[0.23.5] ModuleRCSFX 0.3 - RCS with PROPELLANT{}-based fuels and EFFECTS{}-based FX!

ialdabaoth

Should be fixed in latest version (get the dll from github, I don't think ialdabaoth updated the package yet.)

NO! DON'T GET THE DLL FROM GITHUB! THERE IS A HORRIBLE NULLREFERENCEEXCEPTION BUG!

Let me continue work on it tonight, and THEN I will post a new .zip link.

EDIT: IGNORE ME! The DLL is just fine, it was someone else's mod that was causing my NREs

Edited by ialdabaoth

This is a great mod, but the sounds are bit...annoying in the long run. Enabling/disabling RCS gives loud noise like air would be vented out at high pressure. But that is not the worst one, the 'puks' sound that rcs makes almost constantly when SAS is switched on, is...nerve breaking to be honest. I had to remove the plugin for that, but is there a way to remove that repeating 'puks' sound, maybe just by removing the sound file?

And yes, i use RCS quite a lot and i like the effects and the things future might bring along.

i think the sounds are optional, just use the ones you need. its up to the modder to make their thruster sounds non-annoying.

Edited by Nuke

NO! DON'T GET THE DLL FROM GITHUB! THERE IS A HORRIBLE NULLREFERENCEEXCEPTION BUG!

Let me continue work on it tonight, and THEN I will post a new .zip link.

EDIT: IGNORE ME! The DLL is just fine, it was someone else's mod that was causing my NREs

New .zip posted; anyone who wants to make integrated pod RCS should now be able to do so.

New .zip posted; anyone who wants to make integrated pod RCS should now be able to do so.

Tried 0.3 last night, works great. Thank you, this functionality has been sorely missed UNTIL NOW!!!

BTW, your OP download link while correct, the hyperlink tag isn't set up correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Would that be possible to make the RCS tweakable in a similar way to control surfaces? Sometimes you don't want a block to respond to a specific type of input even though it could, in theory, do that. For instance, the Soyuz uses one set of RCS thrusters for translation and the other for rotation, and the Space Shuttle doesn't use it's forward RCS for roll control, only aft. It'd be nice to have it tweakable.

Would that be possible to make the RCS tweakable in a similar way to control surfaces? Sometimes you don't want a block to respond to a specific type of input even though it could, in theory, do that. For instance, the Soyuz uses one set of RCS thrusters for translation and the other for rotation, and the Space Shuttle doesn't use it's forward RCS for roll control, only aft. It'd be nice to have it tweakable.

Do want... and perhaps a minThrust for it too. Some RCS thrusters cannot adjust their thrust arbitrarily.

EDIT: This might result to RCS control oscillation though...

Edited by HoneyFox

• 3 weeks later...

the code that's in the OP isn't working for me. I pasted it into the RCSblock .cfg, and when I loaded the game and tested it, nothing happened. RCS was on, and there were no sounds, and they didn't even fire off. In the editor, right-clicking the part didn't cause the little additional info box to pop up too.

the code that's in the OP isn't working for me. I pasted it into the RCSblock .cfg, and when I loaded the game and tested it, nothing happened. RCS was on, and there were no sounds, and they didn't even fire off. In the editor, right-clicking the part didn't cause the little additional info box to pop up too.

How did you paste it? Did you delete everything in the *.cfg of RCSBlock and then paste, or just paste in addition too? What does your *.cfg file look like now?

How did you paste it? Did you delete everything in the *.cfg of RCSBlock and then paste, or just paste in addition too? What does your *.cfg file look like now?

I deleted everything in the cfg and replaced it with the cfg provided in the OP. It should work, but idk why it doesn't.

I have another suggestion. Allow an RCS block to perform a "0-burn" with as many nozzles as possible without exerting any force, to burn off excess fuel. Space Shuttle did that (and that's what I need it for), but it could be useful for spaceplanes in general, for COM control.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the example cfg in the OP and couldn't get it to work. Banged some rocks together until it did work and this is a working version of the example cfg.

PART
{

// --- general parameters ---
name = RCSBlock
module = Part
author = NovaSilisko

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
scale = 0.1

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_attach = 0.45212, -0.0105571, -0.0059382, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = fuelSystems
entryCost = 3400
cost = 450
category = Control
subcategory = 0
title = RV-105 RCS Thruster Block
manufacturer = STEADLER Engineering Corps
description = The recent discovery of a third law of physics made it possible for STEADLER Corps engineers to produce these small monopropellant thrusters, to help with attitude control and linear motion. Even though many Kerbal physicists still dispute the validity of this new law, studies show that the thrusters seem to work as advertised.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.05
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.001
minimum_drag = 0.001
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3600

PhysicsSignificance = 1

// --- rcs module parameters ---

EFFECTS
{
running
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_rocket_mini
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 0.2
pitch = 0.0 0.2
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
}
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_soft
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_explosion_low
volume = 0.1
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCSFX
thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
thrusterPower = 1

runningEffectName = running
flameoutEffectName = flameout
engageEffectName = engage
PROPELLANT
{
name = MonoPropellant
ratio = 1.0
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 260
key = 1 100
}
}

}

We are also working on a Hall Effect thruster using this plug-in but are having some difficulties determining the right way to implement the emissive. Right now the emissive is always active. Also in the wings is a quad Hall Effect thruster and we aren't sure how to tie the individual emissives to the different RCS ports. Any help is welcome.

