Forum Upgrade/Downtime starting May 22nd

SQUAD

First, Squad don't own their own forum servers, they use a hosting company. Second, this is a software update, not a hardware update. Third, it is technically possible but very difficult to migrate a forum database while it is live: the "old" system must be forced to stream old data to the new system while also streaming updates, and the new system has to make some sort of sense of the data streams. Given that a fair proportion of the data is in the form of indexes and links, this is a technical nightmare. It is very much easier and safer to shut down the old system, reformat data (as applicable) and then fire up the new system.

They have been testing rigorously, so I assume they have a good idea how long this process will take. The time will include creating the backup (vBulletin strongly advise this is done while the forum is down because of the certainty of PHP timeouts which will create a broken backup), the installation of new scripts and add-ons, the actual upgrade process, and testing. I hope they have allowed a lot of time for dealing with problems they may encounter!

I hope they have allowed a lot of time for dealing with problems they may encounter!

Brace yourself ©. Vbulletin 5.1 is still under active development.

Our developers on the web in general somehow unlucky. People just want to communicate and not do beta test for vbulletin. Forum software is not need to be expensive.

Edited by pwlnw

I am not saying they do it live you would have some downtime outage, 48 hours is a long time for a migration, unless thats the period required to restore from backup which still seems excessive

You would be surprised by the time for backup... But you are right it is still a bit of time. I guess they have made the timeframe that big in case they DO run into problems, in which case it may take that long to recover. It probably is a bit of a long shot, so if its up before 48 hours, be grateful. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.