[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

I need to work on getting a proper Korolev Cross with the rocket, so far it's proving a bit... messy. If I have any success I'll post a screenshot or two!

Without actually testing, I'm going to guess you're getting the decoupler bug, there's a mod pinned on the top of the mod release forum that fixes it. It fixed most of my other attempts at Korolev Cross.

The decoupler 'mess' (I agree to call it that!) has two solutions I know of: The bug dissipates after ~750m/s surface to the point where it separates normally. The other is using this plugin that returns the behavior to the previous sane/working/not broken in half behavior. I know you don't want to bundle any plugins, but it might be worth a link to say 'hey, this'll fix up the korlev cross.

Doh, I see you have the ~750m/s solution, nevermind!

Beale! I think 'I' may have found a solution for the Proton 3rd stage vernier issue. I don't know if anyone came up with the idea before. I downloaded Horizon Aeronautics and realized that the Zenit's second stage engine also has verniers and the particle effects on them are different.

Here's the link to the mod if you want to take a look at it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16866-Horizon-Aeronautics-Development-Thread

To be honest, I don't think you should change the thrust that much or if you do, maybe to 300 rather than anything lower. Engines are tweakable so is somebody want to use them with lower thrust, they can just lower it in game. But to build a 3 stage rocket (Zenit, Dnepr...) without the boosters 250 max. might not be enough for moderately heavy payloads.

Above 300 would put it in line with the solid boosters of the same form factor, that would be okay I think. Maybe around 330kN.

Nice launch!

The payload?

The decoupler 'mess' (I agree to call it that!) has two solutions I know of: The bug dissipates after ~750m/s surface to the point where it separates normally. The other is using this plugin that returns the behavior to the previous sane/working/not broken in half behavior. I know you don't want to bundle any plugins, but it might be worth a link to say 'hey, this'll fix up the korlev cross.

Doh, I see you have the ~750m/s solution, nevermind!

Yah, the fix works fine in my experience, I'd suggest that. But if I can get decouplers working without the fix, it is better (Squad still hasn't fixed it after two versions, and people haven't kicked up a big fuss as far as I've seen, so I don't have a lot of faith it will be fixed soon).

I wonder if this website could help for designs?

http://www.pin-plus.ca/orbiter/

This is an Orbiter addon that represents the R-7 Semyorka rockets and their historical payloads.

I have a few orbiter addons that I've used for references, especially while making MIR stuff.

A few problems with them being either:

A - absurdly detailed, to the point where it's hard to get the basic shape of the thing.

B - vague approximations of the thing it is trying to imitate / not good reference.

Still, nice link, thanks :)

Don't worry, kermrade, we got your back! :D

Nice :cool:

BTW, nice R7, I can finally switch from HGR+Tantares to Tantares-only. :)

Although, I must admit, 1.875 is a good size. :)

I think it is fair to say my own R7 is a small lifter, its max payload is going to be rather limited.

HGR's medium parts are great for, well, medium lifters.

So yeah, I think they co-exist just fine, each has its uses :)

Beale! I think 'I' may have found a solution for the Proton 3rd stage vernier issue. I don't know if anyone came up with the idea before. I downloaded Horizon Aeronautics and realized that the Zenit's second stage engine also has verniers and the particle effects on them are different.

Here's the link to the mod if you want to take a look at it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16866-Horizon-Aeronautics-Development-Thread

Thanks, I will take a look :)

Yah, the fix works fine in my experience, I'd suggest that. But if I can get decouplers working without the fix, it is better (Squad still hasn't fixed it after two versions, and people haven't kicked up a big fuss as far as I've seen, so I don't have a lot of faith it will be fixed soon).

I think it is fair to say my own R7 is a small lifter, its max payload is going to be rather limited.

HGR's medium parts are great for, well, medium lifters.

So yeah, I think they co-exist just fine, each has its uses :)

There is a sticky thread in the addon releases, the Stock Bug Fix Pack, it fix equally that decoupler bug, making nice Korolev crosses like in the attached album :)

That's why I consider your R7 more realistic in this way, the old one could carry a Tantares to interplanetary missions, this one is really better fitting in both size and payload capabilities, though I must admit, the engines on lower stages are WAY overpowered. I'd suggest something around 270 kN thrust.

And for the pics, Yuri approves your TLV, pics with traditional Russian tree on background included :) :

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I must admit, the engines on lower stages are WAY overpowered. I'd suggest something around 270 kN thrust.

And for the pics, Yuri approves your TLV, pics with traditional Russian tree on background included :) :

http://imgur.com/a/qSTKP

Haha! Nice album there. :)

The launch location looks great, desert with tree scatter, the mod?

Yeah, I think the engines are in need of a tweaking. The R7 has too much TWR in current form.

Currently I am playing around with 330kN and it seems still quite... explosive acceleration.

I will play around with stock decoupler fix.

Edited by Beale

But what are you up to making now?

And can I expect to see first prototype pics of Vostok stage this Friday?

Friendly reminder not to 'hound' add-on authors. It doesn't help them, and just wears them down over time. Beale is doing a fantastic job and putting out content at a surprising rate frankly.

