Real men dock using solid fuel boosters: Dock two space craft using solid fuel only

A while back I saw someone say this: Real men dock with solid fuel boosters. I made a challenge out of that: dock one spacecraft to another spacecraft using only solid fuel as propulsion.

Bear with me until I get a space station in orbit. The post has been edited a fair bit.

The spacecraft you're docking to can't be controled after it's postitioned to a parking orbit/the ground. The spacecraft you're docking to musn't be a part of the spacecraft you are docking with (to avoid Kasuha's entry, seriously, I didn't have that in mind)

Scoring system: Stages correspond to points. If you have 100 stages, you get 100 points (15 points on Easy mode and 600 points on Hard mode)

Score multipliers:

Easy mode: Everything is on Kerbin and you use Hack Gravity, skipping the going into orbit and rendezvous. Final is 600% of your stage count (if you have 100 stages, you get 600 points)

Medium mode: Going into orbit using Liquid Fuel (No Hyperedit), redezvous and docking using solid fuel. Stage count=Score

Hard mode: Launch stage, rendezvous and docking must be performed only using solid fuel. Final score is 15% of your stage count (100 stages--15 points).

The player with the least amount of points wins.

Rules:

1. No mods

2. No editing stages while in flight

3. You must dock with the space station provided (soon).

Leaderboard:

This challenge is possible, I have tested it. I won't post my craft file because I want to see other people's entries.

(Hard mode is not that hard to be honest, I almost did it on my first go)

excuse my bad english, I am not a native speaker

Edited by tutrakan4e

This challenge is possible, I have tested it. I won't post my craft file because I want to see other people's entries.

Please post images. I see no reason why this shouldn't be possible, but proper demonstration will convince more potential participants.

First of all, no pics no clicks go for challenges too, as stated above.

Second, you don't really know how to use percents do you?

600% of 100 is 600

15% of 100 is 15

Third, docking on the ground is a lot harder than docking in space, easy mode would be hyperedit to orbit.

Hmmm I don't know Kasuha, the wording of Easy mode does suggest that only that mode takes place within Kerbins atmosphere and not in orbit.

It is a good attempt though.

In my opinion rules are contradictory because Easy, Medium, and Hard mode descriptions appear to assume something that's not among prior requirements. It's not much fun trying to figure out when I am breaking some unwritten rules and where I am still in the area of valid solutions. But I am reasonably sure I am not breaking rules at least for Easy mode, that's why I decided to post my entry and am leaving it up to OP to decide.

Sal, I don't think that was the point, that it rather was that you wouldn't need to lift it into orbit seeing as he said you could have hacked gravity.

It's not ruling out ground docking for easy mode, which makes sense if you think about it.

Kasuha, forum challenge rules are rarely so well written as to be totally unambiguous ;)

Actually, with a lot of docking experience, use of a large ship, good SAS stabilization, lots of tweaked seperatrons pairs to bring their thrust down to behave as a thruster, and tons of patience, the challenge appears possible.

It was sooo tempting to try this with solids only.

Unfortunately, even by using sepratrons pairs with the thrust set at the very minimum, it's still too much for a lightweight ship.

I managed to come within 10 meters of the target at 1-2 m/s relative speed - still not close enough :(

Ugh. Maybe I'll try again later with a heavier module.

bd79fb323256395.jpg

a91c71323256399.jpg

2bb242323256404.jpg

Also, OP, you should define how 'going to orbit' is different from 'rendenzvous' for using liquid fuel instead of solid only.

I am really sorry for all the confusion. yes, I did read the challenge submission guide. I realise that it's confusing and I am sorry for that. I just had the idea of pairs of sepatrons attatched to a decoupler bugging me and I wanted to see if people will realise that too. I'll lock the thread and come back later with a better formulated challenge.

( if somebody can lock this trad for me, please? )

Scoring system: Stages correspond to points. If you have 100 stages, you get 100 points (25 points on Easy mode and 400 points on Hard mode)

Score multipliers:

Easy mode: Everything is on Kerbin and you can use Hack Gravity, skipping the rendezvous in space. Final is 600% of your stage count (if you have 100 stages, you get 400 points)

Medium mode: Going into orbit using liquid fuel, redezvous and docking using solid fuel. Stage count=Score

Hard mode: Launch stage, rendezvous and docking must be performed only using solid fuel. Final score is 15% of your stage count (100 stages-->25 points).

I think your math needs some double checking. After all if 600% of 100 is 400 then you have redefined how % works. Your scoring system is allso directly oposite with the score multipliers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.