Nothing to see here... keep moving.

Llorx

Forum post makes sense; I was actually thinking github.

Yep. Any site that supports plain txt. Also, maybe it can be zipped and when the Manager unzips it check if has a txt file with a modlist. This way can be any site that the Manager supports.

Hmmm... I think that I have something for this then. With Korb Biakustra's idea (Looking for forum edits) and then looking for files with zip extension in the main post we can follow forum mod updates. If finds 2 or more zip files will ask the user what files download and install.

Thank you for the info!

--

Also another bad thing is that for remotely hosting a file so clients get your updates we need a service provider, and I don't want to create a server just for this.

Sounds good :)

Re: server hosting vs forum - this forum is prone to spells of blacking out, some predictable, some not. For instance every night/morning at 12:49 Central US time, the forum's host dies and returns "Bad gateway" for up to 10 minutes; so having the software rely too much on the forum could be problematic. As an alternative, you might talk to Majiir as he has an offer out to host a mod repo site should anyone create one, he might extend it to this sort of thing too; Check it out here if you haven't already: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71133-Community-Mod-Repository-and-The-Majiir-Challenge

Sounds good :)

Re: server hosting vs forum - this forum is prone to spells of blacking out, some predictable, some not. For instance every night/morning at 12:49 Central US time, the forum's host dies and returns "Bad gateway" for up to 10 minutes; so having the software rely too much on the forum could be problematic. As an alternative, you might talk to Majiir as he has an offer out to host a mod repo site should anyone create one, he might extend it to this sort of thing too; Check it out here if you haven't already: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71133-Community-Mod-Repository-and-The-Majiir-Challenge

Wow, I was not aware of that. That's good and I searched a bit the posts and they are talking about a JSON api, perfect for fetching mods info with low bandwith usage. When I finish the modlist feature I'll ask for a space on the site, maybe I get lucky xD

Thank you!

EDIT: Also they are talking about a post feature, so modders can post files directly to the site. Maybe I don't need to ask and simply each modlist can be zipped and posted automatically, for users to download. Let's see how that project develops.

Edited by Llorx

auto-detecting KSP installed via steam would be nice (well, at least on Linux)

creating a clean install via copying only stock files to a specified folder would be grand too

Just today while I was testing and had to delete multiple times the config file noticed that autodetecting KSP will be fine. Going to add it.

I don't get what you mean with clean install. Can you explain it a bit more?

Thank you!

I think he means copying KSP to another location from the current installation, but only with stock files so that the copied version will be unmodded.

Well, Llorx, I've thoroughly thought about it, and brainstrormed with myself, and myself and me agreed: I can't wait anymore. Shut up, and take my money for the download link.

I think he means copying KSP to another location from the current installation, but only with stock files so that the copied version will be unmodded.

Well, Llorx, I've thoroughly thought about it, and brainstrormed with myself, and myself and me agreed: I can't wait anymore. Shut up, and take my money for the download link.

I don't see the point of that, but well, is easy to do so maybe I cann do it if people wants it.

The download link is going to be ready after this weekend. I can't give it out right now because I'm still working in the link parser, you will get some errors. For example, I've made a mediafire downloader, but after many downloads mediafire asks for a captcha and that breaks autodownloading, so I have to think a workaround. I think that I have an idea, but I have to implement and test it.

I don't see the point of that, but well, is easy to do so maybe I cann do it if people wants it.

Avoiding redownloading the game to have a "clean" install, I think (?), so that clean installs can be generated quickly and easily (you wouldn't have to permanently keep two installations: your main, and if you need a stock installation, just ask the application and voilà, 30 sec later you have it). Could be useful, though from your to-do list there are also a lof of useful things coming first in my mind.

The download link is going to be ready after this weekend. I can't give it out right now because I'm still working in the link parser, you will get some errors. For example, I've made a mediafire downloader, but after many downloads mediafire asks for a captcha and that breaks autodownloading, so I have to think a workaround. I think that I have an idea, but I have to implement and test it.

Great news, apart from the captcha, unless your idea solves the issue! I'm eagerly looking forward to trying your application, and I am grateful you spend time in that project. There is definitely a need for that kind of intelligent managers, I hope you'll maintain it for a long time!

