[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

35 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I have a question.  Pardon me if this has been asked already but my internet is acting badly right now so I can't search.

Situation:  I have stock resource scanning disabled.  I use @RoverDude's MKS-Lite which has a new resource called "Dirt", needed for its life support system to work.  MKS-Lite uses the same KolonyTools.dll file as the full-blown MKS mod so SCANsat makes all the stock scanner parts look for regular MKS resources, all good there.  However, SCANsat's MKS config file doesn't have a section for "Dirt" so I don't find any of that with the stock scanners.  I tried to crib what I thought were the appropriate parts of the appropriate .cfg files to make my own ModuleManager patch to find "Dirt" but with no success.

Question:  Would it be possible to update SCANsat in the near future so it can find "Dirt" like the other MKS resources?  And in the interim, can somebody tell me how to do my own ModuleManager patch for this?

Thanks.

I could be entirely incorrect here, but I think dirt is just "everywhere." As in, the ground is dirt. I suspect that wouldn't be true on Jool though, of course.

Also, I am just learning the mod myself so I might be mistaken.

7 minutes ago, Bandus said:

I could be entirely incorrect here, but I think dirt is just "everywhere." As in, the ground is dirt. I suspect that wouldn't be true on Jool though, of course.

Also, I am just learning the mod myself so I might be mistaken.

Well, Dirt ain't everywhere.  It's especially annoying when I use the ScanOMatic included with MKS-Lite, run it's analysis, and it just says "unknown" for Dirt, probably because the orbital scanning doesn't know to look for it.

On 12/29/2015 at 3:00 PM, Bandus said:

But before I sink time into that, does it appear based on my above description, that I have done everything properly? Thanks!

Also, is 9.29% a reasonable concentration of ore to mine? It seems like most of Minmus had an average of 6.4% or so, but I worry that 9.29% is low.

That all sounds correct, and 9.3% is a pretty high concentration, around 15% is the max I think.

17 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I have a question.  Pardon me if this has been asked already but my internet is acting badly right now so I can't search.

Situation:  I have stock resource scanning disabled.  I use @RoverDude's MKS-Lite which has a new resource called "Dirt", needed for its life support system to work.  MKS-Lite uses the same KolonyTools.dll file as the full-blown MKS mod so SCANsat makes all the stock scanner parts look for regular MKS resources, all good there.  However, SCANsat's MKS config file doesn't have a section for "Dirt" so I don't find any of that with the stock scanners.  I tried to crib what I thought were the appropriate parts of the appropriate .cfg files to make my own ModuleManager patch to find "Dirt" but with no success.

Question:  Would it be possible to update SCANsat in the near future so it can find "Dirt" like the other MKS resources?  And in the interim, can somebody tell me how to do my own ModuleManager patch for this?

Thanks.

There is a relatively simple method for doing this yourself. When I get a chance I'll post the instructions. 

Edit:

Basically you just need to make sure SCANsat recognizes the resource then add a scanner module; this is something I should add to the SCANsat wiki.

Open the SCANresource.cfg file in the SCANsat/Resources folder. Add a new SCANSAT_SENSOR node for the desired resource using the next available value. Resources are identified using an integer enum, so you just need to go up by powers of 2. I think 2^20 is the next available value that isn't used internally.

After adding that you need to add a scanner module to whatever part you want to use. Look in the SCANsat_Resource_Scanner.cfg in the SCANsat/MM_Parts folder for reference. Just make sure to use the value you set in the other file. There are two SCANsat resource modules, one for the scanner itself, and the other for displaying the value in the right-click menu.

You can customize the colors and cutoff values in-game using the color management window.

Also note that you can alter an existing scanner module by changing the sensorType field. Just add all of the desired types together (the MKS scanner already does this), and the one module will work for all of those resources.

Edited by DMagic

I have a question with resource overly when displaying on the RPM screens. I dont have resource overly turned on or are resources turned on in the large scansat map but my RPM screens only display pink and blue instead of the normal map I cant seem to get it to be normal any help appreciated I am using the latest version of RPM and scansat 

I'm having a problem with scanning for resources. Unfortunately I'm using a veritable cornucopia of mods, which might be causing the issue, so i'm unsure if one of them is at fault instead.

