Suggestion: delete mod parts that you do not use

Origim

Hi all,

This is probably common sense, but for someone like me it took way too many Kerbal hours to start doing this technique.

I've started to use too many mods and even with the best texture management techniques my game became unstable. However, I was able to recoup 700 mb of memory without altering my game experience at all: I downloaded a folder size scanner for windows (for some strange and weird reason, you can't sort folders by size in windows!) and first checked my gamedata folder for the heaviest mods. Within those mods, I then checked for the parts that consumed the most space -- I quickly found that a lot of those parts I never even used! After purging all of my mods, my game is now 700 mb lighter!

This is very, very good advice.

Just a note: remember that size on disk does not equate to size in memory. MBMs are uncompressed on disk; a 1024x1024 texture will consume 3MB of space. Ingame it uses 512KB. A PNG version of the same texture might use only 200KB on disk (or, if it's mostly 1 color, only 50KB!); but ingame it will still use 512KB of memory.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.