingy(but it was counter effective as I play a ton more KSP then I ever did the former))

and that sums up a few years of personal gaming history

Over 3k battles, at tier 8 with the Tiger II and 30k experience from the E-75 as of today. My favorite tanks are the Panther, Tiger II, and KV-2. Gotta live doing 1000+ damage to tier 8's with the 152 on the KV-2, and a 110% crew on the thing is amazing. Platoon regularly with [PONYZ] clan mates ( we don't do clam wars, just a group of players who watch Friendship is Magic ) , in game username is Rainbowlicious.

Edited by General Rarity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.