[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Oh, a stockalike Saturn IB would be awesome to have! Anyone by chance know where to find one?

Well, I'm still working on a stockalike Saturn I, Saturn IB, Little Joe II, and possibly Apollo CSM and CM Boilerplate. It's going slow, but right now I have the S-IVB tank, J-2 engine, S-IV tank, and Little Joe II modelled.

I'm so excited for the Big-G! Gemini is definitely my favorite NASA program. If you're going down the road of what-if crafts, General Electric's Apollo D-2 is interesting... :wink:

http://up-ship.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sdwg17ani.jpg

It was GE's proposal for the Apollo CM. The Soyuz follows the same principle with attachable, customizable mission modules onto a standard reentry capsule. It had more internal volume and would have supposedly been cheaper than the NASA design, yet NASA eventually went forward with theirs.

Also, I might have found a bug with the "prosper" probe. I was making an RT network using the new "prosper", and it seems that the modeled-in solar panels act directionally, no matter the actual in-game sun exposure (only one side of the model actually generates electricity). The exposure % peaks at one certain angle, then tapers off when rotating in either direction away from that angle. I'm not aware if you already knew about this or not.

Must be new here. Beale had already created this spacecraft and has since pulled it from the Tantares roster because of issues with the fairings. The only Spica pics I could find in these 800 pages of awesome

Well, I'm still working on a stockalike Saturn I, Saturn IB, Little Joe II, and possibly Apollo CSM and CM Boilerplate. It's going slow, but right now I have the S-IVB tank, J-2 engine, S-IV tank, and Little Joe II modelled.

Oh, really? Sweet! I'm excited to see how it turns out! Good luck, buddy!

Must be new here. Beale had already created this spacecraft and has since pulled it from the Tantares roster because of issues with the fairings. The only Spica pics I could find in these 800 pages of awesome

Ive been here for awhile, but that must have been before me! Thats a shame, maybe one day though.

Still, there are e-charge problems with the prosper.

No worries, the model remains the same.

So I could potentially save the current texture out and re add it to future releases?

Just playing about with an "advanced" Gemini configuration the Air Force came up with during a spitball session.

http://i.imgur.com/GfW2acG.png

http://i.imgur.com/v5NweSy.png

Sort of a Gemini on its way to Apollo, after getting distracted by Soyuz. :D

Of course, the Air Force lads had it fitted out as a tactical orbital weapons platform. Mine just sails along peacefully, content in its toothless state. Unless I accidentally bash into something...

That looks genuinely fun to fly :)

First of all I want to thank you for all the work you put into this, Beale. Tantares is my favourite parts mod for KSP... in fact I think I could throw away all the other parts mods, and still have an entertaining time with just Tantares and stock. But I can't imagine playing without Tantares! :)

That's because I really like space stations, and building them is one of the primary things that brought me into KSP (not that I'm good at this, mind you, because I'm not, yet.) And obviously, if we're talking about space stations, then most of the time it'll the Soviet designs.. Almaz, Salyut, Mir. Add to that a Soyuz, a TKS, and that's the KSP I want! :wink: Now, what I will say next might've been brought up already so I'll be repetitive and annoying, but it's impossible to read all 810+ pages of this thread... though I must say I've read a lot anyway.

1) PPTS is the craft I'm most excited about, hopefully I will be able to put my hands on it soon! I desperately need some big crewed capsules. How's the progress? :) (If it's being developed, because that's what I've read at least.)

2) There were a few weird things happening with Tantares parts, but I don't think I have enough evidence to file bug reports, as I didn't check them thoroughly, just noticed during gameplay, but..:

The TKS capsule was behaving strange on reentry (I'd post a screenshot, but I was entering the atmosphere in the dark, so not much can be seen; anyway the capsule was almost "top-down". It was just the capsule, TK parachute and 2 drogue chutes. IIRC the same capsule with PP+ chute worked perfectly, so weight issues caused by the TK chute?)

Also, the Quantum lab wasn't producing any science, (rate of 0.0000), is there a minimum of scientists (besides the first) required or a minimum level or some othee requirement?

3) The TAC-LS config is incomplete (many parts are missing), and most those that are included have strikingly small life supplies. Now I'm saying from memory, but I think it was Pol, Capella, and HAMAL modules specifically, having so little resources that they were basically useless. Had to edit it. :)

4) The two TKS orbital modules are basically the same, both housing two Kerbals, and containing the same amount of life support. AFAIK only KIS volume is different (and size, cost, and weight.) It makes the bigger module kind of useless.