Basically, so far I've found every scan type works fine except for resource scanning, which does nothing. I've tried using the stock scan module, which goes through the process of "uploading data", then doesn't give science or confirm the scan being complete. I also tried the "planetary survey scanner" from MKS, which is visibly scanning when right clicking (can see the local biomes approx values), however nothing appears on the maps.

My current mod list is as follows: (underlined are the ones I feel more likely to be causing a conflict due to overlaps with parts involved/resource usage)

• Adjustable Landing Gear
  • AVP interstellar V2 reboot
  • B9 Aerospace pack
  • Chatterer
  • Docking Port Alignment
  • EVE
  • EPL
  • FAR
  • KAS
  • KAC
  • KCT
  • Kerbal Engineer
  • KIS
  • PlanetShine
  • PreciseNode
  • RemoteTech
  • Scansat
  • TAC LS
  • TAC Fuel Balancer
  • Texture Replacer
  • Trajectories
  • Transfer Window Planner
  • UKS

I have stock scanning enabled, and disabled the "require Narrow Band Scanner".

Here is a dropbox link for my output log. (I was a little surprised at the size)

If no one has any idea on the fix, or it would actually require the removal of mods, I'd be comfortable simply editing the persistence file after "scanning" to claim it's actually been scanned. (Or maybe it already says it's been scanned and the problem is just with displaying?)

edit: if there's more files/information required just ask, and I'll provide

Edited by NightHawk043

I have some troubles with Ore Scanning aswell.

I disabled Stock Scanning.

I made a full Scan of the Mun with the M700 (atleast the full map if i click on resources has a tint of purple now). I have previously scanned the Mun already with an MULTI and an LOW Scan.

Sadly it seems either SCANSAT has no filter settings for the "rough" M700 Ore Scan as the stock version has (0% / 10% / 20% / ... / 90 % / 100% cutoff) to highlight only the "better" quality areas.

And since I honestly can not say if some parts or slighly stronger purple then others or if thats only the monochrome backround of the LOW scan showing through on the map I have absolutly no idea where to put my first mining outpost on the mun. Whenever i overlay the mun with the Ore resources and activate the tooltip thingy i only get "Ore: No Scanner" message everywhere.

I even used a surface scan module on my science hopper and checked 3-4 biomes where i landed for resources it seems that is only local info not getting connected to SCANSAT.... like the toggled displays of the other science pieces (temperature etc.)

Is Mining Ore with SCANSAT really useless compared to stock aslong as you dont have any high res scanners or that narrow band thing?

Greetings

Doodle

On 1/1/2016 at 1:32 AM, YeshyYeshiam said:

I am using the version for 0.23 (not 0.23.5) and I am encountering a glitch where in both the VAB and orbit, the scanners will not expand/retract and will do nothing if I right-click them. Is there anything I could do to fix this?

Old versions aren't supported.

On 1/1/2016 at 6:40 AM, Virtualgenius said:

I have a question with resource overly when displaying on the RPM screens. I dont have resource overly turned on or are resources turned on in the large scansat map but my RPM screens only display pink and blue instead of the normal map I cant seem to get it to be normal any help appreciated I am using the latest version of RPM and scansat 

Screenshots?

On 1/1/2016 at 9:06 AM, NightHawk043 said:

I'm having a problem with scanning for resources. Unfortunately I'm using a veritable cornucopia of mods, which might be causing the issue, so i'm unsure if one of them is at fault instead.

This sounds like the RemoteTech/ScienceAlert issue with resource scanner and science lab data transmissions. Does stock scanning work at all? Try it with default SCANsat resource settings or without SCANsat at all.

21 hours ago, Doodle said:

I have some troubles with Ore Scanning aswell.

I disabled Stock Scanning.

I made a full Scan of the Mun with the M700 (atleast the full map if i click on resources has a tint of purple now). I have previously scanned the Mun already with an MULTI and an LOW Scan.

Sadly it seems either SCANSAT has no filter settings for the "rough" M700 Ore Scan as the stock version has (0% / 10% / 20% / ... / 90 % / 100% cutoff) to highlight only the "better" quality areas.

And since I honestly can not say if some parts or slighly stronger purple then others or if thats only the monochrome backround of the LOW scan showing through on the map I have absolutly no idea where to put my first mining outpost on the mun. Whenever i overlay the mun with the Ore resources and activate the tooltip thingy i only get "Ore: No Scanner" message everywhere.

