[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Don't know what colour hydrogen peroxide is supposed to burn

Black-Arrow-Clears-Tower-Nicholas-Hill.jpg

Nearly transparent, there are actually other images around where the vehicle seems to be flying on magic.

What a pity they mothballed the project... Those things are somehow overly british.

About Tantares.28.2 A small cosmetic thing what u can doo to clean pack:

In > Tantares\Parts\TKS\Alnair_Crew_C\ u have:

Alnair_Crew_C_psd.mbm & Alnair_Crew_C_psd.dds

emissive.mbm & emissive.dds

In > Tantares\Parts\PROGRESS\

Hamal_Control_A_psd.mbm & Hamal_Control_A_psd.dds

it not need to have bouth tipe, only DDS it will be fine, i know is not much but less file to add on MM faster load & clean game data base :)

emissive.mbm there are in few other place duplicate aka mbs & dds

nice work

my motto: clean pack > less error > faster load > easy to debug other problem & all will be happy

cya take care

Basically, the higher the ratio between the diameter and the height, the greater the volume will increase when you scale it up. For example, if you had a 1.25m diameter tank that was 4m high, it would have a volume of roughly 4.9m^3 If I increased the diameter by 150%, I would similarly have to increase the height by 150% to keep it proportioned. So my cylinder would now be 1.875m by 6m. The volume of that cylinder is now 16.567m^3. If I make a ratio, and multiply by 100%, I get a volume percent increase of 338%, not 150%. It is definitely not linear.

If I increase the ratio of diameter to height, that percentage of change in volume with scaling increases. Basically, the more different the height and the width, the more drastic the change in volume. It's weird. It's intuitive for some people, and not for others. I really had to think about it for a minute actually. Apparently, TweakScale does this for you by default, though you can Tweak TweakScale to scale things differently, like generators, resources, lift surfaces, etc.

Disclaimer: this went off the rails a bit from when I started typing. Sorry Beale/all the readers, hope it's legible!

Cylinders are easy: they're stacked circles. :D so, area of a circle times height. Pi * r^2 * h, where pi is... Er... Pi, r is your radius, (or, diameter over 2: r = d/2) and h is the height of the cylinder. Soooooo, a 50% increase in diameter... Hrm.

d=2r. 2d=4r. 1.5d=3r. If h=1... Diameter of 1 meter, height of 1 meter gives a cylinder of... .5^2 * pi... 0.78 m^3. Diameter of 1.5 meter gives... 0.75 * pi ... 1.76 m^3.

Hmm. The relationship escapes me, despite the simple equation. volume goes up as the square of the diameter? I think that is what is going on here.

Not so simple math question! Simple to calculate though, albeit tough to estimate easily ( at least for me >< ).

If Someone is more gifted at arithmetic than I, please feel free to bail me out here! (Also, it's 12:30 am, so that might be part of it too :P )

Edit: right, 1.76/.75 = 2.25 = 1.5^2, so yes, volume goes as the square of the diameter. Well. Radius/2. Gahhhhh-----

Thanks! Yes this will be handy for the 1.875m tanks. :)

I don't know if this is solved, but whenever I try to extend the Soyuz's satellite dish, it wouldn't.

I did it manually and the option isn't there, so I don't know if it is a plugin interfering it or something else is happening.

Using Remote Tech?

This problem happened before - a naughty MM patch was causing it. I'll see what the problem is.

Very nice!

To orbit, or to land? :)

Where can I get the green textures? Are those the old alternates on the new parts?

I'll get those together soon! No worries.

http://hydrogen-peroxide.us/history-UK/Black-Arrow-Clears-Tower-Nicholas-Hill.jpg

Nearly transparent, there are actually other images around where the vehicle seems to be flying on magic.

What a pity they mothballed the project... Those things are somehow overly british.

Oh, that's wonderful!

Thanks for the pic. Should be able to replicate that effect!

