How do you feel about people willing to give up everything for a 1 way trip to mars?

Bearsh

My mom was watching the news yesterday night, And something caught my attention (For once something of the news isn't boring) It was that people are willing to give up everything for a 1 way trip to mars! Now don't get me wrong i'd love to go to mars, But not give up anything. But these people are guess what? They would give up they're family and everything. Now that's a bit messed up. So how do you feel about this? Would you give up everything?

Explorers 500(ish) years ago left not even knowing what they'd find, and I doubt many of them expected to come back. A trip to Mars isn't socially any farther away now than a cross-country move was 50 years ago, or a cross-ocean trip 100 years ago, if you ignore the one-way aspect of the trip. They can still send letters and record video to keep in touch. They could make money filming what they do and televising it (Or putting it on YouTube) and use that money to stream anything, TV, movies, sports... It'd not be that different from being the apartment-bound hermits that the Internet is turning a lot of people into right now.

Also, not everybody has a family to give up, or a house or anything like that.

Explorers 500(ish) years ago left not even knowing what they'd find, and I doubt many of them expected to come back. A trip to Mars isn't socially any farther away now than a cross-country move was 50 years ago, or a cross-ocean trip 100 years ago, if you ignore the one-way aspect of the trip. They can still send letters and record video to keep in touch. They could make money filming what they do and televising it (Or putting it on YouTube) and use that money to stream anything, TV, movies, sports... It'd not be that different from being the apartment-bound hermits that the Internet is turning a lot of people into right now.

Also, not everybody has a family to give up, or a house or anything like that.

I understand that, But it is really far, It's mars gosh dangit! Don't know how far, But a few lightyears from earth.

a few lightyears from earth.

No, just no.

It's not really that much, when you consider what people were doing two centuries or even one ago. Crossing the Atlantic to come to the US was a one way trip for most immigrants. They knew there was little chance that they would ever see the old country again. The best they could hope for was to make enough to bring their family across as well. As bad and as terrifying as it was, though, many people chose to make the trip.

No, just no.

It's not really that much, when you consider what people were doing two centuries or even one ago. Crossing the Atlantic to come to the US was a one way trip for most immigrants. They knew there was little chance that they would ever see the old country again. The best they could hope for was to make enough to bring their family across as well. As bad and as terrifying as it was, though, many people chose to make the trip.

I said it wasen't the most accurate statement in the universe lol.

But you make valid points, But I'm saying it's mars... As far as we know there's no way to make houses is there? Is there like wood or anything haha?

It'd be a bit sucky to live in your capsule forever.

But I'm saying it's mars... As far as we know there's no way to make houses is there? Is there like wood or anything haha?

It'd be a bit sucky to live in your capsule forever.

There's no technological barrier preventing it from being done.

Easy answer: Import everything needed from earth. Land a huge cache of supplies on Mars before you even consider sending a single human. The only limit is how much you are willing to spend to do it.

There's no technological barrier preventing it from being done.

Easy answer: Import everything needed from earth. Land a huge cache of supplies on Mars before you even consider sending a single human. The only limit is how much you are willing to spend to do it.

Well considering nasa's budget now... Is very slim of them sending a lot of supplies.

Why does everyone assume that governments are going to fund space flight to Mars ??? It will be some Mega corporation working with sponsors like Red Bull. Most likely paying for passage by selling 'adult content' over the web.

Why does everyone assume that governments are going to fund space flight to Mars ??? It will be some Mega corporation working with sponsors like Red Bull. Most likely paying for passage by selling 'adult content' over the web.

I don't really know what to say about that... :P

Why does everyone assume that governments are going to fund space flight to Mars ???

Because private companies do things for profits. Governments don't need to. And there's just no profit in going to Mars yet.

.......Most likely paying for passage by selling 'adult content' over the web.

I wouldn't be surprised, the adult industry is the single largest industry on the Earth, hell it's one of the reasons we have blu ray instead of hd DVD.

