KAS: the Kerbal Attachment Syndrome

Starwhip

Next Duna window that opens up, I swear I'll send a crew to it. I've got a whole year to build an orbital spacecraft. So... "stuff will happen"

And what's the Moho window? Still haven't been there. Same with Dres and Eeloo. Never even seen them. But everything else I have.

Space is scary.

You mean disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence?

I can relate, I am also always worried being unable to return them - back in .20 I was rather careless ... in a most likely already deleted save there were Kerbals on Duna, Laythe and Eve ...

Only recently in .23 did I go to Duna again, although I had a Kerbal in an Ion Ship in .20 too, on a more or less parallel orbit with Kerbin - got him home with a few puffs of RCS on the other side of Kerbol and lots of time warping, but I got him home!

I know the feeling. In my new career save for 23.5, I'm just getting to the point where I'm ready to step outside of Kerbin's SOI. I've been to Minmus and the Mün, so I thought I'd do a little science mission in solar orbit. It was honestly a little scary leaving Kerbin space - getting away from the SOI is simple, but getting back, I wasn't so sure. I don't honestly know the best way - burning retrograde didn't do it, so finally I targeted a flag on Kerbin and thrust prograde toward it. That brought me back into Kerbin's SOI, and from there getting home was easy.

But that part where you're not influenced by anything but solar gravity? That was a little unsettling. Still, it was worth it for the 700-ish science I got from the goo, the mats, the crew report and the EVA.

I know the feeling. In my new career save for 23.5, I'm just getting to the point where I'm ready to step outside of Kerbin's SOI. I've been to Minmus and the Mün, so I thought I'd do a little science mission in solar orbit. It was honestly a little scary leaving Kerbin space - getting away from the SOI is simple, but getting back, I wasn't so sure. I don't honestly know the best way - burning retrograde didn't do it, so finally I targeted a flag on Kerbin and thrust prograde toward it. That brought me back into Kerbin's SOI, and from there getting home was easy.

But that part where you're not influenced by anything but solar gravity? That was a little unsettling. Still, it was worth it for the 700-ish science I got from the goo, the mats, the crew report and the EVA.

I'm a lot like the thread opener and HeadHunter67. I use a life support mod (TAC at the moment), Deadly Reentry and FAR, so most stuff hast to work on the first try. I've never sent a Kerbal out of Kerbin's SOI, and I'm planning my first manned Duna mission since 0.22, though I've pulled off a few unmanned landings.

I just recently did an unmanned Asteroid capture just outside of Kerbin's SOI and sent a probe just into interplanetary space and back to Kerbin to get some science landed back, and that gave me the confidence that I have all the skills I need to risk sending a manned mission out there. I find that the asteroids give a nice opportunity to test a manned design (complete with a hab and life support) to prove that it's fit for interplanetary missions.

I've long contemplated my mission plan to Duna, but now I just decided it's done and good enough, and I've almost got all the components ready and tested, except for the lander. That one still needs some data from the probes, but I'm quite sure what I have now will not need to change much. So all indications are close to 'go'.

I'm really determined to finish off the first wave of unmanned Duna missions on the first transfer window, including a sample return to test dv-requirements under FAR, and send the first Kerbals on the next window, before 0.24 comes.

Maybe we should set up a self-help-group? :)

I see all the buttons on the nav ball, and freak out.

When I want to go to Duna, and have correct angle and know where and how long to burn, I have a minor panic attack doing the burn, and then I start moving the rocket all over the place because I'm mashing wasd trying to keep heading on blue marker.

I personally am not afraid of stranding Kerbals somewhere for a year or two, If I am in a preparation process for return mission.

I personally do like "split return" Missions, when Kerbals are sent out with one way ticket, and get their return vehicle when their business there is over.

Right now, Lufrod, Orfrod and Hadred Kerman are on Mun in Mobile Lab Facility, gathering science. Once they will have a science from 3-4 biomes, I will send a return craft. It will get them home. I do not have the craft itself right now, but it makes me confident (and Kerbals hopefully) that I will make a return craft and take them home. Meanwhile, they have a pretty Joyous ride over the Mun. (Going to post a Mission report later. That is THE ride, I must say. ;) )

;1095248']I personally am not afraid of stranding Kerbals somewhere for a year or two' date=' If I am in a preparation process for return mission.

I personally do like "split return" Missions, when Kerbals are sent out with one way ticket, and get their return vehicle when their business there is over.

Right now, Lufrod, Orfrod and Hadred Kerman are on Mun in Mobile Lab Facility, gathering science. Once they will have a science from 3-4 biomes, I will send a return craft. It will get them home. I do not have the craft itself right now, but it makes me confident (and Kerbals hopefully) that I will make a return craft and take them home. Meanwhile, they have a pretty Joyous ride over the Mun. (Going to post a Mission report later. That is THE ride, I must say. ;) )[/quote']

That's an idea. I think what I am going to do, however, is have a large ship, with an emergency "Blow-everything-else-to-bits-and-abort-mission" setup, where the outside of the rocket is ejected and a central crew habitat remains with enough fuel for a return home. Everything else is shedded, and the science is in a separate unmanned vessel that continues its mission to wherever... woah, that's actually a better idea then I thought it was!

I've also adopted the idea of creating a manned lander/mission vessel and then slapping a probe core on it to test things out first. I don't want to lose any Kerbals in 23.5 now that I feel like I am a competent mission planner and pilot. For my longer mission that I am planning to Jool I am sending up a science lab and habitation module, unmanned, first to set up a space station. Even though I don't have any life support mods I self impose a certain amount of realism to any of my missions.

I've been using Ioncross Crew Support for a long time, where you only have to worry about oxygen for your crew, so I've stablished a couple of permanent colonies that I'm permanently trying to get bigger (actually I didn't bother to think how to make them get back if needed, I may in the future xD), on Eve and Laythe, only places where I can get oxygen xD But other than that, only some fast "plant flag and run home while breathing slow" crewed missions out of Kerbin SOI.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.