[0.23.5+] Science Library v1.2

SpiritOffice

is there a mod that makes it possible to perform EVA reports without going on EVA?

Don't like EVA's, eh? LOL. You don't actually have to let go of the vehicle. Click the Kerbal's EVA button.. Right-click and perform EVA Report while still clinging to the vehicle. Hit F key to reenter the vehicle.

Question: I have not seen anything posted as to this mod working with the .24 release. So I ask the obvious question. Does this mod work with version .24 and, if not will you be doing an update for it. I like this mod because it makes it easier for me to do experiments without wasteful trips to places that are already finished. Great mod, please keep it up.

I use KSP 64-bit 0.24 version. This mod works like a bloody charmer.

Edited by Apollo13

I am happy it works without need to rewrite.

Sorry for delay. I have too little time at the moment. But i think, i will find some time at weekend.

Sorting thease pages is not very helpful, because of different numbers for experiments and situations. Sorting experiments by ONE situation will be possible, but not the whole page.

It is very easy to make a button, that performs eva-report without actualy going out. But it will be like a cheat.

Sometimes I have experiments on board that do not show up in the library monitor. Is there a way to get them to show up? Can you explain a little about how you detect which science experiments are available?

If something don't shows up, then it is a bug. I wrote the sorting algorithm for monitor in a hurry. It is just a big dirty hack.

I hope till this weekend i will have some time to rewrite it from scratch.

It scans all possible science modules on ship and uses standard game api functions to check, whether these experiments are possible at the moment.

You can find the source on github.

This might be false alarm, but i might have some hints about stuff not showing up on the monitor, even though they're available. I first noticed this with DMagic's Orbital Science. Weeks ago in 0.23.5, everything worked fine. Then sometime during the upgrade mania of 0.24, apparently he changed his approach on how his experiments work - for example, his partfiles now have situation and biome flags in the module metadata, while the sciencedefs instead have their situationflags and biomeflags zeroed. At this point, experiments did no longer show up in science monitor.

Then i went and edited the sciencedefs, to give them back the proper situation and biomeflags - now everything works again, except of one part: the laser scanner. I can operate it manually via rightclick, but it no longer appears as available experiment on the monitor. Though, maybe i made a mistake somewhere, not sure.

Apollo13, i know, but it's annoying to eva while flying in the atmosphere - kerbal just flies off the ladder easily, and in space over biomes it's just hop in hop out game - annoying

Apollo13, SpiritOffice, so is there a mod that does that?

This might be false alarm, but i might have some hints about stuff not showing up on the monitor, even though they're available. I first noticed this with DMagic's Orbital Science. Weeks ago in 0.23.5, everything worked fine.

They worked, in that, if you pushed Science Library's "deploy" button they collected science, but in doing so it bypasses all of my code and uses the underlying stock behavior. I don't want that to happen, so I set all of the bitmasks to zero and handle that internally. I check for any mods that handle this properly at startup, and if they are present then I re-apply the bitmasks to the standard science experiment definitions, so if this mod ever handles that situation properly I'll add it to the list of mods to check at startup.

output_log snippets:

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'KSPScienceLibrary' from assembly 'KSPScienceLibrary'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RenderingManager.AddToPostDrawQueue (Int32 queueSpot, .Callback drawFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPScienceLibrary.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
:MoveNext()

(Filename: Line: -1)

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'MuMechGUI' from assembly 'InfernalRobotics'

skipping messages without errors or unrelated to sciencelib

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'VNG/VNG_Eject/part/VNG_XE_EjectionModule'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

at RenderingManager.RemoveFromPostDrawQueue (Int32 queueSpot, .Callback drawFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPScienceLibrary.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[IR GUI] destroy

UnloadTime: 44.094711 ms
Unloading 7 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 206 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 65747.
Total: 119.199509 ms (FindLiveObjects: 15.717360 ms CreateObjectMapping: 6.982172 ms MarkObjects: 93.680901 ms DeleteObjects: 2.267606 ms)

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'DarkenSky' from assembly 'DistantObject'

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'KSPScienceButton' from assembly 'KSPScienceLibrary'

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'KSPScienceLibrary' from assembly 'KSPScienceLibrary'

at RenderingManager.AddToPostDrawQueue (Int32 queueSpot, .Callback drawFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

skipping messages without errors or unrelated to sciencelib

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From LOADING to MAINMENU =====================

at RenderingManager.RemoveFromPostDrawQueue (Int32 queueSpot, .Callback drawFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[IR GUI] destroy

UnloadTime: 16.975620 ms
Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 8 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 73504.
Total: 221.112183 ms (FindLiveObjects: 14.632027 ms CreateObjectMapping: 7.013461 ms MarkObjects: 198.445618 ms DeleteObjects: 0.553142 ms)

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'DarkenSky' from assembly 'DistantObject'

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'KSPScienceButton' from assembly 'KSPScienceLibrary'

AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

...etc...

The plugin does seem to work okay here - just noticed this in the output_log and thought you might want to know. Perhaps it's just the result of it not being compiled against 0.24.

Without much understanding from my side, it to me looks as if sciencelibrary registers a handler for onDestroy, and then whenever infernal robotics calls destroy, sciencelib reacts and tries to reference something no longer existing.