5) Are you planning to make IVAs for TKS capsule, as well as the crew/orbital blocks for example? I'm mostly concerned about TKS, since I'm slowly moving from 100% Soyuz to 50/50 with TKS (I love this craft, it's kind of crazy :D), and not being able to control the craft from the inside using RPM is something I miss. :)

Okay, even IF I remembered what else I wanted to write after my month of playing with Tantares, I wouldn't. Don't want to overwhelm. ;)

TL;DR: It's an amazing mod, keep up the good work, you're great! :D

Also, high five.

I remember you saying Tantares was/is/going to be a standalone mod.

How can you make launch sites without KerbinSide?

Ah, sorry I say it wrong:

I mean, a set of launch pads will not be bundled with Tantares (distributed separately with KK dependency).

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/b/bigcutaw.jpg

There is actually two configs - one is for Titan III and the second is for Saturn IB or V:

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/b/bigaltcf.jpg

Not so huge, I think - it would be about the size of stock 2.5-3.75m adapter (Saturn version; Titan version can possibly be done with stock or other parts, except maybe retro pack)

We need two parts, though - a small 2.5m retro pack (attached to capsule) and the cargo module itself, with some space for retro pack and built-in decoupler on 2.5m side. Functions as a KIS container and as a LF\OX\Mono tank. You can place docking port (1.25m standard, you can use Tantares adapters to get 0.9 or 0.625) on 3.75m side, along with some engines (I can't find any info on engine placement, though)

Nice diagrams! Thanks! :)

I will say am more drawn to the Saturn IB/V design, even though it would involve more work...

*an unknown hatch opens and T'Flok floats out of it* Oh' date=' wow. I like all the new upcoming stuff, Beale! Big G will give me enough reason to build something new with Gemini but I've been mainly waiting for the Vostok revamp and the atomic engine. :D[/quote']

Getting close! :)

The fairing and upper stage is setup!

24d2fdec8a.jpg

I'm so excited for the Big-G! Gemini is definitely my favorite NASA program. If you're going down the road of what-if crafts, General Electric's Apollo D-2 is interesting... :wink:

It was GE's proposal for the Apollo CM. The Soyuz follows the same principle with attachable, customizable mission modules onto a standard reentry capsule. It had more internal volume and would have supposedly been cheaper than the NASA design, yet NASA eventually went forward with theirs.

Also, I might have found a bug with the "prosper" probe. I was making an RT network using the new "prosper", and it seems that the modeled-in solar panels act directionally, no matter the actual in-game sun exposure (only one side of the model actually generates electricity). The exposure % peaks at one certain angle, then tapers off when rotating in either direction away from that angle. I'm not aware if you already knew about this or not.

I adore the D2 - really grew to love it as developing it, some more shots (of course my old modelling skills could not do the craft justice).

450f5cbdba.jpg

But, as Gristle says - the fairing bug was just horrible, game breaking.

Maybe that has been fixed?

Maybe I should try again...

Not until after PPTS :wink:

Just playing about with an "advanced" Gemini configuration the Air Force came up with during a spitball session.

http://i.imgur.com/GfW2acG.png

http://i.imgur.com/v5NweSy.png

Sort of a Gemini on its way to Apollo, after getting distracted by Soyuz. :D

Of course, the Air Force lads had it fitted out as a tactical orbital weapons platform. Mine just sails along peacefully, content in its toothless state. Unless I accidentally bash into something...

Heh!

Nice!

These? I am really a fan of these concepts...

20350f3de2.jpg

So I could potentially save the current texture out and re add it to future releases?

Yep :)

I will say am more drawn to the Saturn IB/V design, even though it would involve more work...

Cool, maybe if I finish my Saturn IB it can complement the Big G! I've seen some concepts for using a Gemini and Saturn IB for moon flyby missions too!

Tantares 29

Really quite large update...

Find any bugs, let me know :)

27/06/2015

• 1.0.4 Compatibility.
  • Added Big-G crew capsule.
  • Added revamped Vostok spacecraft.
  • Added revamped Vostok launcher upper stage.
  • Added Shenzou orbital module.
  • Added NERVA-Alike.
  • Added Revamped VA capsule and tower.
  • Added Apollo antenna.
  • Added Mars-3 Dish.
  • Added alternate Blue and Green textures.

c6669555ed.jpg

First of all I want to thank you for all the work you put into this, Beale. Tantares is my favourite parts mod for KSP... in fact I think I could throw away all the other parts mods, and still have an entertaining time with just Tantares and stock. But I can't imagine playing without Tantares! :)

That's because I really like space stations, and building them is one of the primary things that brought me into KSP (not that I'm good at this, mind you, because I'm not, yet.) And obviously, if we're talking about space stations, then most of the time it'll the Soviet designs.. Almaz, Salyut, Mir. Add to that a Soyuz, a TKS, and that's the KSP I want! :wink: Now, what I will say next might've been brought up already so I'll be repetitive and annoying, but it's impossible to read all 810+ pages of this thread... though I must say I've read a lot anyway.

