35MN thrust and a 30min burn...

StratoK

By this definition earth would be inside any solar system existing. In RL the gravity of objects extends infinitely.

A body's SOI is the region in which it is the dominant gravitational influence. There are no objects outside of the Kerbol system, so a distant object would never find a more dominant gravitational influence.

I think it would be fair, if they put other solar systems in, is to have a jump-drive that only works at a lagrange point of a system... don't know if anyone else has read Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell (AKA John G Hemry!)

In these books they abuse fuel/engines muchly (they seem to have the ability to fly in straight lines within a solar system... hmm...) but I agree with the 'jump drives' described and the 'Hypernet' technology they have, as both have their pro's and con's, so it's not like having one makes the other useless; both are very useful, but for traveling different distances.

If they don't add 'something' that enables FTL then as already mentioned, things would get a bit tedious, and repetitive if you take much science...

I just think that there are good ways of doing it and bad ways :)

• 2 years later...
On 21.04.2014 at 1:33 AM, turkwinif said:

I have a question - how do you hold your ship together with an engine(s) that has 35 million maximum thrust?

That's a notch below 9 Mammoths, or 35 Vectors. Doesn't seem that impossible.

It's worth noting that this is an old thread, from a couple of years ago.  KSP has changed, people have moved on, and responding to someone who wrote something two years ago and may not even be on the forums anymore doesn't accomplish much.  :wink:

Locking thread to prevent further confusion.  If someone would like to discuss this kind of topic, feel free to spin up a new thread.