Edited by rynak

Apollo13, i know, but it's annoying to eva while flying in the atmosphere - kerbal just flies off the ladder easily, and in space over biomes it's just hop in hop out game - annoying

Apollo13, SpiritOffice, so is there a mod that does that?

i have just made a small mod that adds the abbility to use EVA-report from the inside of command pod.

https://github.com/SpiritOffice/EVAOnBoard/releases/tag/v1.0

output_log snippets:

It has nothing to to with infernal robotics.

I think it looks like loading screen messages. I know ScienceLibrary has some exceptions at loading stage, but ingame it works without problems.

They worked, in that, if you pushed Science Library's "deploy" button they collected science, ...

Do you have some API function that can return a boolean whether the experiment can be done at this moment?

Edited by SpiritOffice

I really like the Library feature of this mod, the monitor could use some resizing since it's quite large (especially experiment names). Do you have any plans to integrate it with Scansat so that we have to scan a planet before all biomes are known etc? I think that would be awesome! :) Also can I hide all experiments I have completed from the monitor?

I will work on Monitor on this weekend. The buttons will be smaller. A lot of stuff all the people wrote in this thread will be implemented.

But the main point for this update will be GUI and usability for both Monitor and Library.

Compatibility with another mods will be scheduled for later time, sorry i just can't do it all at once.

It looks promising, but do not work on Linux... Do you beleive you will be able to fix that? It crashes the game at the first menu, after parts load.

Here are the stacktraces in the log:

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
GameDatabase:StartLoad()
LoadingScreen:Start()
AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'PartMessageServiceInitializer' from assembly 'KSPAPIExtensions'
(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

And

InternalSeat: Cannot find portraitCamera of name 'cameraPassenger1'
UnloadTime: 117.806999 ms

Hmm... There are a couple of exceptions during loading, but it never actualy crashed the game...

This is very strange behaviour. Still with all possible errors, it should never crash the main process.

On this weekend I will make a new version without these exceptions. And then if it is really this mod causing it, it will work fine.

I've liked this mod since I first came across it. Since the update to .24.2 I have been using science alert. It's a nice mod but, I miss being able to see what experiments I still need to do. So, I'm going to try downloading the current version of Science Library while still using Science Alert to see if 1. Science Library works on .24.2. And, 2. What the results of using both mods will be. I'll post on here and let you all know how it goes.

Have fun and keep on modin. :cool:

Hey everyone, CommanderJohnKoenig here with an update report on the results of the combination of Science Library and Science Alert. First yes this mod in it's current release works for .24.2. Second I'd like to report that using both mods in career mode with only the Explore the Mun contract, I ended up with almost 2000 science after a minimal mission to the Mun and back. That's a pretty good result as far as I can see. I would recommend using both mods and maybe Spiritoffice might consider collaborating with Science Alert for even better results. In any case I highly recommend both mods for maximum science returns.:cool:

Hey everyone, CommanderJohnKoenig here with an update report on the results of the combination of Science Library and Science Alert. First yes this mod in it's current release works for .24.2. Second I'd like to report that using both mods in career mode with only the Explore the Mun contract, I ended up with almost 2000 science after a minimal mission to the Mun and back. That's a pretty good result as far as I can see. I would recommend using both mods and maybe Spiritoffice might consider collaborating with Science Alert for even better results. In any case I highly recommend both mods for maximum science returns.:cool:

I thought you were saying there was a collaboration happening between the two modders to combine the mods and my heart skipped a beat. I love using this mod to plan my scientific ventures, but gosh do I wish it had the UI and interactivity that Science Alert has.

I thought you were saying there was a collaboration happening between the two modders to combine the mods and my heart skipped a beat. I love using this mod to plan my scientific ventures, but gosh do I wish it had the UI and interactivity that Science Alert has.

Sorry about the mix up. I was trying out a combination of both mods and, after the amazing results, it just occurred to me that both mod makers should collaborate and make the two mods into one. I mean think about it, Science Alert lets you know exactly when tests are available. While Science Library lets you know what and where experiments have been and still need to be done. I just think combining both into one mod would be frickin awesome. Preplan where you want to go and what experiments to take with you with Science Library and Science Alert to let you know when to do it when you get there. If the mod makers of these two mods got together, just think how quickly this system could be updated after KSP updates. And the possibilities of Science gathering that have not even been thought of yet. In closing I'll just say GREAT WORK to both mod makers even if no collaboration ever comes about.

A beer to both of you as well as all mod makers!!!!!!:cool:

I use this and Science Alert, they are indeed helpful and appreciated!

Is there a way to take the data from Science Monitor and export it to a speadsheet to use to plan missions? I love seeing what I've done and what needs doing without being in the game.

When Science was added to the game I stole someones spreadsheet and kept track manually of what I had completed but boy was that time consuming and boring :)

• 3 weeks later...

Incredibly useful mod, thanks a lot!

I've got two feature requests for the library window:

- option to permanently hide individual experiments. I would like to hide some experiment/situation combinations from the list. Items like SurfaceSample@KerbinSrfSplashedMountains (yeah, need to invent terraforming first), "LandedWater" or "evaReport@KerbinInSpaceLowLaunchpad" (good luck hitting that) may be valid situationmask/biomemask combinations, but i dont want to see them on the list that helps me plan my next mission. If you store these settings in a seperate file, this file could even be distributed/shared with others.

- option to filter out experiments with 0 science remaining (or maybe a configurable threshold to also hide stuff with < 0.5 science remaining etc)

ooh, make that three requests:

- add a final line in the table that shows the sum of the "earned" and "remaining" experiments

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.