I even used a surface scan module on my science hopper and checked 3-4 biomes where i landed for resources it seems that is only local info not getting connected to SCANSAT.... like the toggled displays of the other science pieces (temperature etc.)

Is Mining Ore with SCANSAT really useless compared to stock aslong as you dont have any high res scanners or that narrow band thing?

Greetings

Doodle

This:

On 12/31/2015 at 10:12 PM, DMagic said:

You can customize the colors and cutoff values in-game using the color management window.

And you can try disabling the Narrow-Band Scanner Requirement for now.

I have plans for adding a simplified resource concentration cutoff adjustment to the planetary overlay window (something similar to the stock system, but without that confusion generating system of using different percentage scales for the cutoff...) and for adjusting how the tooltip and resource readouts work without a Narrow-Band scanner;I just haven't gotten around to it.

On 1/1/2016 at 6:06 AM, NightHawk043 said:

Basically, so far I've found every scan type works fine except for resource scanning, which does nothing. I've tried using the stock scan module, which goes through the process of "uploading data", then doesn't give science or confirm the scan being complete. I also tried the "planetary survey scanner" from MKS, which is visibly scanning when right clicking (can see the local biomes approx values), however nothing appears on the maps.

I had this same problem.  The scan completes but it never makes it back to the space center.  The communication device that is being used just says "uploading data" like you say.  The planet is never scanned / no map update etc.  It's repeatable.  You can switch back later and scan again but it never makes it home.

I uninstalled RemoteTech (breaking my game ... but it's a new save and I can recover) and it fixed it.  Planet scanned.

I'm having a problem with the resource map.  

Mods: Asteroid day, Chatterer, Enhanced navball, Kerbal engineer, Hyperedit, Precise node, Procedural parts and Fairings, ScanSat, Squad's ARM, Surface lights, Tarsier tech, Alarm clock, World cup, and Module manager.

I'm testing a mission to Moho in sandbox, Hyperediting the package to Kerbin orbit to save test time so I don't have to relaunch every time I tweak the package :blush:.  Polar package consists of a Scansat (all three on one sat) and an M-700 survey scanner on a separate craft.  Once both were in orbit. I started a RADAR scan, switched vessels to the resource scanner and started the scan.  Initially I was given resource data from the M-700 and it showed in the map, so I went to the space center to get better time warp for the RADAR scan.  When I returned to Moho, I pulled up the ScanSat big map to check resource data but it says no scanner.  The stock display is also not working.  I'm guessing it may have something to do with Hyperedit, which seems very buggy.  I just want to make sure everything works before I remove HE and run the tested mission in career.  

Am I missing something?  Any ideas?

ED84024E7B4CE70F389436F81978091D006FA91F

7B8EDBC5905A663BC37CE16544418412252E95A8

1 hour ago, Aethon said:

Am I missing something?  Any ideas?

What are your SCANsat resource settings? It might be normal behavior; and as I said a few posts up, I plan on changing the way that the resource readout works for low resolution resource scans.

43 minutes ago, Aethon said:

Are you saying this behavior should stop after the hi res scan?  I'll try that and then I'll remove Hyperedit.

Basically, yes.

You can read more on SCANsat and stock resource scanning on the wiki. I'm not sure why the stock resource maps aren't working in your case, SCANsat shouldn't be doing anything to affect that with your settings. It could be related to Hyperedit (which shouldn't cause problems with SCANsat). 

Ok.  I took out Hyperedit and warped a full Hi res scan, no dice.  I think there's something wrong with the stock M-700 survey scanner.  I've seen some threads that report problems with it.  It seems like the game thinks I haven't performed the initial survey scan which would keep ScanSat from showing resource data I believe.  I'll ask in modded installs.  Thanks for the prompt responses.  Love the mod.

Dear SCANners, I have to be blunt: how do I configure the stock Ore scanning to work the same as non-stock scanners, with no need for groundside sensors and an initial large dish scan?

If I understand it correctly, with stock scanning disabled, the large dish gives you data with accuracy to 1%, while the smaller scanner can display you the small map with 0.01% precision readout - which is not saved on the big map.

And it's apparently the same, whatever settings I pick on Hi-Freq scanner and Biome Lock.

Yes, I really don't want to cart both of the sensors.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Dear SCANners, I have to be blunt: how do I configure the stock Ore scanning to work the same as non-stock scanners, with no need for groundside sensors and an initial large dish scan?

