I found this interesting picture

Open up a new window side by side. Go to google.com/images. Click and drag this image into the search box. This will pull up similar images. If you do this, you will find a nice hi-res version here.

You can drag images to the search box?

Didn`t know that!

TYVM

Edited by John FX

The loneliest people EVER have been the one left behind in the command module.... alone orbiting the Moon, 250,000 miles from any other (non astronaut) person....

If I was a Tech at NASA, I would have rigged up a gadget to get a hammer to knock on the capsule door....

"Who's there?"

Anyhow, rather than focus on the loneliness of the occasion, most were gazing upon the earth and seeing just how small and fragile it looked... and thinking that man has to start looking after his home world...

In 1969, at the time of the first Apollo landing... war was raging in Vietnam.... none of that could be seen from the Moon.... makes you wonder, doesn't it, what is the point of war? Why did those thousands upon thousands of men, women and children have to die? Look at that photo in post number one, can you see any borders on the Earth?

Its one small tiny world.... and very fragile as we are finding out now!

Yes, you too would feel lonely in the command module... clarity of thought.... everyone of those guys thought about how small and fragile the world was.... NOT about how lonely they felt.

:)

Hmm... if only the selfie had been invented in 1969...

I'd like to think Collins had more class than to resort to that self inflating fad...

And oh, cameras with self timers had been around for decades, self portraits were not unknown. But they were not used by the inflated egotripping kids as the "seflie" is today.

Hmm... if only the selfie had been invented in 1969...

When I saw that link, I literally felt my jaw drop. I almost shed a tear... That is very heavy to think about.

But the key is... the big important... it's not about self.

We can take a photo of ourselves any time. Taking a photo of the earth or moon, or even someone else... that is amazing. :)

We can take a photo of ourselves any time.

Oh no, I was just joking that Mike Collins could have been in the photo if he had taken a selfie. Still one of my favorite pictures EVAR, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.