[wip] 0.23.5 A-E.V.A (Actual Extra vehicle Activity)

Eggman360

[WIP] (0.23.5) A-EVA (Actual Extra vehicle Activity)

The goal of "A-EVA" is to make EVA's actually involve activities!

The vision I have is a mod with item crafting, resource collection (using other mod's resources such as ExPLP minerals and ore, or even MKS resources to aid cross-mod functionality.

Want to craft a KAS-compatable part such as a solar panel? Then you'd need to grab a "Kerbal-Kit" back-pack, fill it with rocket parts, electronics and maybe a bit of scrap, then using those parts it could be crafted through a GUI, then you'd then have a solar panel "stored" inside the backpack (like a KAS container), but only one item can be stored at once, and items could even be broken down at a slight loss by adding them to the back-pack. (Maybe just into an amount of scrap which may lead to recycling functionality).

I have a lot of hope and many many ideas where I'd like this to go, and any help would be appreciated with coding, models and even just ideas, I want this to be community owned and driven, not just done by me but done by a team, splitting responsibility and finding each other's strengths and making a mod together, this is my vision, now let's make it real :)

lol, as a starter I've made an abomination between Kethane, Extra-Planetary Launch-Pads and a helping of KAS to create...this!!

Mwahahaha! (BahamutoD'S Models, permission granted)

w5jQyIl.png

The part contains its own battery and a small Kethane Tank

If I can secure permission to actually release from the authors of KAS and Kethane I'll release this and also a drill for Extra-Planetary Launch-Pads and even MKS resources :D

Any thoughts or interest, feedback or suggestions feel free to post :)

Edited by Eggman360

Mining isn't really "activity", more like "sitting around". Anyway, good luck getting permission to use those Kethane parts, hopefully you can do it all with ModuleManager scripts and save yourself some trouble.

KAS integration is simple and you don't need to really seek permission to do it (although it wouldn't hurt) - it's just a matter of adding a KASModuleGrab to various parts in their cfg. Kethane is a different matter because that's a rescaled and edited model of Majir's drill so you would need permission to do that (or you could just do it via ModuleManager configs i.e rescale factor, adding in mini tanks and electric charge etc etc and I don't think you'd need permission to do that either but again, it wouldn't hurt EDIT: nija'd by regex, confirmed what I though - it's all entirely possible with MM cfgs and likely no permission would be needed).

Either way, that drill is ridiculously adorable.

Oh the part is already built and works great in game, the part is quite slow but that's the idea, I just feel EVA has very little "fleshed out" content, I just felt bored and this took less than half an hour to knock together and get working :)

The main reasoning behind this was for other mods such as MKS, where you need to mine water and other materials, so I figured I'd just like a part I can chuck in the back of a rover, drive out somewhere and actually use a Kerbal for things in EVA instead of just using drones or rovers, plus this still works on probes, its just smaller and lighter, which I personally think even the smallest Kethane mod's drill is still heavy and cumbersome, a smaller one would be great too :)

Either way, that drill is ridiculously adorable.

When I first made it I messed up with scale, at first it was smaller than the tiny RCS ports on the Kerbal's jet pack :P lol

Edited by Eggman360

My main issue is that Majir's inbox is full, so they can't be PM'd, so I'm just going to have to post on his/her thread and hope the message is passed on :P lol

I tried using the Stock smaller extendable ladder but I couldn't manage to get the part to mine because even when the ladder was extended it didn't "mine" because it seems there was no "terrain interaction" (as the Kethane parts seem to mine as soon as the drill bit hits the ground :/, the ladder didn't do that even when fully extended and clipped through the ground.

Edited by Eggman360

I have a recommendation. At the moment your just mining... If you want to make it more realistic to Apollo missions, then I have ideas...

For one, we can only walk, take surface samples, and (now) mine for materials! Apollo 12 landed near a surveyor probe and took the camera from it to see the long term effects on machines. We need something like that! Just add a KAS type thing, we're Kerbs can carry stuff, but they can carry small 'cameras' or 'materials' etc back to Kerbin! That's more realistic than LANDING and THEN taking readings from a pot of unknown origin!

