[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Progress, literally!

Took a break from TKS to do the progress core (still need to do the upper bit and the side bags).

This will be a nice mini project.

Testing probe vehicles is really hard when you don't have an up and running remote tech network.

It's based on the older designs, that is, sans the modern thermal blanket.

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/p/progbig.gif

http://puu.sh/awfxw/48c293ef67.jpg

http://puu.sh/awfDC/87094cf933.jpg

http://puu.sh/awfHw/3f677ba2c1.jpg

http://puu.sh/awfJl/98723836a5.jpg

Am I going to do Kliper? ayy lmao

I'd say a little taller. Ok, maybe A lot taller. Don't just make a cone, make a short cone on a cylinder. It will look better. And thanks for accepting the friend request.

Don't just make a cone, make a short cone on a cylinder.

It already is.

28f9d8daec.jpg

7b28b4dd1d.jpg

I've decided unique Soyuz docking ports are now needed, so the CLS folks can use them to make passable docks (the stock 0.625m port is impassable).

It already is.

http://puu.sh/awlb0/28f9d8daec.jpg

http://puu.sh/awlnt/7b28b4dd1d.jpg

I've decided unique Soyuz docking ports are now needed, so the CLS folks can use them to make passable docks (the stock 0.625m port is impassable).

WAIT. To make a cylinder and a cone, let them be two different parts, and the cone be storage, and the cylinder be the probe core! Cause they stored stuff inside the progress! I'm a freaking genius!

Along those lines.... How are crews supposed to get between the Tantates OM and CM? The IVA for the Orbital Module shows a bulkhead on the floor, while egress from the Crew Module is blocked by a huge control panel. ;) (And they clearly aren't hiding helmets inside there, so EVA would be... messy.)

Looking forward to another docking port. The SoyJuice one is nice as a Soyuz, but too big for the Tantares.... Are you considering a size between 1.5 and 0.625?

Nice Progress core! Maybe a bit tall, though. And what are these little antennas on the side?

They better have a firm release date - I've just cancelled launch of station core segment built with Tantares in mind :)

WAIT. To make a cylinder and a cone, let them be two different parts, and the cone be storage, and the cylinder be the probe core! Cause they stored stuff inside the progress! I'm a freaking genius!

I guess the idea here is to use other 1.25m cylindrical parts (fuel, RCS, Station Science experiments, life support containers, US wedges, etc) to make your own payload.

Along those lines.... How are crews supposed to get between the Tantates OM and CM? The IVA for the Orbital Module shows a bulkhead on the floor, while egress from the Crew Module is blocked by a huge control panel. ;) (And they clearly aren't hiding helmets inside there, so EVA would be... messy.)

Looking forward to another docking port. The SoyJuice one is nice as a Soyuz, but too big for the Tantares.... Are you considering a size between 1.5 and 0.625?

Eheheh, the IVAs don't make sense in this regard, you're absolutely right.

The docking port should be compatible with the stock 0.625m

Nice Progress core! Maybe a bit tall, though. And what are these little antennas on the side?

They better have a firm release date - I've just cancelled launch of station core segment built with Tantares in mind :)

I guess the idea here is to use other 1.25m cylindrical parts (fuel, RCS, Station Science experiments, life support containers, US wedges, etc) to make your own payload.

Thanks!

The antennas are from remote tech.

As for release of docking ports, whatever the case they will "dock" with the stock 0.625m ports as well as the Soyuz female port, so the Tantares will still be able to dock with older stations.

Case of Progress payload is tricky for me. I like the dedicated probe core, I'll give it KAS space. There will also be a very short "cone" probe.

regarding the EVA of teh tantares. in the movie "Gravitiy", there you can see a nice shot of teh inside of teh Soyuz (and Shenzu). the cosonauts are laying on their back. teh hatch is on the top and the controllpanel is slightly angled on the side. in reallife, cosmonauts use a telescopic stick to help to push button.

Progress on Progress

That looks cool!

I've tested the TKS and it's great!

I have also created a TKS-derived station module:

eBw6Qup.jpg

I think that using the Vega, the TKS and some creativity it should be possible to build the whole MIR...

That looks cool!

http://i.imgur.com/eBw6Qup.jpg

I think that using the Vega, the TKS and some creativity it should be possible to build the whole MIR...

If you want to create Zvezda, Replace that cone with a 6-way hub, and give it the stock giant solar panels.

EDIT: And can we get a black thermal blanket scheme of the Progress? And will it be compatible with KAS and TAC/ECLSS?

Edited by Reichtangle

That looks cool!

http://i.imgur.com/eBw6Qup.jpg

Thanks!

That looks sweet!

The ultimate "end-goal" I suppose now is MIR. That is how this mod has developed it seems (not that I dislike that).

Of course the Salyut is due a make-over which should make any MIR replicas look better.

