[Plugin][WIP][0.23.5] Custom Asteroids 0.2.1

Starstrider42

Have you considered modifying the asteroids to treat them as fuel tanks for various resources? The obvious two would be Kethane and Ore. I spent some time dorking with the Kethane mining code and it wasn't straightforward to get the drills working against an asteroid (which is really just a big part) but then it occurred to me that they're docked parts and you could just add the resources directly. The spawn catcher seems like a great place to go add storage to the newly-spawned roids. Would need to lower their mass by a lot to account for the fuel weight of course.

Getting fancier, you could give a chance for different resources. Water, Lithium, Metal, Oxygen, the KSPI nuclear fuels, etc. Probably He3 too - while not particularly realistic, it's damn near impossible to actually get which makes many of the reactor modes useless. This adds gameplay - finding and harvest the resources.

Of course the fuels would be immediately available to pump around, but in the next iteration you could replace the fuel resources with RawOre, RawKethane, etc, and adding a drill-looking part that's actually just a KethaneConverter module to convert RawOre to Ore, etc.

Have you considered modifying the asteroids to treat them as fuel tanks for various resources? The obvious two would be Kethane and Ore. I spent some time dorking with the Kethane mining code and it wasn't straightforward to get the drills working against an asteroid (which is really just a big part) but then it occurred to me that they're docked parts and you could just add the resources directly. The spawn catcher seems like a great place to go add storage to the newly-spawned roids. Would need to lower their mass by a lot to account for the fuel weight of course.

Getting fancier, you could give a chance for different resources. Water, Lithium, Metal, Oxygen, the KSPI nuclear fuels, etc. Probably He3 too - while not particularly realistic, it's damn near impossible to actually get which makes many of the reactor modes useless. This adds gameplay - finding and harvest the resources.

Of course the fuels would be immediately available to pump around, but in the next iteration you could replace the fuel resources with RawOre, RawKethane, etc, and adding a drill-looking part that's actually just a KethaneConverter module to convert RawOre to Ore, etc.

I like this idea.

Actually, it looks like you can raycast and find out which part you intersected. A KethaneExtractor does this:

Physics.Raycast(tailTransform.position - direction.normalized * TailOffset,
direction,
out hitInfo,
direction.magnitude + HeadOffset + TailOffset,
mask);

Need to change the mask to something that includes vessel parts. Then if we look at the hitInfo we can see which part was hit:

GameObject hit = hitInfo.collider.gameObject;

Then just check to see if that part is PotatoRoid. That should let it detect that a drill is in contact with the roid.

But then we have to figure out how to get KethaneData to track the kethane on the object... hmm. Not too bad, especially with Starstrider42's code to adjust roids as they're spawned.

Maybe I'll move this to the Kethane thread.

Actually, it looks like you can raycast and find out which part you intersected. A KethaneExtractor does this:

Physics.Raycast(tailTransform.position - direction.normalized * TailOffset,
direction,
out hitInfo,
direction.magnitude + HeadOffset + TailOffset,
mask);

Need to change the mask to something that includes vessel parts. Then if we look at the hitInfo we can see which part was hit:

GameObject hit = hitInfo.collider.gameObject;

Then just check to see if that part is PotatoRoid. That should let it detect that a drill is in contact with the roid.

But then we have to figure out how to get KethaneData to track the kethane on the object... hmm. Not too bad, especially with Starstrider42's code to adjust roids as they're spawned.

Maybe I'll move this to the Kethane thread.

FYI, taniwha is already working on asteroid mining support, and AFAIK the new code will be bundled with kethane. So I won't be trying to add this on my end, though I've already requested that the asteroid mining code be flexible enough that I can edit asteroid resources in the Custom Asteroids framework.

Still negotiating on this, but I think it makes the most sense for these kinds of capabilities to be added by the mod that actually introduces the resource in question (I'm not even sure what mod uses Lithium as a resource). That way, I just have to publish a standard config format, leaving the details to the people who are most familiar with each resource.

Edited by Starstrider42

About those comets you keep mentioning, I haven't yet tested it out but are those planned to look a bit more "icy" than normal asteroids. How about comet's tails when they are getting near the sun, is this possible?

That's what I'm hoping for, but I don't know yet how far it's possible to take it. You might ask MrHappyFace and frizzank; they're working on comet-like comets for their own mod, and we've discussed combining our efforts.