Etc etc.

Also, next idea... This is gonna be a lot of work, but integrate this idea with the career system and have it where (this mod may already exist) when you EVA from a spacecraft prior to unlocking the 'permission' to use it, you EVA out of the spacecraft, without a pack AND on an umbical similar to Gemini 4. Maybe add a maneuvering gun too, that's what Ed had during the mission. Maybe you could set the 'permission' up so that you have to EQUIP (again KAS here... Slightly) the EMU (that's what HUMANS use). Because during Gemini they had a EMU up with them, but by the time they got to it, they were too tired from flailing around TO GET THERE, so NASA scrubbed it. So have it where, you can place a EMU radial in the VAB, then you EVA, and crawl on ladders or something to get to it. Then you right click and click 'equip' and BAM, back to the original KSP EVA style! This idea will help (some) as the game doesn't calculate for the weight of a EMU. They're pretty heavy and it would help to have them be accounted for on the launch vehicle.

I've gotten off point, but these ARE suggestions. I also may have asked for you to add what another mod does, but as of this moment, I am unaware of any such mods. So please inform me if such a mod for anything I have mentioned exists...

Edit: Is that the SCP logo on his backpack? That little circle with arrows going in?

Edited by ZooNamedGames

I have a recommendation. At the moment your just mining... If you want to make it more realistic to Apollo missions, then I have ideas...

So far this is just a proof of concept sort of "demo" to see if there is demand or interest in this project :P lol

For one, we can only walk, take surface samples, and (now) mine for materials! Apollo 12 landed near a surveyor probe and took the camera from it to see the long term effects on machines. We need something like that! Just add a KAS type thing, we're Kerbs can carry stuff, but they can carry small 'cameras' or 'materials' etc back to Kerbin! That's more realistic than LANDING and THEN taking readings from a pot of unknown origin!

Just to be clear this (for starters) will simply be a bolt-on style mod that uses exsisting mods' individual features and gels them together, like the KAS/Kethane cross pictured, once I have a respectable framework I can expand and make totally original parts, I DO plan on making many different science modules, utilities and I'm even looking into a way to construct a backpack "rig" style part that say you grab this rig, and use the KAS "Attach" function to a rig part while it is on a Kerbal's back, so that several small items can be carried at once without using a KAS container, the idea is that the parts are loaded in the game and can be right clicked and used instead of unpacking a KAS container.

Also, next idea... This is gonna be a lot of work, but integrate this idea with the career system and have it where (this mod may already exist) when you EVA from a spacecraft prior to unlocking the 'permission' to use it, you EVA out of the spacecraft, without a pack AND on an umbical similar to Gemini 4. Maybe add a maneuvering gun too, that's what Ed had during the mission. Maybe you could set the 'permission' up so that you have to EQUIP (again KAS here... Slightly) the EMU (that's what HUMANS use). Because during Gemini they had a EMU up with them, but by the time they got to it, they were too tired from flailing around TO GET THERE, so NASA scrubbed it. So have it where, you can place a EMU radial in the VAB, then you EVA, and crawl on ladders or something to get to it. Then you right click and click 'equip' and BAM, back to the original KSP EVA style! This idea will help (some) as the game doesn't calculate for the weight of a EMU. They're pretty heavy and it would help to have them be accounted for on the launch vehicle.

to be 100% honest I'm not sure what you mean by permission, unless you mean only allow parts if certain "logics" are true, such as if a Kerbal doesn't have the EMU he can't use something? Or do you mean the "Rig" idea like above?

The Grapple gun would be easy to use a resized KAS winch and rotate the way it faces (to fire forwards), hell I'll even look into Infernal robotics and see how well KAS and IR meld together :D

I've gotten off point, but these ARE suggestions. I also may have asked for you to add what another mod does, but as of this moment, I am unaware of any such mods. So please inform me if such a mod for anything I have mentioned exists...