Well considering nasa's budget now... Is very slim of them sending a lot of supplies.

I don't think anyone should be trying to put a colony on mars unless we can build a self-sufficient biodome. Experimentation with that concept never should've stopped.

It's just too impractical to keep shipping supplies to a colony. In the long run you'll save tons if they can produce their own air and food indefinitely. Even more if they're able to harvest and purify the water there.

This group offering the "one way trip" is a private company, not NASA. Of course they haven't even designed a launch vehicle yet.

Of course I wouldn't do it, there's no internet on Mars.

Yeah probably spaceEX maybe, I don't exactly know all the space programs we have these days... The capsules they showed in the news report looked a bit like spaceEX capsules but I can't be to sure.

They would land in "Red Dragon" capsules, launched by F9H rockets That's a 1+ year trip inside a capsule, plus the rest of your life in the surface.

The project is called Mars One, just so you know.

Of course, they won't be able to buy so many Falcon 9 Heavy lifters and Red Dragon capsules from SpaceX, even by doing a TV series or whatever. It's way too expensive to be done without a government.

And their recruiting program is stupidly dumb. They simply make people from all around the world send them videos of why they should go to Mars. That's it!

The founder of Mars One is a nice guy that wants to put people on Mars, but he's not a "rocket scientist".

Of course I wouldn't do it, there's no internet on Mars.

Oh come on. you know that by the time people get there there'll be a Starbucks AND a McDonalds there.

More seriously, while the ping times will render any online gaming impossible, there are no bandwidth reasons why the colonists couldn't get streaming video, downloadable games and DLC, and anything else most everybody uses the Internet for.

No. You don't send human beings into space without a way to get them home. Period.

I mean c'mon think about it. It's a sanity factor. What if there's an accident? Life support for the entire colony gets wiped out by a dust storm. Gotta go home. Honestly would YOU take a one way trip to Mars knowing that if something happens.. your done. Your great exploitive aspirations are cut down by a natural or mechanical failure. No. Humans on Mars must have a way to bug out as fast as possible. Like the Soyuz being constantly docked to the ISS. Sitting there ready for the worst. Ready to take our people home.

Mars One my *** that crap will never happen. NASA will put people on Mars and they'll do it right. One way trips are beyond suicide. It's just plain stupid. I applaud anyone willing to go on a one way trip, but no one's going to be clapping when an accident occurs and the Astronauts are stranded with no way to get back.

Honestly would YOU take a one way trip to Mars knowing that if something happens.. your done.

I could get hit by a truck walking out to check the mail.

...no one's going to be clapping when an accident occurs and the Astronauts are stranded with no way to get back.

What are the chances the astronauts would be stranded with no way back on a one way mission? I'm guessing it's about 100%. If they go to stay, they know they're going to stay. History has shown that some people are fine with that.

What are the chances the astronauts would be stranded with no way back on a one way mission? I'm guessing it's about 100%. If they go to stay, they know they're going to stay. History has shown that some people are fine with that.

Indeed. Few expeditions would have happened if the explorers didn't accept the risks.

This really isn't so radically different from how things were done in the past. You're just dealing with new planets now instead of continents.

I could get hit by a truck walking out to check the mail.

Yes, but when you go to check your mail is the whole world watching? Is it a monumental first for humanity? If you got killed getting your mail is it going to set progress back for a decade?

History is history. When it took weeks and months for messages to travel to and from. That particular history happened on Earth. Not in space. We are talking about sending humans to another planet. And that does NOT equate to traveling to another continent a thousand years ago. We cannot screw this up. We cannot afford to kill human beings in space. It must. Not. Happen. If we can help it. The entire world will be watching every second. If we strand humans on Mars and there's an accident.. you can forget sending any more humans back for a long time.

A mission to Mars is far to precious to **** it up by not giving the explorers a way back home. A one way trip is a ridiculous, archaic notion that shouldn't even be considered. Especially this day and age.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.