[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

So I'm having an issue with ScanSat not showing any mapoping. I have the latest version from the dev build PreRelease v9.0rc4.1 and use Karbonite as well as the other Dover mods. For some reason I may have missed something like a plugin for it but I just did a fresh install of mods. I had it working before but broke my game with too many mods, and I think I had Dl'd Mechjeb2Rpm or ScanSatRpm and can't find the downloads for them any more. If I'm reading correct, they are outdated to my understanding and have been integrated into other things?

Here are a couple images of my blank ScanSat blank screens and mods installed.

http://imgur.com/8aY71HS

http://imgur.com/A7YTH6t

Just wondering if I maybe did something wrong or missed downloading something for it.

Is the ship in the picture your first attempt at scanning?

The sensor on that probe is meant for ground use only to get details of anomalies found with the multi spectral scanner. You need to put up a ship or satellite with some combination of the other parts on it then when it is in orbit right click the part and click the button to start a scan

well , I have 4 "scanners" on it, I have a telescope, the Karbonite detector, and 2 SCAN ones included in the screens.. mind you, you're correct in that the one i have is for ground use, i didn't notice it until you mentioned it.

http://imgur.com/a/OGxGFbut

it's not scanning anything still. my satellite is at a 500 km polar orbit and it should scan it right?

I'm loving the mod! congrats

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to change the texture of the planet to reflect the parts that you actually scanned?

Let's say you want to land on duna, when you get there the whole planet is black (or something similar) then activate scansat and when you scan a region the original texture will become visible on the planet

to give an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65401284/duna.jpg

maybe this could be limited to probes...

The MapResourceOverlay addon (0.90 release available on GitHub) does some of this, but it only lays scan results on top of the original texture. (I guess it's not like we had no idea of what Mars looked like before putting satellites around it -- we had images from telescopes and such.)

well , I have 4 "scanners" on it, I have a telescope, the Karbonite detector, and 2 SCAN ones included in the screens.. mind you, you're correct in that the one i have is for ground use, i didn't notice it until you mentioned it.

http://imgur.com/a/OGxGFbut

it's not scanning anything still. my satellite is at a 500 km polar orbit and it should scan it right?

The altitude is good, but looking at your original pic show none of the scanners are active. They are not automatically on, you will have to manually turn them on by right clicking them or setting up action groups for them.

I launched my com sat 4 that went into a polar orbit, I didn't activate anything until I reach my orbit of 500km, decoupled the active sat, I have communitron 32's on it. the sat is controllable.*and then turned on the Karbonite scanner and nothing happens.

The MapResourceOverlay addon (0.90 release available on GitHub) does some of this, but it only lays scan results on top of the original texture. (I guess it's not like we had no idea of what Mars looked like before putting satellites around it -- we had images from telescopes and such.)

well there are a lot of possible ways to address that, for example you could assume previous telescope images were already taken and put on the planet a very-low resolution mapping, or you could require the use of a telescope part to even get that....

I didn't want to ask you to implement all that, I guess the simplest way should be finding a mod that can replace textures of planets and then implementing it there, but I have really zero knowledge about scripting in ksp.

If someone likes the idea feel free to build on that. and maybe let me know if you find something :)

I'm using the dev version and how do you view the large map, with the karbonite? Do you need to have 100% of the planet scanned, so far I just get a blank unmovable page when I hit big map. The settings are also not recognizingy any resources even though I have karbonite.

Edited by locustgate

same here.

scan range optimal on altimetre, karbonite scanner, survey camera, and yet no image of the mig map.

it worked a couple o days ago., now, nothing. I reset the map. stil no images.

somewhat disappointing since its one of the better mods out there and usually one of the firsts I install after new setup...

Hi everyone,

I do have a similar problem as seen around here, although the scanners function ok in general when it comes to resources in the settings menu where you should be able to see the resources from the scanned planet I get "no resources found", even though they are there if I try to mine Karbonite according to the MapResourceOverlay.

I use 0.90 KSP and all my mods updated for 0.90

I didn't saw this particular problem around anyone has any idea ??

Hi everyone,

I do have a similar problem as seen around here, although the scanners function ok in general when it comes to resources in the settings menu where you should be able to see the resources from the scanned planet I get "no resources found", even though they are there if I try to mine Karbonite according to the MapResourceOverlay.

I use 0.90 KSP and all my mods updated for 0.90

I didn't saw this particular problem around anyone has any idea ??

Use the dev version...

why no appbar support yet? lots of mods are using it nowsdays... :P

Yea, and that's going to become a problem soon if more mods jump over to it before Squad can make it collapsible or something. This is just a mock-up but if all my Toolbar buttons were required to be in the App Launcher I'd be using VOID or Engineer to read my altitude, vertical speed, etc :/

4rYJEy9.png

Feature request:

An option to configure the biome overlay of the big map to use different colors based upon the amount of science remaining to be collected there. Ideally, I'd like to use it to find places where I should send a probe with instruments (thermometer, seizmometer, etc.) to get remaining science points. I'd like to use it when I can only make a few stops and want to maximize science returns. Right now I have to remember the parts I have, look at the biome map, switch to the science building and see what I still have to collect. Then switch back to the vessle. Repeat a few times to pick a landing spot and then land. Visualization of this data would be really helpful!

Thanks!

Has something changed or am I just a bit dense?

I've been testing SCANSat out as part of my SCANSat contract pack and have just gotten around to the Minmus Multispectral one. The very top orbit in the "best orbits" thread for Minmus and Multispec is

7 (1.22) 273.963 km +/- 1.24 km (44.41°) 7h 59.6m 27h 58.6m +/- 09.4m (12.6°)

I just put a craft in a 275km 44.3 degree orbit and it took at least twice the 27 stated hours to even get to 50%, because the top and bottom chunks of the map are being missed and apparently the tiny bit extra was making me be nearly resonant which wasn't helping. But I'll never get 100% if the top and bottom are never getting scanned at all.

All the others I've used thus far for Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Eve, Duna and Ike have been fine. Am I being thick?

You could just do a 90 degree or maybe 85 degree orbit, that'll guarantee getting all of it, even if it just takes longer.

*has no clue what the best orbits are supposed to be anyway*

Also, anybody have a clue how to fix custom biomes that somehow got flipped from where the features actually are?

Edited by smjjames