I'll look into these suggestions and see if other mods do add that, if you're referring to basically taking the "science" from parts and leaving a husk behind "like original KSP goo tank style" then that sort of thing is clearly do-able.

Edit: Is that the SCP logo on his backpack? That little circle with arrows going in?

Its just the part model from the Kethane mod so it could well be, I honestly don't know :) lol

Not sure if majiir allows editing of kethane parts through resizing, adding anything, module manager, even if you ask for permission.

Damn, well I guess I could go for the ExtraPlanetary Launchpads drill, i'll knock one together and post a pic, this will be a good Time trial I guess? :P

Time me xD

Not sure if majiir allows editing of kethane parts through resizing, adding anything, module manager, even if you ask for permission.

Majiir doesn't give permission for distributing his models in any way shape or form. If you do it thru Module manager entirely there's nothing he can say though, but you absolutely have to do it with module manager only you CAN NOT under any circumstances distribute his models or textures.

Well, you can give it a shot. I'm not really sure with what I said, there's no harm in trying, just wanted to warn you.
Majiir doesn't give permission for distributing his models in any way shape or form. If you do it thru Module manager entirely there's nothing he can say though, but you absolutely have to do it with module manager only you CAN NOT under any circumstances distribute his models or textures.

I've asked but waiting to hear back, worst case i'll just use another model, I'm currently under a self set time trial to make another part with a new model :P KSP is loading up as I type :P lol

TickTock! :P

Afaik, Colonization mod got a violation and was never released formally again, Psyper's Kethane+ needed his own models for adding stuff that uses Kethane. So if I am right, only the API of Kethane is possible to use. Majiir's a little bit strict.

Kolonisation is back up and running :S

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/72706-WIP-0-23-5-Modular-Kolonization-System-v0-14-1-(ALPHA)-04-19-2014

Yep, I'm pretty sure he's using MM cfg's only though, you have to have Kethane installed separately to get the models, etc. and he's just adding his resources to the kethane equipment via MM cfgs.

Yep, I'm pretty sure he's using MM cfg's only though, you have to have Kethane installed separately to get the models, etc. and he's just adding his resources to the kethane equipment via MM cfgs.

Ah ok, adding the module functions to my parts is easy (but I get that MM is used to stop me shamelessly stealing the functionality) but what I really need are models, I've never even tried making a model let alone one that moves lol.

I'm picturing all sorts of little carryable rigs like theodolites, cameras on tripods, weather stations and so forth, which can be setup on the ground for use or operated while being carried (depending on what they do).

...but what I really need are models, I've never even tried making a model let alone one that moves lol.

Talk to Dmagic. This is exactly the sort of stuff you're after.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-4-%281-11-14%29

Edited by colmo

lol not that, "colonization" somewhere it was in the release section back then, he didnt ask for permissions and bam he's gone. Anyways, at least mm configs would work. best of luck.

lol not that, "colonization" somewhere it was in the release section back then, he didnt ask for permissions and bam he's gone. Anyways, at least mm configs would work. best of luck.

I might not need it :P lol

The Final Tweak, what do you guys think? :)

w5jQyIl.png

It clips a little but its better to clip than float free I feel :P lol

I'm picturing all sorts of little carryable rigs like theodolites, cameras on tripods, weather stations and so forth, which can be setup on the ground for use or operated while being carried (depending on what they do).

Talk to Dmagic. This is exactly the sort of stuff you're after.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-4-%281-11-14%29

ah yes, I love this mod pack, and all the little intricate moving parts are perfect, i'll be in contact with DMagic and see if we can strike a mutual understanding...why do things always sound seedy worded like that? haha :P

Yeah, like your grapple gun idea. Just something to work...

By 'permissions' is that it's a logic style unlock. You have to unlock the 'permission' from the RnD, then when it is researched, it writes in a .persistance file or something; that 'use EVA packs [enter] true'. Otherwise, it is 'false' and therefore not loaded and pre-equipped stock style.... Or you go all the way like I asked and try to have it attached to the side of the craft like a external command chair and use it like that...

Any more questions?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.