Those friends of yours...

Starwhip

My friend comes to me and asks me to dock 2 spacecraft together, in Minmus orbit. That was bad enough, as you definitely don't need to do Minmus Apollo-style, but to each his own, I suppose.

Maybe he just wants to learn orbital rendevous... and has a mind to set up a science lab+ fuel depot in orbit around Minmus to harvest all the science

I showed the game to my friends, only two tried the demo. One of them played for one hour before ditching it, saying it was too hard and really not interested in space stuff (he didn't got to orbit). The other, last I've heard, made it to the Mun but doesn't want to buy the game, he's also not interested in that kind of game and finds it too hard.

I guess is really hard to find people who like this kind of game :(

Me, I love it!

To those of you in the thread that have friends that don't play KSP, what is it you think didn't appeal to them? To those of you that do, what do you think kept them sticking around?

Most of my friends think KSP is too complicated, even after I've demonstrated that it really isn't. They don't really see the appeal of testing and perfecting your understanding of orbital physics, or in some cases they just don't want to have to spend hours figuring it all out. It really is a shame, but what can you do? If someone is unwilling to learn, forcing the matter won't help anything.

I just met someone who was playing the demo. The very first live person to show interest, (I've shown it to many, they end up drooling and glassy eyed after I try explaining it to them) I bought him the full version. I hope he sticks with it.

But yeah, the entry into the game (I started with .013 demo) even with the career mode to help explain and Scott Manley videos is still quite steep compared to 'run behind rock, aim gun, pow, rinse, repeat.'

I mean, you learn something here, even without trying to. I was actually shocked at how much this game has taught me about orbital mechanics, without the math! And the fact you can do the math and it will work makes it only that much more interesting.

High barrier to entry. But I personally think it's a feature, not a fault.

'Splosions are the sprinkles on your ice cream sundae......Jeb :huh::cool::confused:

To those of you in the thread that have friends that don't play KSP, what is it you think didn't appeal to them? To those of you that do, what do you think kept them sticking around?

I initial learning curve is very high, it does scare people off; most of my friends won't really try it because of this. I do have friend that wants to play it, has the full version, but his computer can't run it very well... It lags on 50 parts craft :( (he plays it every time he comes round my house though, even though he doesn't understand what's happening he loves flying the planes and making rocket powered sleds.)

But I think most of friends don't play it because it isn't violent or doesn't have the instant-gratification that FPS's and LoL have... And they think it's too expensive... (?????) *sigh*

I think you REALLY need to be into space stuff, physics or science fiction to like KSP like most of us do. Some will be attracted, because even failing is fun in KSP. But i guess the great mass of gamers is simply afraid or bored of what goes on in a space physics game. I played communibots for a year or so, a 2D physics based robot construction game. It really caught me, but not in the slightest way like KSP did.

I have lots of good friends and many are working in scientific jobs like at Fraunhofer Institute or EADS. But they dont play KSP, even after i showed it to them and they agreed that it is more than awesome. Most of us here where hit in the heart by KSP, a game where you can do the awesome stuff you always imagined and dreamed of since childhood. If you don´t have those dreams, KSP wont get you. But that is also one of the reasons that makes this community here so very special.

The absence of mindless shooting keeps them away.

Please don't take these thoughts as marketing ideas. KSP is good the way it's currently going. Some of my friends have played KSP, we just hardly ever talk about it.

Nah, it's more like that mysterious game people talk about called "Outside". It's rumored to have top-level graphics and particle physics. :wink:

Hmph, I tried that one once. The particle effects were admittedly top-notch, the weather effects were kinda nice (if overdone in places) but it's got a steeper learning curve than KSP and being forced to play in Iron Man mode is just plain bad design. The complete lack of save/reload options broke it in my opinion.

On a serious note, the friends that I've shown KSP to all fall squarely in the 'afraid its going to be a time sink', or 'looks cool but not for me' camps. I do wonder if a completed career mode would encourage more people to play - at the moment even career mode is very sandbox.

For me it's the best kind of game - as open as you like but with enough obvious targets to go for that the guidance is there if you need it. Not everyone likes sandboxes though, open or otherwise.

I showed it to my friend last night. Mostly we just fooled around building death contraptions for the Kerbals, but he said it looked really interesting. I don't really think it'll stick for him, though.

That's a new one. To me, KSP is easily worth AAA title pricing, but I suppose I might not have thought so before getting into it.

Oh I totally agree! Well, I wouldn't want to have to pay more for KSP now, but gameplay wise it is definitely worth a lot more than you pay for it! Those sorts of people just see it as a gimmicky, no point game like Gmod, so think £17 (or whatever) is a bit steep... If only they knew! But then these sorts of people go out and buy the latest overpriced shooter for ~£45 (+all the DLC), and get bored with it after a few months; or spend real money buying 'skins' for a LoL champion that doesn't affect or change the repetitive gameplay whatsoever... But what do we know?

When I first heard about KSP, it was some random guy in Wurm Online. I thought "A game where you build your OWN rockets!? And then orbit them and explore other places!!?? TAKE MY MONEY" but surprisingly, most people I know just... don't get it, or don't care enough about space to be interested. I have gotten two people hooked on it, though. One of em was a temporary hook, don't think he still plays. Other one is taking a break til .24. Me? I have quite a bit going on... in the midst of a massive SSTO/Spaceplane addiction, have an Apollo style mission on Mun right now (I usually do.... Mun is my playground) building a full time refuelling depot, with plans to put fuel depots in various solar orbits and around Eve/Duna/Jool, which are the big 3 that I visit the most. Also have a Moho mission going atm. Lol..

Edited by Werwolf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.