Edited by curtquarquesso

Friendly reminder not to 'hound' add-on authors. It doesn't help them, and just wears them down over time. Beale is doing a fantastic job and putting out content at a surprising rate frankly.

I know I don't want to iritate him im just curious about mod development because I am a great fan of this mod. It's my favourite mod.

I love Beale's eagerness and i would like to help him somehow.

But what are you up to making now?

And can I expect to see first prototype pics of Vostok stage this Friday?

I know I don't want to iritate him im just curious about mod development because I am a great fan of this mod. It's my favourite mod.

I love Beale's eagerness and i would like to help him somehow.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, really!

But, curtquarquesso is right. The friendliest possible reminder, I currently juggle a degree, a job and family life. So I cannot guarantee anything by any date.

Hope you understand! :)

Edited by Beale

Tested Tavio. Well, it adds an extra km/s of delta-V in comparison with previously used by me resized KWRocketry parts, but looks great. Tried to substitute Block E with stock tank and CEMu, but with extra length of pFairing base it's too long, I suppose. Still great.Addition: Tested Soyuz configuration MechJeb's limit of velocity (to not have explosion-alike lift). Ascent turned into a lot of throttle-up-n-downs. Doming Kerman was cool, Halgee Kerman started to look for escape button.Tavio CEM(u) for third stage proved itself too wasteful.

Edited by nothingSpecial

Thanks to everyone who explained the decoupler bug, I installed the fix and it now works great... though in my excitement I forgot to take a screenshot :P

Instead I'll post something completely different. It's a bit low-res, but proof nonetheless that Tantares Grey (I think that should be a new colour!) looks beautiful with a subtle albedo glow from the PlanetShine mod:

iGbu4P8.png

I have some feedback regarding the R7. When I attach a decoupler to the second stage engine, no interstage covering or mesh appears. You may wanna add that, although you probably already thought of that. Second, I used the stock 1.25m stack decoupler with the engine. Here's the result. The lack of mesh or covering I mentioned is also shown:

8fO0tg1.png

As you can see, the decoupler looks rather unsightly and breaks with the color scheme of the rocket, so you should make a custom decoupler for the stages.

-Apple

Edited by AppleDavidJeans

Tested Tavio. Well, it adds an extra km/s of delta-V in comparison with previously used by me resized KWRocketry parts, but looks great. Tried to substitute Block E with stock tank and CEMu, but with extra length of pFairing base it's too long, I suppose. Still great.Addition: Tested Soyuz configuration MechJeb's limit of velocity (to not have explosion-alike lift). Ascent turned into a lot of throttle-up-n-downs. Doming Kerman was cool, Halgee Kerman started to look for escape button.Tavio CEM(u) for third stage proved itself too wasteful.

Thanks for the feedback :)

By "too wasteful" do you mean it is better to use the CEM(B) even on upper stage, for example?

Thanks to everyone who explained the decoupler bug, I installed the fix and it now works great... though in my excitement I forgot to take a screenshot :P

Instead I'll post something completely different. It's a bit low-res, but proof nonetheless that Tantares Grey (I think that should be a new colour!) looks beautiful with a subtle albedo glow from the PlanetShine mod:

http://i.imgur.com/iGbu4P8.png

Nice screenshot!

I really like the planetshine glow, Kerbin's glow is especially nice.

I have some feedback regarding the R7. When I attach a decoupler to the second stage engine, no interstage covering or mesh appears. You may wanna add that, although you probably already thought of that. Second, I used the stock 1.25m stack decoupler with the engine. Here's the result. The lack of mesh or covering I mentioned is also shown:

http://i.imgur.com/8fO0tg1.png

As you can see, the decoupler looks rather unsightly and breaks with the color scheme of the rocket, so you should make a custom decoupler for the stages.

-Apple

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, both the points you have raised, I am fixing :)

More MunBase:

934f4d18ed.jpg

Edited by Beale

Not sure that CEMb would work as it has lower Isp. Libra's Isp is a bit higher (400 instead of CEMu's 380) and it works perfect for Tantares to 500 km orbit; CEMu made me use almost all fuel of Tantares' service module to circularize at 75 km and CEMb shouldn't (logically) be any better. Sorry but haven't tried it yet and I should go and try to sleep a little.

Not sure that CEMb would work as it has lower Isp. Libra's Isp is a bit higher (400 instead of CEMu's 380) and it works perfect for Tantares to 500 km orbit; CEMu made me use almost all fuel of Tantares' service module to circularize at 75 km and CEMb shouldn't (logically) be any better. Sorry but haven't tried it yet and I should go and try to sleep a little.

That's weird. I tested the R7 and it made a flawless ride to a 100km orbit under MechJeb control with more than enough fuel.

I don't have any mods that modify any of my engines' and tanks' stats. They're straight from the devs.

CVqOhb9.png

That's weird. I tested the R7 and it made a flawless ride to a 100km orbit under MechJeb control with more than enough fuel.

I don't have any mods that modify any of my engines' and tanks' stats. They're straight from the devs.

http://i.imgur.com/CVqOhb9.png

Yes, likewise as AppleDavidJeans, I have no problem getting to 100kmx100km orbit with half fuel in upper stage.

abbaa35fae.jpg

What mods you are using?

a7f23c59f3.jpg