[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][{Proton Revamp]

Beale

A bit of deliberation I'm having is where to house the experiment modules... (Actually suggestions on this would be really helpful!)

New experiments could be intriguing. I did plan some for more MIR stuff.

Excellent news :)

Well the "native" station science modules are not terrible, but what seems obvious solutions for Soviet crafts:

1. Progress capsules - these can either be perishable (no return), as you can mostly extract the experiments and load them into manned capsules for reentry, or you can recover the entire capsule (which is unprogresslike, but hey), or you could develop something like the Raduga (how, I'm not sure, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort)

2. TKS modules - just a "cargo module" loaded with the experiment. You could base this one off the current cargo module (in fact a "native" experiment capsule fits just snugly inside as is), just fill the inside with some gubbins that would look experiment-like. Manual extraction before reentry would be required, of course.

As to the new experiments - why not start off the MIR experiments themselves? Kvant-2 had a quail-hatching experiment, that sounds pretty much like the kibbal ones in SS. Kristall - material processing (a new experiment branch?) or electric-related stuff (like the quarks or whatever in SS). Spektr seems to be focused on Earth research, so it should have some sort of experiment for analysing the parent body it is orbiting. Priroda also focused on the Earth, so it could be a complement/expansion to Spektr.

Of course, there could be more than just this - a bigger Eureka generator than the Kvant-1, and alternatives for the other modules from SS... then one would want to build something like this ;)

mir-ghost.jpg

Edited by TheBedla

Excellent news :)

Well the "native" station science modules are not terrible, but what seems obvious solutions for Soviet crafts:

1. Progress capsules - these can either be perishable (no return), as you can mostly extract the experiments and load them into manned capsules for reentry, or you can recover the entire capsule (which is unprogresslike, but hey), or you could develop something like the Raduga (how, I'm not sure, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort)

2. TKS modules - just a "cargo module" loaded with the experiment. You could base this one off the current cargo module (in fact a "native" experiment capsule fits just snugly inside as is), just fill the inside with some gubbins that would look experiment-like. Manual extraction before reentry would be required, of course.

As to the new experiments - why not start off the MIR experiments themselves? Kvant-2 had a quail-hatching experiment, that sounds pretty much like the kibbal ones in SS. Kristall - material processing (a new experiment branch?) or electric-related stuff (like the quarks or whatever in SS). Spektr seems to be focused on Earth research, so it should have some sort of experiment for analysing the parent body it is orbiting. Priroda also focused on the Earth, so it could be a complement/expansion to Spektr.

Of course, there could be more than just this - a bigger Eureka generator than the Kvant-1, and alternatives for the other modules from SS... then one would want to build something like this ;)

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/timelines/mir-ghost.jpg

A TKS-like module is tempting :)

I think your idea of repeating the MIR experiments is pretty solid and it was brought up before. That could be done!

Still need more Mir Parts though, I suppose.

Also, Niemand303's video seems to have disappeared, but it was some stellar work! Really awesome use of the new camera plugin.

Anyway...

Here is the stage II engine for the Proton.

Not quite done yet, but its shaping up fairly well.

Based on Ste1701's screenshots from orbiter, thanks for the help!

It's 800 Polygons, probably the highest number I've ever used :sealed:

e9b44db594.jpg

Edited by Beale

Also, Niemand303's video seems to have disappeared, but it was some stellar work! Really awesome use of the new camera plugin.

Thanks, it was actually broken by YouTube (cut to 5 seconds), so I'm reuploading it and will put it back in the comments.

And the engine looks nice, hope seeing it soon!

Edit: here it is!

Edited by Niemand303

Thanks, it was actually broken by YouTube (cut to 5 seconds), so I'm reuploading it and will put it back in the comments.

And the engine looks nice, hope seeing it soon!

Edit: here it is!

There it is! You don't mind if I stick it on the first page?

Everything is looking great Beale. Definitely got one of the best, well rounded part packs out there.

Very kind to hear! Many thanks! :)

Edited by Beale

sweet jesus Beale you are having there a nice second stage engine :D

Thanks!

VAB with fairings (Cygnus payload).

289c346866.jpg

Launch

f05b4c820f.jpg

Disconnect

bb3b103eb4.jpg

9136fa38d0.jpg

Firing 2nd stage

fd3b056a4e.jpg

Cygnus on a Sun escape trajectory

eb53f0eb10.jpg

Edit:

updated fairing to cross structure

f667c1c082.jpg

Edited by Beale

Looks cool! Did TKS made it to the orbit? :D

Trans-Munar! eh... Balance might be needing a second look, not sure I implemented your numbers correctly.

Perhaps the Proton could support the Soyuz and Progress spacecraft? Also, will the Proton have a third stage like the irl Proton does?

Yeah :) For the first release at least, it will be Proton only. Of course people can use other mod packs for their Soyuz rocket!

The Proton will have a third stage, yes :)