But no, the "comets" at the moment are plain vanilla asteroids, just on eccentric orbits.

That's what I'm hoping for, but I don't know yet how far it's possible to take it. You might ask MrHappyFace and frizzank; they're working on comet-like comets for their own mod, and we've discussed combining our efforts.

But no, the "comets" at the moment are plain vanilla asteroids, just on eccentric orbits.

Okay that would have been to awesome :D What you made so far is amazing nonetheless have some +rep

CatastrophicFailure, regex: I've added whitespace and let asteroid orbits be defined in terms of existing celestial bodies. How does it look?

https://github.com/Starstrider42/Custom-Asteroids/blob/64243d88fdf6ac9f48be536dd63333ac70908a78/config/Basic%20Asteroids.cfg

Edited by Starstrider42
Updated link to hopefully final version

• 2 weeks later...

I've found, and fixed, a serious bug that came up when undocking a ship from an asteroid. Fixed version is in the first post.

In other news, I'm hoping to have version 1.0 out next weekend. At that point, I'll be moving CA to the Add-On Releases forum.

Edited by Starstrider42

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Request: Can you make this compatible with StarSystems?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86999-0-24-StarSystems-v0-1

Are they incompatible? I saw some people creating asteroid groups around new stars with Custom Asteroids like him:

Sucessfully was able to use CustomAsteroids to spawn around Corbo and Dolas. Close enough to planets for me!

Just want to make a quick bug report:

14746922805_69bddf8720_b.jpg

No, this is not a massive comet making its way into the Kerbin system, but rather several thousand asteroids being spawned.

14746922775_57828b634f_b.jpg

I noticed a strange slowdown in my game, and checking the debug menu showed many, many lines of this:

at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.ParseEnum (System.Type enumType, System.String vectorString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.ReadValue (System.Type fieldType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.ReadObject (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.ReadObject (. field, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.ReadObject (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node, Int32 pass, Boolean removeAfterUse) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.PopulationLoader.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.PopulationLoader
at Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.PopulationLoader.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.AsteroidManager..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.AsteroidManager
at Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.SpawnCatcher.CatchAsteroidSpawn (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProtoVessel.Load (.FlightState st) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Game.AddVessel (.ConfigNode protoVesselNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ScenarioDiscoverableObjects.SpawnAsteroid () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.CustomAsteroidSpawner.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

CustomAsteroids: asteroid discovered at UT 612365.373820538

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. UYY-026

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

ArgumentException: The requested value 'Gaussian' was not found.
at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.ParseEnum (System.Type enumType, System.String vectorString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.ReadValue (System.Type fieldType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.ReadObject (. field, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node, Int32 pass, Boolean removeAfterUse) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.PopulationLoader

at Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.AsteroidManager..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.AsteroidManager
at Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.SpawnCatcher.CatchAsteroidSpawn (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Game.AddVessel (.ConfigNode protoVesselNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ScenarioDiscoverableObjects.SpawnAsteroid () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.CustomAsteroidSpawner.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. AKB-027

at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. SRI-375

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. NCA-515

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. NSI-113

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. CUF-544

mentException: The requested value 'Gaussian' was not found.  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I can upload the full log if needed.

14766782943_e62780eb35_b.jpg

Note that I am using quite a few mods (hooray for 64 bit!), so its likely a conflict with one of those. Anyway, hope this helps!

Just want to make a quick bug report:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2924/14746922805_69bddf8720_b.jpg

No, this is not a massive comet making its way into the Kerbin system, but rather several thousand asteroids being spawned.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5565/14746922775_57828b634f_b.jpg

I noticed a strange slowdown in my game, and checking the debug menu showed many, many lines of this:

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. UYY-026

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. AKB-027

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. SRI-375

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. NCA-515

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. NSI-113

CustomAsteroids: caught spawn of Ast. CUF-544

mentException: The requested value 'Gaussian' was not found.  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I can upload the full log if needed.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2911/14766782943_e62780eb35_b.jpg

Note that I am using quite a few mods (hooray for 64 bit!), so its likely a conflict with one of those. Anyway, hope this helps!

I can report the same problem, which was resolved by disabling the custom spawner.

• 2 weeks later...