Edited by Korb Biakustra

yes persistence files are save games. often a save will break in ways not foreseen so you need backups of your file to fix those problems before installing the mod.

Ok, added to the list. Thank you!

Avoiding redownloading the game to have a "clean" install, I think (?), so that clean installs can be generated quickly and easily (you wouldn't have to permanently keep two installations: your main, and if you need a stock installation, just ask the application and voilà, 30 sec later you have it). Could be useful, though from your to-do list there are also a lof of useful things coming first in my mind.

Great news, apart from the captcha, unless your idea solves the issue! I'm eagerly looking forward to trying your application, and I am grateful you spend time in that project. There is definitely a need for that kind of intelligent managers, I hope you'll maintain it for a long time!

Oh, that's not going to be a problem. Because of the 'intelligent-overwritten-files-backup', when you uninstall all the mods that modified the stock folder it is going to revert 100% to its original state.

The backup system will be this way:

When a mod overwrite a file, a backup with a timestamp will be saved. So let's say 2 mods modify the same file, then backups with timestams will be this way:

1- Stock file modified by mod1: mod1 will save a backup of the stock files modified.

2- then installing mod2 modifies the same stock file, but now is not a stock file, because it was overwritten with mod1: mod2 saves a backup of mod1 files.

Now you uninstall mod2, it will restore the backup files that he has (mod1 files). And if you later uninstall mod1, it will restore stock files.

But let's say that you uninstall mod1 first. It will see that he has a backup of some files, but will notice that there was a mod (mod2) that installed the same files later. Mod1 backup is not restored because mod2 is still installed and restoring those files will break mod2. This way, after uninstalling mod1, mod2 have backups of mod1, so when mod2 uninstalls it can't backup the files because the files are from mod1 and is not installed... because of that, when mod1 uninstalls it will replace his backup files with mod2 backup, so now mod2 has stock backup instead of mod1 backup files. Now if you uninstall mod2, stock backup files will be restored.

This will be recursive and individual for each file so will support infinite number of mods modifying different files.

And thank you for your words xD

Edited by Llorx

snip

Clean install (in my case at least) will be needed to create another copy with a different modset/for in-dev mod testing/etc

I understand that it's a really lazy thing people do maybe two or three times per KSP release and well, it's not as important as most things mentioned above but I'll be really grateful if you make this :)

The backup system will be this way:

When a mod overwrite a file, a backup with a timestamp will be saved. So let's say 2 mods modify the same file, then backups with timestams will be this way:

1- Stock file modified by mod1: mod1 will save a backup of the stock files modified.

2- then installing mod2 modifies the same stock file, but now is not a stock file, because it was overwritten with mod1: mod2 saves a backup of mod1 files.

Now you uninstall mod2, it will restore the backup files that he has (mod1 files). And if you later uninstall mod1, it will restore stock files.

But let's say that you uninstall mod1 first. It will see that he has a backup of some files, but will notice that there was a mod (mod2) that installed the same files later. Mod1 backup is not restored because mod2 is still installed and restoring those files will break mod2. This way, after uninstalling mod1, mod2 have backups of mod1, so when mod2 uninstalls it can't backup the files because the files are from mod1 and is not installed... because of that, when mod1 uninstalls it will replace his backup files with mod2 backup, so now mod2 has stock backup instead of mod1 backup files. Now if you uninstall mod2, stock backup files will be restored.

It sounds very solid! What happens if mod 1 and 2 require to be installed in 1 -> 2 order, and afterwards you uninstall mod 1 while mod 2 is still there, and then reinstall mod 1 because you miss it? This example is a bit twisted though, as if mod 1 and 2 need to be installed in sequence, you have no reason of uninstalling mod 1 (unless you forgot it is required for mod 2, and then want to reinstall it after). Reinstalling both would work and create the right backups, but will the application warn the user that mod 1 and 2 alter the same stock files and so, may be related?