BAwHe9xl.png

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = KRD_RCS_HallThruster_single
module = Part
author = Das Penguin and Orcmaul

// --- asset parameters ---
MODEL {
model=KerbalRocketDesign/RCS_HallThrusters/RCS_HallThruster_single
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
//scale = 0.001, 0.001, 0.001
//position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
}

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0 , 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = ionPropulsion
entryCost = 4200
cost = 1500
category = Control
subcategory = 0
title = Hall Effect Linear RCS Thruster
manufacturer = Kerbal Rocket Development
description = Ion Thruster blah blah blah RCS blah blah blah.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.05
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.001
minimum_drag = 0.001
angularDrag = 0.1
crashTolerance = 10
//breakingForce = 50
//breakingTorque = 50
maxTemp = 3400
fuelCrossFeed = True

PhysicsSignificance = 1

// --- rcs module parameters ---

EFFECTS
{
running
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_rocket_mini
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 0.2
pitch = 0.0 0.2
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
MODULE
{
name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
animationName = HallThruster_singleEmissive
dependOnEngineState = True
responseSpeed = 0.5
}
}
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_soft
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_explosion_low
volume = 0.1
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCSFX
thrusterTransformName = RCS_Thrust
useZaxis = true
thrusterPower = 0.1

runningEffectName = running
flameoutEffectName = flameout
engageEffectName = engage
PROPELLANT
{
name = XenonGas
ratio = 1.0
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = ElectricCharge
ratio = 10.0
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 2000
key = 1 100
}
}

}

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a little bit of an issue. I've recently decided to stop using realism overhaul as I just got too frustrated with the abnormal sizing system when it kept stopping me from using the parts that I wanted to used without them looking weird and overly small. Anyway, I've been trying to use at least some of the configs from RO so I can keep some of the feel of that mod with the stock sizing, which include the RCS configs. Unfortunately, this seems to have resulted in an inability of mechjeb, which I sadly rely on fairly heavily, to control the RCS thrusters, instead leading to endless oscillations of one variety or another. Is there any easy fix for this?

Have you tried using something w/ MechJeb and the stock ModuleRCS and experience the same thing? Then tried something w/o MechJeb on the craft instead relying upon stock SAS, and tried between stock ModuleRCS and ModuleRCSFX?

Have you tried using something w/ MechJeb and the stock ModuleRCS and experience the same thing? Then tried something w/o MechJeb on the craft instead relying upon stock SAS, and tried between stock ModuleRCS and ModuleRCSFX?

After a little more exploring based on your post, it looks like maybe the issue is specifically with the RLA Stockalike thrusters as with or without the configs, everything else seems to work just fine. I guess I'll take the question over there then...

EDIT: Correction, its only with the stock RV-105 from squad... Any ideas on where to go from here?

Edited by SpacedInvader

I've got a little bit of an issue. I've recently decided to stop using realism overhaul as I just got too frustrated with the abnormal sizing system when it kept stopping me from using the parts that I wanted to used without them looking weird and overly small. Anyway, I've been trying to use at least some of the configs from RO so I can keep some of the feel of that mod with the stock sizing, which include the RCS configs. Unfortunately, this seems to have resulted in an inability of mechjeb, which I sadly rely on fairly heavily, to control the RCS thrusters, instead leading to endless oscillations of one variety or another. Is there any easy fix for this?

That also started happening to me randomly with mechjeb - but it happened before I installed this mod, and even when only having reaction wheels

There is a good point...do you have your reaction wheels on as well, since you removed RO, your reaction wheel strength is likely back to way more than it should be.

That said, have you tried w/ and w/o MechJeb, personally I think it's pointing, either via RCS or reaction wheels is not very kind. Best idea is to 'turn down' the strength by hitting the CAPS LOCK key. There is a technical term for it, but I hope you get my point.

There is a good point...do you have your reaction wheels on as well, since you removed RO, your reaction wheel strength is likely back to way more than it should be.

That said, have you tried w/ and w/o MechJeb, personally I think it's pointing, either via RCS or reaction wheels is not very kind. Best idea is to 'turn down' the strength by hitting the CAPS LOCK key. There is a technical term for it, but I hope you get my point.

I edited my own versions of the configs to leave the reaction wheels at their RO settings (mostly gone or just a fraction of their former strength) so that I could keep things like the offset CoM for the Mk1-2 pod for reentries, so I don't think that's an issue. As I've said, using stock SAS works fine, it's just mechjeb that is having trouble, basically, I can turn to prograde and turn on SAS and it does hold, but if I want to use MJ to keep an orientation relative to the surface or to execute a 15m burn, it goes all kooky. What has me the most confused right now is that this is really only applying to the stock thruster blocks. Every other RCS thruster available works just fine, with or without the RO configs.

EDIT: I guess the easy answer in the short term it just not to use the stock blocks, as the RLA plus models are almost identical anyway, but it still leaves the question of why. I should also mention that I'm also having trouble controlling rockets on ascent, as they are suddenly quite squirrely as they reach max stage TWR. Again this only happens with mechjeb and not stock SAS. I've asked about it in the MJ thread, but getting help there is almost impossible.

Edited by SpacedInvader

No, this is a mechjeb problem - even on vehicles that only have reaction wheels from launch, they function fine on manual, and on SAS, but mechjeb's SMART SAS goes crazy, and swings the ship all over the place; instead of, for example: holding to prograde. As this was occurring before I installed this plugin, I believe that it is a bug in the current mechjeb release, and not relevant here at all.

No, this is a mechjeb problem - even on vehicles that only have reaction wheels from launch, they function fine on manual, and on SAS, but mechjeb's SMART SAS goes crazy, and swings the ship all over the place; instead of, for example: holding to prograde. As this was occurring before I installed this plugin, I believe that it is a bug in the current mechjeb release, and not relevant here at all.

Yeah, was my thinking, and I've noticed this too, hadn't spent the time to investigate it fully though.