The Stock Craft Repository (v0.24.2) - no longer being maintained

Uh oh, I somehow forgot about this thread for a while. Been so busy with spring stuff, and getting our garden set up. I promise I'll put all these new crafts into the OP today.

EDIT: All added. Also corrected the grammatical mistake mentioned by iDan122. On a side note, I'm going to be using mhoram's lifters in my YouTube channel from now on. They look so awesome!

Edited by Andrew Hansen

Munar Gravimapper (link)

A lightweight probe, with a very tiny launcher and an ever so small transfer stage to scan the gravitationnal fields of Kerbin's natural satellites.

It is very easy to control. Some people might prefer to replace the tali fins with a SAS module, but I think it is overkill with the RCS.

I love this probe because it has just enough fuel to do it's job.

The center of the launcher is supposed to go on a 300Km graveyard orbit and if you do not forget to put yourself directly in a polar orbit, the transfert stage's sepatrons can déorbit it, so you have almost no debris.

If you are a neat freak, you can still send a claw to grab and deorbit the stuff that's at 300Km.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Please add!

from my aerospace page:

Ptarmigan complete science SSTO

Easy to fly, easy to land, and good looking to the eyes. This model is quite the miracle in the eyes of the Kerbals flying it xD I loved making this ship and I hope you love flying it. This craft is extremely good at what is is designed for. It can easily get to orbit and holds strong with few tweaks at physics warp 4. The burning effect looks pretty sick too :)

Ptarmigan SSTO

<snip>

Hey Shope! Thanks for joining the KSP forums! Your craft looks great! But before I can put it into the OP, I need a download link. You can upload the .craft file to one of the example sites mentioned in the original post.

My first post here! (tell me if i'm doing it right:rolleyes:) This craft was built pre .23.5 so it has no NASA parts but still works fine. The compact lander lands on almost entirely parachutes to save fuel.

even then you will need to use the engines a little bit to stop the landing legs from breaking. Otherwise the craft is pretty straight forward to use, has plenty of fuel in all areas. i usually orbit it

at ~50K around Duna, the lander should have plenty of extra fuel to rendezvous so don't worry.

Note: pictures of the craft reentering aren't included but if the staging works properly (and you remember to ditch the lander around Duna) the engines and fuel should detach and the Hitchhiker

storage container will float gently down to the surface.

Download

Edited by Totallyafk

I found myself wanting more lighting at the launchpad, although I got totally sidetracked from what I originally was working on. I came up with 6 tiny rovers to illuminate my creations for the occasional night launch, or so the rocket can just sit there and look cool all night. Bob approves.

http://imgur.com/a/yylI5

The rovers have nine parts. I have posted a craft, and a sandbox-mode savegame zip which has them arranged around the launchpad for demonstration purposes. Just copy in your favorite tall rocket and try it out.

Savegame:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30669875/KSP/Launchpad%20Lights.zip

Craft:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30669875/KSP/ULV-3.craft

Revized Z-1k Craft:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30669875/KSP/ULV-4.craft

EDIT: I just realized they don't last all night. I didn't count the OKTO2 probe when I calculated energy usage. Swap the Z-400 for the Z-1k and You'll be good to go.

That's awesome! I love tiny little things and random creations like this!!! I'm certainly going to use this in my own game, really cool! :)

Here's the MU ODP-1 Thor, a "rods from god"-type orbital weapons platform!

Gallery:

Download:

http://www./view/8f494ek533b5jff/MU_ODP-1__Thor_.craft

(WARNING: Part count is HIGH. Proceed with caution. Also, it is the responsibility of the user to make a launcher for this station. I'm very lazy. :P)

This is me presenting the Yeager Mk1 (SSTO).

She is a three crew SSTO capable of reaching my space station that orbits at 200km and back with enough dV to spare for the very necessary tower flyby.

Crew capacity: 3

Takeoff weight: 30.709 t

Vessel cost: 91.67 M$

Part count: 79

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5eDsymBJt_Kdlo0akdsd3NDVGM/edit?usp=sharing

I haven't given this thread any love, so here's my first submission (though the whole catalog of R-SUV could be linked here, in time):

- General Liftersâ„¢

After much testing and VAB mucking around, here they are! Not so much a family as a design philosophy, they nonetheless share lots of common details:

- They all have fairings. Why? Well, because they look cool, mostly, but perhaps they make them work in Ferram, who knows. Feel free to save them as subassemblies to use, they are standard sizes that fit 1.25 to 3.75 standard tank diameters with lots of room in them, and you could always extend them by copying sections (ALT+click copies instead of grabbing).

- All upper stages are "Smart". That means independent RCS subsystem, some batteries and probe and SAS units. No space debris, even if you run them dry by mistake!

- Form over function. Most are bigger than they should, and none of them go after efficiency. We are here to play a game, and we all like to see nice things on the screen. This is my best stab at providing that, hope you guys like it!