1) PPTS is the craft I'm most excited about, hopefully I will be able to put my hands on it soon! I desperately need some big crewed capsules. How's the progress? :) (If it's being developed, because that's what I've read at least.)

2) There were a few weird things happening with Tantares parts, but I don't think I have enough evidence to file bug reports, as I didn't check them thoroughly, just noticed during gameplay, but..:

The TKS capsule was behaving strange on reentry (I'd post a screenshot, but I was entering the atmosphere in the dark, so not much can be seen; anyway the capsule was almost "top-down". It was just the capsule, TK parachute and 2 drogue chutes. IIRC the same capsule with PP+ chute worked perfectly, so weight issues caused by the TK chute?)

Also, the Quantum lab wasn't producing any science, (rate of 0.0000), is there a minimum of scientists (besides the first) required or a minimum level or some othee requirement?

3) The TAC-LS config is incomplete (many parts are missing), and most those that are included have strikingly small life supplies. Now I'm saying from memory, but I think it was Pol, Capella, and HAMAL modules specifically, having so little resources that they were basically useless. Had to edit it. :)

4) The two TKS orbital modules are basically the same, both housing two Kerbals, and containing the same amount of life support. AFAIK only KIS volume is different (and size, cost, and weight.) It makes the bigger module kind of useless.

5) Are you planning to make IVAs for TKS capsule, as well as the crew/orbital blocks for example? I'm mostly concerned about TKS, since I'm slowly moving from 100% Soyuz to 50/50 with TKS (I love this craft, it's kind of crazy :D), and not being able to control the craft from the inside using RPM is something I miss. :)

Okay, even IF I remembered what else I wanted to write after my month of playing with Tantares, I wouldn't. Don't want to overwhelm. ;)

TL;DR: It's an amazing mod, keep up the good work, you're great! :D

Also, high five.

Hello! Welcome! And thanks!

1. It is full in development now - this is the best reference for idea how it may look.

3ae6812094.jpg

2. TKS capsule, might be a centre of lift issue - I will check it out, thanks!

Lab - my station science config might be out of date (haven't used the mod for a while, sorry!) I'll check what the issue is. IIRC it only require one scientist in the lab.

3. I'll take a look, never played with TAC so I'm not sure... quite what numbers are good.

4. Yep, need to change these, thanks to remind me.

5. TKS IVA is next (And Vostok needs one). I'm holding off of IVA for parts that aren't a control part for memory concerns.

Thanks for feedback! :)

Edited by Beale

Tantares 29

27/06/2015

• 1.0.4 Compatibility.
  • Added NERVA-Alike.
  • Added Apollo antenna.
  • Added Mars-3 Dish.

Oh yeah :cool: Many thanks Beale for your work !

Edited by Herr Rictus Bingo

Hey Beale, your Soyuz Module is giving me this error:" FXModuleAnimateThrottle.OnUpdate "

i dunno if other parts give the same errors.

the error has something to do with this:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96795-SOLVED-Part-with-animation-not-loading

update: seems like the longshot SM has the same bug

Edited by MK3424

Tantares 29

27/06/2015

• 1.0.4 Compatibility.
  • Added NERVA-Alike.
  • Added Apollo antenna.
  • Added Mars-3 Dish.

Also any one using RemoteTech be sure to let me know how the new config works out. It may need to be rebalanced with the addition of two new antenna.

(Edit - Having looked at it a bit closer I defiantly have a bit of balance work to do.)

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

Tantares 29

Find any bugs, let me know k_smiley.gif

27/06/2015

• 1.0.4 Compatibility.
  • Added NERVA-Alike.
  • Added Apollo antenna.
  • Added Mars-3 Dish.

Oh, nice! Awesome thing is, just right now before pressing the refresh page button I had a really good intuitive feeling that Beale had released a new version. It's not the first time I've done such a thing, sometimes it just happens out of blue. Anyway, Thanks once again Beale! Will look forward to TKS IVA and Vostok's IVA. :)

I haven't tried the last update but at least last time I played I noticed some mod-support configs are messed up, mostly the capsules that have way too little life support supplies when using TACls (a soyuz replica has supplies for around 4 days while in reality it should have enough for about 3 months) and there was an antenna that apparently had no RemoteTech support.

I had no concept of how often I used the almach hoop antenna until 14 out of 15 craft failed to load :(. That said, at least it was just a folder structure issue and have at least recovered my saved craft in the VAB.

On a side note.

I haven't tried the last update but at least last time I played I noticed some mod-support configs are messed up, mostly the capsules that have way too little life support supplies when using TACls (a soyuz replica has supplies for around 4 days while in reality it should have enough for about 3 months) and there was an antenna that apparently had no RemoteTech support.

