Kessler Syndrome Creator

Unanticipated problem: getting into orbit is much harder now, because the debris in the map obscures my trajectory. I\'m having to guess at the actual orbital velocities, like we had to way back in the day before the map was added. Where the hell did I put that spreadsheet?

Gaby: Master of big, expensive things that block out the sun, and yet still causes your jaw to drop from pure awesome.

Also, your planet is going to be a nightmare to live on once all that stuff decays and lands on things.

Launched a eastward-orbiting space station (actually just a whole bunch of mostly-empty fuel tanks) into the orbital death gauntlet. Just in a few minutes, I saw a few 5km misses. I\'m going to leave it running and see if it impacts overnight.

I think I\'ve sent around 750-850 objects up. Does anyone know if objects will impact one another when on rails? I know in 0.13, once you jumped past 2x time dilation, objects would pass right through one another. is this still true?

Would post pics, but Imgur is down.

edit:

note: found a way to count exactly, by looking at the persistent.sfs file and search-counting the number of strings matching 'VESSEL {'. I have 760 debris objects in orbit.

Another note: it takes about 15 minutes to load the launchpad, no matter how small the rocket is. I\'m guessing this might just have something to do with the previous note.

Apparently 760 is simultaneously too many and too few.

Pics from last night, of the counter-orbiting gauntlet-runner.

Closest call before I turned in for the night:

ausSh.jpg

pics of the full debris field:

OmyV3.png

BpYKe.png

It looks worse than it is:

LQlAQ.jpg

This morning, found the result: Ran for 2 hours, then, tragedy struck, but the wrong kind!

GFPIk.jpg

Foiled again!

If I have time, I\'ll probably design a special 'shrapnel' decoupler. My experience is that if you rename a stack decoupler as a radial decoupler, it will fire sideways in the z-axis when it decouples. Combine this with high breaking strength, extremely low mass, and a reasonably high decoupler force, and we\'d probably get a nastier shotgun spread. That should allow more orbital shrapnel coverage, whereas now it\'s really just several discrete 'danger orbits' that are chockablock with debris.

Of course, if I wanted to I could probably match one of those danger orbits, but that\'s not really the point, is it. It has to look like an accident. Mwa ha ha.

Edit: Hmm. Do you think persistent.sfs files are transferable? or mergable?

Apparently 760 is simultaneously too many and too few.

Pics from last night, of the counter-orbiting gauntlet-runner.

Closest call before I turned in for the night:

ausSh.jpg

pics of the full debris field:

OmyV3.png

BpYKe.png

It looks worse than it is:

LQlAQ.jpg

This morning, found the result: Ran for 2 hours, then, tragedy struck, but the wrong kind!

GFPIk.jpg

Foiled again!

If I have time, I\'ll probably design a special 'shrapnel' decoupler. My experience is that if you rename a stack decoupler as a radial decoupler, it will fire sideways in the z-axis when it decouples. Combine this with high breaking strength, extremely low mass, and a reasonably high decoupler force, and we\'d probably get a nastier shotgun spread. That should allow more orbital shrapnel coverage, whereas now it\'s really just several discrete 'danger orbits' that are chockablock with debris.

Of course, if I wanted to I could probably match one of those danger orbits, but that\'s not really the point, is it. It has to look like an accident. Mwa ha ha.

Edit: Hmm. Do you think persistent.sfs files are transferable? or mergable?

There are easily transferable, and editable (as long as you use notepad or notepad++, nothing that adds useless info). You can easily upload the persistence.sfs to the attachments, and you can load it by putting it in saves/default. To merge them, you can do this by hand (just copy each vessel over, and preferably also crew), or there is this: https://github.com/ToxicFrog/kspmerge.

Here is mine, it isn\'t nearly as impressive as the others though.

The ship called suicide is in a westward orbit that nearly exactly matches the majority of the junk, except the junk orbits Eastward.

KOxP5.jpg

Come on people, we shouldn\'t be making a gigantic debris field around Kerbin.

WE SHOULD BE MAKING ONE AROUND THE MUN

Forget the Kessler Syndrome. Let\'s make it hazardous to even stand atop a Mun mountain!

Edit: dang. It looks like after you put a few hundred (or maybe thousand, I\'ve lost count) bits of shrapnel up, they start disappearing. Maybe a bug that\'ll get fixed later, maybe a feature to prevent too much pileup. Hard to say. It is an experimental release, after all. The disappearances appear to happen semi-randomly, but delete all objects in a large sector of the orbital sphere when it does happen.

Go to your settings, adjust the max persistent debris slider to unlimited. Unless you already did that, then I don\'t know.

Xn8lb.jpg

Made a new ship. I call it the Shotgunner. It launches 192 vanilla radial decouplers into orbit. The first stage is my 7x novapunch-balanced main tank, with seven of my 7x1m vanilla engines. The second stage is just a 2m novapunch tank and a 2m novapunch LFE. And a metric ton of struts.

Spin it up before you release the decouplers, one layer at a time. It gives them better spread.

All you need is 0.14, my miscellania, and novapunch 1.0.

Edit: Forgot pics:

Pr3I1.jpg

mkp5u.png

z8Teh.png

Guest Flixxbeatz

Made a new ship. I call it the Shotgunner. It launches 192 vanilla radial decouplers into orbit. The first stage is my 7x novapunch-balanced main tank, with seven of my 7x1m vanilla engines. The second stage is just a 2m novapunch tank and a 2m novapunch LFE. And a metric ton of struts.

Spin it up before you release the decouplers, one layer at a time. It gives them better spread.

No wonder why Nova gave up. Oh well

The tragedy is that I really hate winning at things like this. I push the boundaries as hard as I can, but when I\'m done, there is always a hope that it is possible to do more.

I treasure that hope.

Damn.

Dammit man, I\'m going to beat you at this.

Hopefully with stock parts, but don\'t hold me to that.

Edit: Forgot pics:

Pr3I1.jpg

mkp5u.png

z8Teh.png

Somewhere, Wernher von Braun is spinning in his grave...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.