- Fuel lines are for sissies. While some of them don't follow this rule (and are therefore likely to be replaced), most of them do and still make a 2.5 staging work. Now they all do! Why? Again, personal aesthetics. I like the engineering solution, tanks are light, and if you do it right it is also close to what the best asparagus can offer. Think of it as a challenge I set for myself while building. Besides, I don't use SRBs nearly enough, and this is my way of making amends for that, many of them use solid boosters. The idea is no core should be able to lift off without help from the boosters, but they do have huge mass ratios.

-Subassembly friendly. While they come with a standard benchmark payload included, the root part is always (IIRC) the decoupler that joins that to the rocket, so you can either: a) take out the payload and build your own or B) take everything under the decoupler and make that a subassembly, or even c) take out the payload, save, then use the file as a perfect subassembly without any struts messing up. I thought it was the most convenient way to provide for every preference.

So without further due, here they are, for your use and enjoyment. Hope you put them to good use! :)

91qd6aD.jpg

5 mT General Lifter "Scout"

a0Libdn.png

A complete redesign of another one, it turned out a very simple two stage to orbit design, with a somewhat unusual launch (T/W is so low the ~10m/s those separatrons give you upon liftoff really helps). Delta-v budget, like in most models is really tight, so err on the side of caution and pick a bigger launcher if you push the payload past the certified load.

10mT General Lifter "Pathfinder"

JZ9RtMA.png

The only one with crossfeeding, this one was built mostly to fill the spot between other rockets, and it shows. Probably the likeliest to be replaced. Replaced! Now it uses medium SRBs for a 2.5 staging scheme like the rest of the family. No crossfeed technology here!

20mT General Lifter "Ranger"

7FpkYM0.png

Probably the one I'm most proud of, this one is a beauty to fly. The beast that is the new LRB provides for a very long-burning core that takes you almost all the way to orbit, with a legitimate use of SRBs that fit just like they were tailored for the launch. The upper stage actually does little of the job, and thus has very little thrust, but is a great basis for cruise stages with smaller payloads. Most payloads should fit here, at least as long as they aren't bundles of independent vehicles and/or very kerbal stuff (you decide what that means).

30mT General Lifter "Forerunner"

irj1YYc.png

A straight evolution of the Ranger, with enlarged fairing, uprated core engine to 125% nominal thrust (thrust is set to 80% on the Ranger), double up on boosters and an upper stage with twice the fuel and thrust. It was surprisingly easy to put together, and it was done so at the request of the public. Thanks, public! :D

50mT General Lifter "Longstrider"

fI0egHX.png

Possessing pretty much the same flight profile but with a beefier upper stage and correspondingly smaller core (the LRBs thrust is awesome even among the ARM update engines), this one looks very sexy, and the fairing fits very well with the vehicle. Ideal for a heavy workhorse.

75mT General Lifter "Nomad"

GIoSnjO.png

Yes, this is one looks like it should be crossfed, right? Wrong, no fuel lines here! Just good old R-7 style liquid boosters helping get the most use out of a high-isp sustainer and allowing very big payloads, that would be impossible to do without clustering engines in a traditional two-stage design. Oh, and the shroud can handle 3.75m tanks... with room to spare!

100mT General Lifter "Peregrine"

HW170k0.png

Almost the same thing as the 75mT one, only this one has MOAR BOOSTERS and a bigger shroud. Jeb would be proud.

DOWNLOADS:

5mT General Lifter

10mT General Lifter

20mT General Lifter

20mT General Lifter

50mT General Lifter

75mT General Lifter

100mT General Lifter

IMGUR ALBUM:

The full family is pictured there sequentially, from smallest to biggest, with a full test launch with comments. Be sure to check it out for the details!

And that does it for now. But I'm not saying they aren't subject to revision and/or new additions... After all, some of you are already thinking these are way too small, I'm sure :rolleyes:

Rune. I'll add some more every now and then, though, don't want to drop tens of crafts all of a sudden.

Shotput/ Courier craft file

ShotputCourier_zpsaee422d4.jpg

I guess this one goes under "rockets with payloads".

This is my generic 5 ton lifter. Slap whatever you want on top of it with a docking ring (5 ton weight budget) and it'll deliver it to orbit at 80 Km.

Shotput launch sequence:

Ensure destination's docking port is aligned n/s

Orient map view and wait for launch window (target approx 60* short of KSC)

Switch to sequence view, run up engines to full, engage SAS

Launch

Jettison 1st stage when dry

begin tipover to prograde heading (generally 090) at 7Km altitude

Jettison 2nd stage when dry

launch profile

keep an eye on 3rd stage and apoapsis. Jettison 3rd stage when dry. Interrupt burn when apoapsis reaches 80Km.

68* pitch at 15Km altitude

45* at 25Km altitude

23* at 35Km altitude

0* at 45Km altitude

Stage 4 prograde until dry or until periapsis is about to become established >0. If periapsis >0, burn stage 4 to de-orbit. Jettison stage 4.

Courier mission sequence

Accelerate prograde to establish 80Km orbit.