Dedicated MIR parts, which I think are kinda needed, should be a goal.

I still have your request for an alternate Salyut texture on the back-burner! :)

EDIT: And can we get a black thermal blanket scheme of the Progress? And will it be compatible with KAS and TAC/ECLSS?

Thermal blanket is a no, I notice you have asked the same of OrionKermin and I give the same answer, it would require a new mesh and a completely new texture. Both of which are quite labour heavy tasks.

Maybe in the distant future when my texture skills improve, fabrics are quite difficult to draw well :) .

For mod support, it will support KAS, DR, RemoteTech2 and CLS out of the box.

Of course all of this mod support is optional, the @part adjustments will only take effect if you have the mod installed :)

Life support compatibility is up in the air, I know nothing about any life support mods (which is the most commonly used, etc.) so I wouldn't know how to begin.

Edited by Beale

Well, are we at least getting a black scheme?

Hi!

Sure :)

Or in practical terms, very dark grey.

Along with White and Green as standard Alt. colours.

White makes the parts blend in with stock a bit better actually, but for me Grey is sticking as the default.

Stick 'em with the pointy end.

This is the Tantares Docking Port.

It's compatible with stock 0.625m ports and an upcoming "female" port of the same design.

With all this small work I may do another Beta.

fbf6178063.jpg

9a3a018617.jpg

Docked in VLKO ( Using Low Gravity )

a10f6aafba.jpg

ukzh5xb.jpg

Edited by Beale

Will the Progress OM be enterable?

Not planning on it, its main purpose will be a KAS container (or fuel / monopropellant tank for those without KAS).

And shouldn't the female port be extended? To accommodate the probe of the male?

( á° Üʖ á°)

Yeah I suppose it should.

Not planning on it, its main purpose will be a KAS container (or fuel / monopropellant tank for those without KAS).
Well, the CM should be filled with those volatile explosives. The progress OM should be enterable, and filed with suppliy and food props.

EDIT: And how are dem Alnair IVAs? Started working on the other ones? Or still working on the VA IVA?

EDIT ZWEI: If you look at this picture:soyokfem.jpg You will get an idea of how big the female docking port was.

Edited by Reichtangle

Well, the CM should be filled with those volatile explosives. The progress OM should be enterable, and filed with suppliy and food props.

EDIT: And how are dem Alnair IVAs? Started working on the other ones? Or still working on the VA IVA?

EDIT ZWEI: If you look at this picture:http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/s/soyokfem.jpg You will get an idea of how big the female docking port was.

The OM will be "enter able" in the regard that Kerbals can "open" it up and retrieve its contents (KAS).

The Alnair IVAs are still coming along, worry not!

And for the female docking port, I probably will go for something less extreme.

Very nice. This new port is intended to be CLS/Kerbal-passable, yes?

Yes, the CLS included in the next release will default these ports to pass-able (keeping the stock ports un-touched by my mod)

normally, I wouldn't look at or even use a mod that implements Russian spacecraft, (NASA/ESA all the way!) but this pack is so awesome, I had to make a exemption.

thank you so much for making this.

Edited by gooddog15
Typo

about the female docking port: reichtangle had shown the female port of the first soviet docking device for soyuz (7K-OK ship). it was just a mechincal docking device with NO hatch inside, just for connecting the two ships. the current (not APAS or NASA-ports) has a male with the more likely short probe and the female, but the hatch of the female has a cone pointing to the inside for teh probe of teh male ... well you get teh idea male - female and ... bees and flowers *cough* docking in space with russian ships is so perverted ...

Soyuz TMA is equip with a male port with probe, the probe will guide the two ports into position and like a piston will reatract into a close position, so the hateches can be open:

p117.jpg

currently, there is no other dockingport for Soyuz then the male/female version. it needs to dock with the fmeale ports on the ISS. there is a new plan for a universal androgyn docking port for a more standarized spaceexploration. NASA was thinking about adding an adapter to all NASA pots for this new APAS like port which can be teh active or passive part.

there were a APAS port for the Soyuz twice in history, one for the apollo-soyuz project (APAS-75) and one for the Soyuz which served as emergency lifeboat ready to be launched for the testpilotes of the Buran orbiter. the soyuz was equiped with a APAS-89. only few ships were ever build with the APAS ports and not every of them were flown.

Edited by Darth Lazarus

normally, I wouldn't look at or even use a mod that implements Russian spacecraft, (NASA/ESA all the way!) but this pack is so awesome, I had to make a exemption.

thank you so much for making this.

Haha! Nice to hear.

Very good looking models. This mod is definitely going to be a part of my next KSP install once I get it setup

Nice to hear, thanks!

Alnair IVA WIP

This is the mid-section IVA, does it look familiar to something else?

3297afc574.jpg

8c9e2f4736.jpg

Edited by Beale