If I understand it correctly, with stock scanning disabled, the large dish gives you data with accuracy to 1%, while the smaller scanner can display you the small map with 0.01% precision readout - which is not saved on the big map.

And it's apparently the same, whatever settings I pick on Hi-Freq scanner and Biome Lock.

Yes, I really don't want to cart both of the sensors.

Turn off stock scanning, biome lock and the narrow-band requirement. Then carry around a narrow-band scanner for hi-res ore scans, no need for the M700 dish if you don't want it. Hi-res resource scans are saved by SCANsat the same as any other scan type.

12 hours ago, DMagic said:

Turn off stock scanning, biome lock and the narrow-band requirement. Then carry around a narrow-band scanner for hi-res ore scans, no need for the M700 dish if you don't want it. Hi-res resource scans are saved by SCANsat the same as any other scan type.

OK, it works, thanks, I'll try not to crush as many of your seismic sensors as I have been.

I'm having the same issue of the user Aethon but I didn't use Hyperedit.

b8kxbiA.jpg

1nEFjgt.jpg

this is my modlist:

Active Texture Management - X86 - Aggressive (ActiveTextureManagement-x86-Aggressive 5-0)
blackheart612's Procedural Part Textures (ProceduralParts-Textures-SCCKSCS 1)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.4.8.0)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.9.2.1)
Contract Pack: RemoteTech (ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech 2.0.1)
Contract Window + (ContractsWindowPlus 5.5)
Custom Barn Kit (CustomBarnKit 1.1.3.0)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.1)
Final Frontier (FinalFrontier 0.9.4-1798)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.1.5)
Flight Manager for Reusable Stages [FMRS] (FMRS v1.0.1)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 1.18)
JebediahKerman42's Procedural Parts Textures a.k.a. FreedomTex (FreedomTex 1.5.1)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.5.0.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.5.5)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.2.3)
Klockheed Martian General Plugin Functions - Gimbal module (KlockheedMartian-Gimbal 3.0.6.0)
kOS: Scriptable Autopilot System (kOS 0.18.2)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.5.5.0)
Mk 2 Essentials (Mk2Essentials 6)
Mk2 Stock-a-like Expansion (Mk2Expansion 1.6.11)
Mk3 KIS Cargo Containers (Mk3KISCargoContainers 1.0)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.1.2.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.6.16)
Navball Docking Alignment Indicator (NavballDockingIndicator v7)
Navball Up Default (NavballUpDefault V0.1)
PersistentRotation (PersistentRotation 1.0.2)
Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings v3.15)
Procedural Parts (ProceduralParts v1.1.11)
Procedural Parts - Saturn / Nova Texture Pack (ProceduralParts-Textures-SaturnNova 1)
QuickBrake (QuickBrake v1.10)
QuickGoTo (QuickGoTo v1.21)
QuickScroll (QuickScroll v1.32)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor v0.24.2.1)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core v0.24.2.1)
RCS Build Aid (RCSBuildAid 0.7.6)
RealHeat (RealHeat v2)
RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.6.9)
SCANsat (SCANsat v14.5)
Science Funding (ScienceFunding 1.2.1)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.10)
Trajectories (Trajectories v1.4.5)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.2.6)
Universal Storage (UniversalStorage 1.1.0.8)
Unmanned before Manned (UnmannedBeforeManned 1.0.2)

Edited by Carsaxy

I haven't found a fix yet.  I know there is a bug with the M700 scanner.  The only think I can think of as a workaround is waiting to run the resource scan until i have the SAR scan done.  I think then scan sat will have the resource info even if the stock game refuses to acknowledge it.

If you disable stock resource scanning (and have Module Manager installed) and use SCANsat resource scanners then whatever weird stock issues are preventing resource scans from completing shouldn't cause any problems. 

As far as I know the issues with the stock scanner relate to the transmission not completing (and I think this is always due to other mods breaking the transmitters) which prevents the scan from registering; and that the overlays don't work in the tracking station, which isn't really related to anything here.

SCANsat scanners don't care about any of that (there is one problem that I can think of with Hyperedit - if you have never visited that planet before, and only use Hyperedit to get there, SCANsat might not register scanning, simply opening up any SCANsat map while at that planet should be enough to initialize everything). With stock scanning disabled you can scan with the M700 or the Narrow-Band scanner; there is no required scanning order.