This was the first release of my updated RemoteTech config and it already needs updating. I hope to have a fix for it before the end of the day. I too have noted the rather out of date TACLS config and may start work on that one as well but I can't tell you when that will be ready if ever.

Another bash at the Advanced Gemini I tried yesterday. Beale's Big G made it easy!

ndWQLQD.jpg

xsMzjyU.jpg

aIJd5lZ.jpg

I got her aloft aboard a bespoke Saturn 1-JP. The JP stands for "jiggery-pokery", as that's what it took a lot of to get the power curves right.

Tantares 29

27/06/2015

• 1.0.4 Compatibility.
  • Added NERVA-Alike.
  • Added Apollo antenna.
  • Added Mars-3 Dish.

Just broke a bunch of my craft files with missing Almach B parts. :( Is this intentional? If so, any chance for a legacy folder? And maybe at least a warning label. ;)

Just broke a bunch of my craft files with missing Almach B parts. :( Is this intentional? If so, any chance for a legacy folder? And maybe at least a warning label. ;)

You can get previous versions on KerbalStuff. Download the previous version, remove affected parts, and then rebuild! May want to take a screenshot or two of your old craft to help you update.

EDIT: Oh, wow. That update just about broke everything. Anything that used the Vostok MP spheres or the Vostok hoop antenna is now broken. Was there any reason the part names had to change? It's a really prolific amount of brokenness. What's your current naming convention?

Could be a while until the craft files get updated. :(

Edited by curtquarquesso

You can get previous versions on KerbalStuff. Download the previous version, remove affected parts, and then rebuild! May want to take a screenshot or two of your old craft to help you update.

Thanks for the heads up. Never used KS to download previous versions before.

EDIT: Oh, wow. That update just about broke everything. Anything that used the Vostok MP spheres or the Vostok hoop antenna is now broken. Was there any reason the part names had to change? It's a really prolific amount of brokenness. What's your current naming convention?

Sorry, I'll reply to all others later - this is an urgent one.

En masse request to not break old craft files, a new naming convention was used - this means the old parts can be used with the new parts with no clashing.

I.E. Almach_Crew_A and Vostok_Crew_A may be present in the same game save.

I.E.2. You can load your crafts with the old parts, swap in the new and then delete the old parts (awkward I know, but prevents truly broken craft files).

Nicely done, Beale!

Oh' date=' nice! Awesome thing is, just right now before pressing the refresh page button I had a really good intuitive feeling that Beale had released a new version. It's not the first time I've done such a thing, sometimes it just happens out of blue. Anyway, Thanks once again Beale! Will look forward to TKS IVA and Vostok's IVA. :)[/quote']

Many thanks! :)

Is that right? I thought the 3 month figure was in Dormant mode while berthed to a space station?

Vostok Service module has no resources yet is presented in propulsion category. Is it intentional or not?

Looks nice so far.

Ack!

Yes, mistake there.

Will fix.

Another bash at the Advanced Gemini I tried yesterday. Beale's Big G made it easy!

http://i.imgur.com/ndWQLQD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xsMzjyU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aIJd5lZ.jpg

I got her aloft aboard a bespoke Saturn 1-JP. The JP stands for "jiggery-pokery", as that's what it took a lot of to get the power curves right.

Glad to see it used so quickly! :)

Nice little jiggery-pokery craft there!

Nicely done, Beale!

Oh' date=' nice! Awesome thing is, just right now before pressing the refresh page button I had a really good intuitive feeling that Beale had released a new version. It's not the first time I've done such a thing, sometimes it just happens out of blue. Anyway, Thanks once again Beale! Will look forward to TKS IVA and Vostok's IVA. :)[/quote']

Vostok Service module has no resources yet is presented in propulsion category. Is it intentional or not?

Looks nice so far.

http://i.imgur.com/ndWQLQD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xsMzjyU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aIJd5lZ.jpg

Hey Beale, your Soyuz Module is giving me this error:" FXModuleAnimateThrottle.OnUpdate "

i dunno if other parts give the same errors.

the error has something to do with this:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96795-SOLVED-Part-with-animation-not-loading

update: seems like the longshot SM has the same bug

Hmmm, odd. This is a new one.

I'll have a dig around :)

Edited by Beale

Sorry, I'll reply to all others later - this is an urgent one.

En masse request to not break old craft files, a new naming convention was used - this means the old parts can be used with the new parts with no clashing.

I.E. Almach_Crew_A and Vostok_Crew_A may be present in the same game save.

Ah, ok. So, what you're saying, is that people still wanted to use the old parts, so if they go into the Tantares folder, and add the old Vostok/Almach parts to the directory, they won't conflict with the new ones?

So, if I add the old parts back into the game temporarily so I can load my crafts, I can swap all the places of the older parts?