We need that "priority rank" feature! :D

Edited by Korb Biakustra

Clean install (in my case at least) will be needed to create another copy with a different modset/for in-dev mod testing/etc

I understand that it's a really lazy thing people do maybe two or three times per KSP release and well, it's not as important as most things mentioned above but I'll be really grateful if you make this :)

I'll look into that. Only making a copy of GameData and savegames will work isn't it? I can add under the same category as savegame backup.

It sounds very solid! What happens if mod 1 and 2 require to be installed in 1 -> 2 order, and afterwards you uninstall mod 1 while mod 2 is still there, and then reinstall mod 1 because you miss it? This example is a bit twisted though, as if mod 1 and 2 need to be installed in sequence, you have no reason of uninstalling mod 1 (unless you forgot it is required for mod 2, and then want to reinstall it after). Reinstalling both would work and create the right backups, but will the application warn the user that mod 1 and 2 alter the same stock files and so, may be related?

We need that "priority rank" feature! :D

Don't thought about that.

The modlist feature will have priority rank by obligation. Maybe the main list will have priority rank too by simply dragging the elements up and down. The 'intelligent-backup-of-overwrittten-files' will check if a file that is going to be overwirtten was overwritten by any other mod before, will compare ranks and prepare backups accordingly. Thank you for you appointment.

I'll look into that. Only making a copy of GameData and savegames will work isn't it? I can add under the same category as savegame backup.

Well, GameData's stock files (i.e. Squad and NASA folders, and all the modifications made to them via mods reversed) and the purged Ships folder, along with executable (on Linux it is frequently patched) and all the unity's junk.

Edited by Queril

If you still have room (time) for an extra feature i would like to suggest an option to remove all installed parts that are not used in any craft,savefile or persistence file. It will prevent accidental removal of (needed) parts while keeping the memory overhead as low as possible.

Well, GameData's stock files (i.e. Squad and NASA folders, and all the modifications made to them via mods reversed) and the purged Ships folder, along with executable (on Linux it is frequently patched) and all the unity's junk.

Ok, added to the feature list.

If you still have room (time) for an extra feature i would like to suggest an option to remove all installed parts that are not used in any craft,savefile or persistence file. It will prevent accidental removal of (needed) parts while keeping the memory overhead as low as possible.

Not bad, but currently I'm not going to develop that, I have a really big feature list focused in Mod Managing and that feature is more performance-like. Btw when I finish the Manager maybe I add a 'performance' tab or something. Thank you for the idea!

Maybe if there's someone supporting any performance booster for KSP you can suggest that to him, surely he will like it, is a good idea.

Edited by Llorx

Not bad, but currently I'm not going to develop that, I have a really big feature list focused in Mod Managing and that feature is more performance-like. Btw when I finish the Manager maybe I add a 'performance' tab or something. Thank you for the idea!

Maybe if there's someone supporting any performance booster for KSP you can suggest that to him, surely he will like it, is a good idea.

That's regrettable because performance is probably one of the main reasons for using a mod manager.

That's regrettable because performance is probably one of the main reasons for using a mod manager.

I always thought that the main function of a mod manager is managing mods xD

Btw, well, cleaning a mod 'can' be put under managing category. Cleaning mods has a bit of work and at first I want to focus in version managing. When the manager can be fully used to control versions, then maybe I'll add the option to clean mods. The idea is not bad so I'm going to add a new section 'probable future updates' just to add it.

I would like something that detects already installed mods. i.e I don't want to have to tell it what mods I have installed already.

Sorry but that's impossible. Impossible to detect them and also impossible altough you tell it what mods you have currently installed. A mod is a zipped file with barely (or any) information of what mod is and, of course, any info file of what files the mod has. Normally the mods are under a folder, but some times mods merge with other mods or have multiple folders, so the only way for the Mod manager of knowing what mod do you have installed and knowing what files were installed is to actually install them via the Mod Manager, so this way the Mod Manager will keep track of each copied file and each overwritten file. If you install mod manually by extracting the files with Winrar, the Mod Manager won't notice it.

The idea is not bad, but currently unfeasible. Thank you and sorry.

Edited by Llorx

I know it's a little late, but can I be a private tester?

Not late. Just changed it to PRIVATE xD

Going to send you a copy, but please, read the main post, I'm not responsible of any problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.