Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

I've stranded Kerbals on Duna, Eve, and Laythe with absolutely no plans on bringing them back. Technically Mun and Minmus as well, but they're so close to Kerbin that it almost doesn't matter.

I use reverts and quicksaves constantly. To the point where I've lost tons of Kerbals, but as far as Career mode knows, I haven't lost a single one.

I've never used mods and don't plan to. (Except maybe Kethane some day)

I'm in a love/hate relationship with orbital docking. I do it all by hand, even if it takes a couple dozen quicksaves and a few hours of frustration.

There has been a couple of times over the years where I ran out of fuel or knew I'd run out of fuel after investing hours and hours in to a mission. So I exited, edit the save file to refuel my ship and continued playing.

I haven't done this in ages. Generally I just send a fuel tanker if I botch my design/manuevering and run out of fuel. Sometimes though when you've invested a dozen hours in a mission, it is just too much to give up because you ended up with 100m/sec too little dV on your Moho and back run.

I don't know how mechjeb works

Most missions take to much time for me, so I keep doing short things with success feelings like building a mun base :S

I get easily demotivated and stop playing for a while :( mostly because my time is limited :/

I forgot that 'landing' an asteroid meant on the ground and not in the water.

10k delta/v through a two year mission right-o in the water.

On my second asteroid it tipped over and the part that hit the ground first was the probe core and it blew up. Now I had an asteroid on the ground but it was not a working vessel anymore, thus the requirements for the contracts still could not be fulfilled. It landed on the opposite side of Kerbin from the KSC. Worse was that the rock was sitting in a skewed valley in a mountain range. Now I had to fly all the way around Kerbin, get into the valley with an airplane (I don't use rockets to reach points around Kerbin, by principle) land there (in one piece), connect to the chute-boom still linked to the asteroid and then hope the contract didn't bug. First airplane blew up (the kerbal survived), second one lost a landing gear and was JUST too far away for me to connect a pipe between the craft and the chute-boom (I had forgotten to bring middlemen KAS box things). Third one was the charm.

Some well earned 300 science.

P.S. In all, my sin is that I'm bad at planing.

Edited by Axelord FTW

I transfered to Minmus as i normally do. Saved the game. Done other stuff, game crashed (3.7gb ram footprint). Ive reloaded my save just to find my craft with Bob onboard on a interplanetary trajectory that i cant fix. Ive downloaded Hyperedit, returned Bob to the nearest spacestation, deleted that jinxed craft and forgot that it happend at all. Not really my fault, but thats at least half a sin ;)

My 'latest build' game was at the point of a manned mission to the Mun, spent all of yesterday calculating everything and putting it all together..launched, landed, did the flag planting and rock collecting, lifted off, went to marry up for the trip home...and moved to dock the command module with the lander module, and promptly ploughed them both into each other at some unholy velocity...Very spectactular explosion. Still trying to figure out what happened there...

I confess I have begun experimenting with VTOL SSTO "rockets" powered by large numbers of jets. Complete with jets firing for landing ... at high subsonic speeds ... tail-first, inlets in the vehicle's wake. And I am an aerospace engineer by profession, so I know what a terribly-unrealistic abuse of physics that is.

But I am seduced by the prospect of delivering a full orange tank to LKO with a completely-reusable, low-part-count vehicle at a total cost of around 6 tons LF, 2 tons O, so I do it anyway.

I use mechjeb to do rendezvouses. I know I COULD do it myself, but can't be bothered to deal with the waiting.

My missions snowball. My Duna mission is a fine example. Sent up two kerbals, didn't have enough fuel to get home. Sent more fuel and a station. Didn't have enough fuel to get home, so I sent more fuel and a Kethane miner and refinery. I was in the process of filling it up when a new version came out and I restarted.

I'm a pretty big fan of landing on the Mun without doing any orbiting whatsoever. Just wait for the Mun to be in the right spot (45 degrees to the right) and fly straight to it. I learned how to do this before I learned how to do things like establish orbit or perform a rollover before during ascent, but there was no place else to go so it didn't matter for a long time.

