Seat Fixer - Assign Crew to Command Seats in VAB / SPH! Launch Kerbals on an SRB!

TouhouTorpedo

Is there a fix or a way to not have the kerbal die when he gets out of the seat or goes eva in space. My kerbals just blow up and die, I don't want to get rid of the mod but I can't keep killing kerbals like this.

Is there a fix or a way to not have the kerbal die when he gets out of the seat or goes eva in space. My kerbals just blow up and die, I don't want to get rid of the mod but I can't keep killing kerbals like this.

Someone is going to have to post a modlist and/or a craft file for me to even look at this, it's not a bug I'm getting so I can't do anything about it till I get a proper bug report!

Someone is going to have to post a modlist and/or a craft file for me to even look at this, it's not a bug I'm getting so I can't do anything about it till I get a proper bug report!

OK, it's definately an issue with the seat fix + KJR

Edited by Roxette

If thats the case, KJR might be adding extra joints between each part rather than strengthening that joint. I'll have to ask Farram some time about this. I wasn't aware though that KJR was even still in use, I thought this was abandoned in 0.23.5.

If thats the case, KJR might be adding extra joints between each part rather than strengthening that joint. I'll have to ask Farram some time about this. I wasn't aware though that KJR was even still in use, I thought this was abandoned in 0.23.5.

in 0.23 with KJR, my kerbals also "poofed" when leaving the seat (XYZ has collide with seat...)

... And suddenly kerbals don't appear anymore. Maybe something to do with Module Manager 2.0.7? I'll update to 2.0.8 or roll back to 2.0.5 when I get home & check again.

Also, it doesn't works with Kerbtown launchpad selection, need to be confirmed, the launchpad is reverted back to standard KSP ones (launchpad & runway). So we can have filled seats... or distant spawn point, can be hard to choose.

Also, it doesn't works with Kerbtown launchpad selection, need to be confirmed, the launchpad is reverted back to standard KSP ones (launchpad & runway). So we can have filled seats... or distant spawn point, can be hard to choose.

I'm not sure why it would interfere with this - SeatFixer doesn't do anything until physics unlock is confirmed. Are you sure its this mod doing it?

... And suddenly kerbals don't appear anymore. Maybe something to do with Module Manager 2.0.7? I'll update to 2.0.8 or roll back to 2.0.5 when I get home & check again.

Are you sure there is enough space for them to spawn? Try deleting the seats and placing them again in an open area, and see if that solves the issue.

http://i.imgur.com/V9GWK9I.png

As you can see, Economy class is not the most comfy place in the airplane, particularly when It's fully loaded

lol'd, this is fantastic. Looks like when a lot of Kerbals are used this can summon the Kraken.

What I'd hope is that enough people would spread the idea around that Squad will pay attention to the idea and actually add this to the game stock, as it's always going to be a bit hacky the way it had to be done here.

I'm not sure why it would interfere with this - SeatFixer doesn't do anything until physics unlock is confirmed. Are you sure its this mod doing it?

I don't know what was goind on on that time but I was wrong I think, as I've done a more thorough test today, with all four possible conditions (with-without kerbals, with-without kerbtown launch site), and all works as expected, no issue.

One other issue I encounter is warping while on a suborbital flight on Mun, cause kerbal to be stretched and ejected (ripped off would be more appropriate :) ) from the seat on unwrap and uncontrollable at all (but here is KJR which cause some trouble as one input lock is KJRLoadLock), I use warpunlocker (10x near ~20km altitude)

• 2 weeks later...

I've identified another cause of exploding kerbals on leaving the seat, and it can happen in different circumstances for the same reason - that the position the kerbal is spawning to on leaving the seat is colliding with part of the vessel structure. I spent a while determining by experiment how exactly the parameters in the part configuration file need to be changed to move the spawn point :

// ejectDirection = x, y, z

// x,y,z set where kerbal spawns after leaving seat

// x = distance from seat, positive to right, negative to left

// y = 1 = spawn distance ignore structure

// y = -1 = spawn distance = clear of structure immediately surrounding seat

// y = -2 = spawn distance = clear of furthest vessel structure

// z = distance from seat, positive to forward, negative to rear

By setting these appropriately you can avoid kerbal explosions (and kerbals inconveniently falling from tall structures). :)

Edited by Roxette

OMG! When I clicked that download link, I was afraid I was going to get rick'rolled. Aaaaaand no???? IT's actually for real???? Wooooooooooaaaaaah! THanks! You are my heerooooo!

A few annoyances with this addon that I experienced was that with Texture Replacer, and its "no-helmet in atmosphere" feature, upon entering non-atmospheric conditions the kerbal doesn't update its helmet status. The guy running that plugin says he won't touch that. it's led me to simply choose not to use this mod and, in fact, not even use those command seats for anything that would ever have a reason to go into non-atmospheric conditions. also, in orbit they always exploded when leaving the seat.... except for that last one that simple spawned on the other side of the ship after ejecting... with his helmet off too. bleh.

• 2 weeks later...
A few annoyances with this addon that I experienced was that with Texture Replacer, and its "no-helmet in atmosphere" feature, upon entering non-atmospheric conditions the kerbal doesn't update its helmet status. The guy running that plugin says he won't touch that. it's led me to simply choose not to use this mod and, in fact, not even use those command seats for anything that would ever have a reason to go into non-atmospheric conditions. also, in orbit they always exploded when leaving the seat.... except for that last one that simple spawned on the other side of the ship after ejecting... with his helmet off too. bleh.

Does it update the status when you save and reload, or vessel switch in the command center?

-------

Also, does this mod cover all instances of KerbalSeat or just the one? The Escape Pod in the D12 pack uses the seat logic, and this bug sounds like it would make a nice feature actually. Even enclosed in the little cylinder with the glass door shut, they insist on leaving their helmets on. I haven't seen any documentation that allows them to take it off like you can with regular IVA's.

I think TouHou Torpedo's license keeps anyone but him from uploading it, and for some reason he was so heavily against of the shutting down of the crappy site that was SpacePort he as of now has decided to let his mods die with SpacePort.

• 1 month later...

If there weren't any alternatives ... but there are lots! Dropbox for example. I can't understand why someone needs to be emotional over something which isn't affecting gameplay in any way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...