Deploy solar panels

Target destination

execute burn to match ascention

execute burn to rendezvous (prograde if target is behind you and retrograde no less than 70Km periapsis if target is ahead)

begin intercept at apoapsis

end intercept at safe distance from target (0.0 closure rate)

orient n/s

target destination dock and engage RCS.

maneuver to docking

orient and maneuver payload/ destination as necessary for desired orbit and attitude.

decouple from payload

maneuver to safe distance

disable RCS

deorbit burn until periapsis =0. If dry, use RCS.

Orient prograde and jettison booster

Orient retrograde

retract solar panels

deploy chute after reentry burn

SAS off

disable reaction wheel and guidance

recover vehicle

I'm thinking I can tweak the design a bit to reuse every scrap. I'll re-post it once I've upgraded it enough to warrant.

Happy building!

-Slashy

Edit...

SC2_0_zpsdf5c31f7.jpg

Shotput/ Courier 2.0 (shown with 5 ton supply canister payload)

Testing Shotput/ Courier 2.0. Changes include:

-parachute recovery of all stages for refurbishment and reuse

-Moved RCS thrusters to guidance package for recovery

-added protective casings to solar panels

-added landing struts to guidance package for terrain landings.

If it tests out, I'll update with the vehicle file.

Edited by GoSlash27

I designed a craft that could perform all science missions on Kerbin as well as serve as a docking craft or interplanetary vessel. I have not yet tested it for pushing asteroids. It launches vertically and can land as a plane horizontally as per the description of a space shuttle.

In the hangar:

scienceshuttle.png

At Launch before separation:

screenshot0.png

Making the turn to land after pre-detonating the prior stages to demonstrate its landing ability.. even so, look at all those resources it's still carrying.

screenshot1.png

Night landings are hard, the runway isn't lit. I'm going by the position of my debris from the pre-detonation at launch:

screenshot2.png

Safe and stopped.. but not after a close call. I landed on the slope on the edge of the runway, despite landing at 70m/s on a slope, she still held together.

screenshot5.png

Important notes, stall speed on air breathing fully loaded on fuel is around 80 m/s.. you won't be able to gain altitude at weight and speed. Switching to closed cycle to boost thrust and consume any excess fuel helps this and makes for a relatively stable and safe landing. Just don't try to land blind like I did. Landing is best done around 1/10th to 1/4 power with nose pitched at 20-30 degrees up angle over the horizon.

The space plane itself was inspired by the designs of the global hawk and predator drones! Enjoy!

Science Shuttle

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

SSTO reuseable, can carry a dockable/undockable science payload to orbit, for any low-g vac body or any atmospheric body.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fdo8wqhv4rtuwlk/AAC-nNvUunhWaX149qDNja20a

Sounds good, but would you mind sharing a screenshot? You can take screenshots by pressing F1, then upload them to one of the sites I mentioned in the original post.

Welcome to a new way of space travelling. Welcome to the new Golden Age of extraplanetary exploration. Welcome to Project Orion, the most accurate space vessel ever done.

MAIN DESCRIPTION

Our engineers in Dieguscus.Corp have managed to make one of the most precise, well-crafted and engineered ship kerbalkind has ever achieved.

Project Orion is based on its real world counterpart, the Orion MPCV, which will carry astronauts to the future planned missions of the NASA space agency. Project Orion is mostly made-up of two major parts: the crew module, which will contain the crew and all the life-support , and the service module, which acts as the propulsion system of the vessel.

This propulsion system consits of one LV-T45 engine which serves as the main engine of the ship and a set a four auxiliary LV-1R liquid engines for extra movility. Is also equiped with the latest RCS thruster technology for efficiency and precision control in zero gravity.

Also equipped with action groups:

• Press 1 to toggle both OX-4L 1x6 Photovoltaic Panels, Comms DTS-M1 long-range communication antenna and deactivate torque of the MK1-2 Command Pod.
  • Press 2 to activate/deactivate the main LV-T45 liquid engine.
  • Press 3 to activate/deactivate the LV-R1 engines.

ADDITIONAL SPECS

• Total cost: 65,530Cr.
  • Total mass: 17,345Kg.
  • ISP value: 363s.
  • Amount of thrust: 216kN.
  • Total amount of DELTA-V: 2,202m/s.

Congratulations! Now you're good to go!

Once your mission is done and you are on a low Kerbin orbit, the Crew Module will detach from the Service Module and will carry safely the crew to land.

PRODUCT IMAGES

Unfortunatelly we have not developed a reliable launch system that could bring Project Orion beyond Kerbin, but I'm sure each consumer will manage to do one of them (specially with the new SLS parts).

Originally Project Orion was built because of the non-accurate Orion MPCV ships. If you share my dream of bringing some vehicle to the kerbals that could transport them safely beyond Kerbin don't doubt, download now and enjoy several missions with it and its crew.

[modedit: Adfly link removed]

:D ENJOY! :D

LINK TO THE ORIGINAL POST: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75538-Project-Orion%28MPCV%29-The-most-accurate-Orion-vessel-you-probably-have-seen-until-now?p=1071835#post1071835

(Tested with several crew members. 54.5% of mission succeed. All tests were done in closed areas and performed by non-trained stuntmans. Dieguscus.Corp does not responsibilice of future injures or deads.)

Edited by technicalfool
Adfly link removed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.