I still do this sometimes to save time (I used to do it for minmus too, but now I find going there from orbit is simpler).

I have played more than 700 hours of KSP and never been even close to Moho. I also took only two trips to Jool and it's moons, crash landed on Tylo, thinking it would be a regular low-gravity moon, stranded a Kerbal and never cared to come back.

I have spent dozens, dozens of hours designing Eve ascending vehicles, made several time consuming missions including orbital refueling and sending return vehicles in advance, still not one Kerbal made it back home. Some died during the landing on Eve, some died on the ascent (and premature gravity turns), some died after a successful ascent, only to find out the pod hat too low delta v to actually get into a stable orbit. It's still my number one priority in KSP to complete that mission some day, although I don't bother with it at the moment (also FAR and deadly reentry made it even harder after I installed them several months ago).

Sometimes, when I .... up landings on other planets, I spend hours designing fancy rescue vehicles only to never launch the actual missions.

I secretly hate people using hyper edit, infinite fuel and mech jeb.

It bothers me when people build stuff only for the looks of it and use too many parts that serve no purpose.

Edited by DepletedUraniumPenetrator

Lets see, ive sent a refueling vessel to my space station... in a retograde orbit. Also, ive put a satellite in a 0 degree orbit, while i was aiming for 90 degrees.

Last but not least, ive sent a mun mission with the perfect amount of delta v, all calculated by hand... witout accounting for the return. Wich led to the second biggest sin ever, a rescue mission.

I spent an entire week (at work mind you) designing & constructing sub assemblies and launching and docking pods for my K.S.S (Kerbal Space Station... I know, real original) project. About 30 launches into the project something went wrong and the station exploded killing all 6 Kerbalnauts. There was an investigation and I covered up the truth and blamed it on subcontractors... well okay maybe that last part didn't happen but the playing for a week at work and the explosion of my station really did happen. In fact, everyone at my office thought I was really bust all that week, it was awesome.

I'm sure this one's in here somewhere already, but even after all this time playing KSP, I still zone out from time to time and burn prograde where I meant to burn retrograde, or vice versa. Most of the time I catch it as soon as I notice my orbit going wonky or my speed going the wrong way. I can just hear the poor Kerbal inside the cockpit....

"For the love of Gene! He did it again!!"

I have spent dozens, dozens of hours designing Eve ascending vehicles, made several time consuming missions including orbital refueling and sending return vehicles in advance, still not one Kerbal made it back home. Some died during the landing on Eve, some died on the ascent (and premature gravity turns), some died after a successful ascent, only to find out the pod hat too low delta v to actually get into a stable orbit. It's still my number one priority in KSP to complete that mission some day, although I don't bother with it at the moment (also FAR and deadly reentry made it even harder after I installed them several months ago).

Dude, it took me literally weeks of design and testing to perfect my Eve return vehicle, Eve is a hellmouth. A pretty one, but a hellmouth nonetheless. I used countless "simulations" (read: hyperedit, quicksaves and reverting) to try and get a lander with hardened pod, as light as possible, that could make it from sea level to orbit. Eventually it came back at 160 tons and I could reliably make a 100km orbit from sea level, but I don't use FAR or DRE.

After I perfected the lander, I never flew the actual mission though. And then when I did a fresh re-install at the start of 0.25 it got deleted...

Ah well, I still remember the main principles behind it, and I think that with the current new parts (it was built in 0.23) I might be able to make a better one.

So yeah, Eve is very, very hard especially with DRE (dunno if FAR mikes it harder or easier. Probably easier on the ascent but harder on the descent).

I keep using "non-console part clipping" where you just quickly put a part on and off an attachment node and click when it is on said node till it places on the craft

I keep delaying a "lander to the moon" mission when the lander is in orbit around kerbin to the mun till "tommorow"

I build spaceplanes and keep scrapping them because they are too slow for my standards

My probe got to Moho before I realised the RemoteTech antenna on it was targeted at Mission Control instead of a satellite with long enough range to talk to it :(

Also I build rovers with faces, then feel guilty when I don't bring them home x(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.