What should we call a Kerbin Day and a Kerbin Year?

Superfluous J

So it seems weird to refer to the 6 hour period that it takes Kerbin to rotate as a "day", when that's what we call a 24 hour period and we share all smaller time measurements (hours are the same, as are minutes and seconds). Likewise, a Kerbin Year is not the same as an Earth year, either in Earth or Kerbin days.

So first off, do they need a name other than "Kerbin Days" or "Kerbin Years"?

Secondly, if they do need a name, what should that name be?

My first thought is to mis alternately-spell them. Like Dai for Day and Yeer for Year. Somewhat like how Mun is really just a misspelling of Moon.

Thoughts?

I don't think so, unless there is an incredibly amusing way to call it.

Not much else in Kerbal is a miss spelled representation of real world subjects. A Kerbal day is a Kerbal day, and a Kerbal year is a Kerbal year. Saying its a Kerbal Dai just seems like a misspelling. The name of their moon is the "Mun", that's its name, not a different way to spell things. Otherwise we might all end up talking in a different language (backward spanish anyone?)

A day is how long it takes the planet to rotate around it's axis and a year is how long it takes a planet to complete a full trip around it's star.

The terms are not specific to Earth, so qualifying with which bodies days and year you are referring too is just a necessary thing.

Unless of course you also want to come up with ways to misspell these words to describe a Mars day/year, a Jupiter day/year, a Neptune day/year, a Moho day/year etc etc etc. I think you'd quickly run out of options.

I liked it when 24 hours counted as a day. It made for an interesting perspective of time in fan stories. And really, how would any one get anything done in three hours of sunlight? That's only a little more than my regular trip to uni and then back. [/rant]

I could get behind potential misspellings, though "Mun" is a precedent, it is the only example.

But please, no k syndrome. 'Kol' would be ok, as 'Sol' is a precedent, but dai sounds better.

Personally, I'd prefer to go back to 24 hour, player relatible days, ignore the idea of months, and use a Kerbin based year. Though I can see why smaller days and longer seeming travel times would be added realism for some.

Reverse spanish!

Year: ona

Day: aid

Hour: aroh

Month: sem

minute: otunim

second: odnuges

Odd language.

Personally, I'd prefer to go back to 24 hour, player relatible days, ignore the idea of months, and use a Kerbin based year. Though I can see why smaller days and longer seeming travel times would be added realism for some.

Change the setting

what's year in Spanish? We could call it that backwards!

Love the idea! Really I should have thought of it.

Year: ona

Day: aid

More particularly, year is año, pronounced ann-yoh. So a Kerbin Year would be an ohn-ya, spelled oña.

Likewise, day is día or dee-yah so a Kerbin day would be a aíd or... I can't get that pronuncation to type. aay-yad?

Hour: aroh

Month: sem

minute: otunim

second: odnuges

These are exactly the same as ours (except months which we don't really need) so I don't think they're necessary. Plus the less to remember the better :)

Why not have every word start with a k, let's use it every where.

Kas kou kan kee khis kis kery koothing ko kead, khe koft K's kat khe keginning kof kevery kord.

Khis kalso kolves khe "khat khould ke kame khis kand khat kin KSP" kroblem, kecause kou kalready kave ka K kin kront kof kit.

Why not have every word start with a k, let's use it every where.

Kas kou kan kee khis kis kery koothing ko kead, khe koft K's kat khe keginning kof kevery kord.

Khis kalso kolves khe "khat khould ke kame khis kand khat kin KSP" kroblem, kecause kou kalready kave ka K kin kront kof kit.

Kat's a kabulous kidea, Kalbert! Ke kould ko khis kor keverything kin khe kerbin kuniverse!

not really loving the K-syndrome for time periods, Kay sounds a bit weird and Keek, no....just no. I do like the reverse Spanish for year, ona sounds quite cool, but I'm not a fan of 'aid' for day. perhaps ona for year and dai for day?

Well, not exactly the same (Hora-hour, minuto-minute, segundo-second) but almost.

Haha no I meant a Kerbin Hour is the same length of time as an Earth Hour. Same for Kerbin Minutes and Kerbin seconds. So there's really no need for a different name for them.

not really loving the K-syndrome for time periods, Kay sounds a bit weird and Keek, no....just no. I do like the reverse Spanish for year, ona sounds quite cool, but I'm not a fan of 'aid' for day. perhaps ona for year and dai for day?

I agree. 'aid' is hard to say "correctly" and most people would just pronounce it like we'd pronounce those 3 letters. I'm losing my love of "dai" even though I'm the one who mentioned it first, though, because if you say it out loud it's ambiguous. Unless we go all weird and pronounce it "da-ee" :D

*snip

I agree. 'aid' is hard to say "correctly" and most people would just pronounce it like we'd pronounce those 3 letters. I'm losing my love of "dai" even though I'm the one who mentioned it first, though, because if you say it out loud it's ambiguous. Unless we go all weird and pronounce it "da-ee" :D

I thought that the ambiguous pronunciation of dai was actually one of its selling points. It's bad enough when Kerbal terms slip out in regular conversations and folk look at you like your mad when you say Mun instead of Moon, at least dai could pass without being noticed!

Kerbals call their daylight period a "kerbal". The reason why the Kerbals divided their day into 6 hours is because they count in base-6. 2 thumbs, 2 flipper-like hands, and 2 feet. So in Old Kerbish, the hours are named for these body parts. Standing facing south (the direction of positive charges), stuff rises to their left and sets to their right, making a circuit along the outline of the body. Thus, the hour of sunrise is called "left foot", followed by "left hand", "left thumb", "right thumb", "right hand", and "right foot" for the hour of sunset. And thus "left knee" is half passed the 1st hour, "head" is half passed noon, etc. And a whole trip of the sun across the sky is thus the entire body, or a "kerbal".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.