About Tantares.28.2 A small cosmetic thing what u can doo to clean pack:

In > Tantares\Parts\TKS\Alnair_Crew_C\ u have:

Alnair_Crew_C_psd.mbm & Alnair_Crew_C_psd.dds

emissive.mbm & emissive.dds

In > Tantares\Parts\PROGRESS\

Hamal_Control_A_psd.mbm & Hamal_Control_A_psd.dds

it not need to have bouth tipe, only DDS it will be fine, i know is not much but less file to add on MM faster load & clean game data base :)

emissive.mbm there are in few other place duplicate aka mbs & dds

nice work

my motto: clean pack > less error > faster load > easy to debug other problem & all will be happy

cya take care

Nice catch, fixed :)

Okay!

Prospero!

Or some approximation, like a hybrid baby with Telstar.

It's not exceptionally detailed, but made entirely with leftover texture crevices, so, why not?

If you are using remote tech, I think you will really love this :wink:

Also, to include a I will have some linear RCS thrusters for ascent control (The Black Prince engines don't have gimbals here).

Edit: Actually I'm going to completely re-do this, it's not close enough to Prospero...

d5d9f8b329.jpg

8085b90056.jpg

a4954a5f91.jpg

Edited by Beale

That looks *really* shiny, even as is. You're right, for RT, it looks heaven sent! :D

Thanks!

But, it's reformed now.

Using much less texture space :)

42b0245171.jpg

0573f927d7.jpg

As a heads up, RLA has you covered for the final kick stage. I'm not sure if I'll be doing a black arrow - so maybe this is interesting.

4af13926ba.jpg

Edited by Beale

Thanks!

But, it's reformed now.

Using much less texture space :)

http://puu.sh/iclMc/42b0245171.jpg

http://puu.sh/icm5S/0573f927d7.jpg

As a heads up, RLA has you covered for the final kick stage. I'm not sure if I'll be doing a black arrow - so maybe this is interesting.

http://puu.sh/icm0D/4af13926ba.jpg

Darn, I was hoping to get a probe core that was at least 90% covered with solar cells. I mean, I can easily make something like that myself in KSP, except it would raise the part count a little.

Darn, I was hoping to get a probe core that was at least 90% covered with solar cells. I mean, I can easily make something like that myself in KSP, except it would raise the part count a little.

It's a fair point, usually my satellites end up looking like this:

d1844f8e22.jpg

But, I was unhappy that the last model was not very close to the IRL Prospero.

http://puu.sh/icm0D/4af13926ba.jpg

Great probe!

And to counter your heads-up - no, RLA hasn't you covered. The mod isn't updated for 1.0, and there is no ETA for update (Hoojiwana is working on it, though).

I tried downloading your craft files and the additional mods to accommodate them. However I couldn't get any of them to load. Some of the required mods are either not available or I couldn't find them. Could you please let me know where I could find them? I really like your space craft and landers, help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

E

Great probe!

And to counter your heads-up - no, RLA hasn't you covered. The mod isn't updated for 1.0, and there is no ETA for update (Hoojiwana is working on it, though).

Thanks!

And, apologies, I hadn't noticed that.

How's the FX? :)

It's a little difficult to get the hydrogen effect, but looks "okay".

c45b1f4c69.jpg

4091834ae5.jpg

Hi peepz, quite busy these past days so I didn't post much, I've seen some amazing work, models and pictures here :)

I appreciate both of your draws to the prospero satellite, but I prefer your first attempt, even if this one isn't the most similar to the real one, it's a beauty :D !

Whatever your choice is as long as it has the disco colourful stuff http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/my-isle-of-wight/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/IMG_1989.jpg !

I for one dig the exhaust effects on the new rocket. (I'm in chemistry: I have literally no idea what H2O2 looks like when it burns, we take extreme care to keep that from happening. Whomever thought it a good rocket fuel ... well, safer than LO2, I guess! :D )

Oh, that's wonderful!

Thanks for the pic. Should be able to replicate that effect!

Happy to have been helpful!

The FX looks pretty nice, I have to say. If I were you (but I have no idea how these things work, so excuse eventual idiocies) I'd do what happens during phisical timewarp with engine exhausts, when the FX are more spaced out, so you'll have the shock diamonds effect. Just my 0.02€ on the issue.

I'm in chemistry: I have literally no idea what H2O2 looks like when it burns, we take extreme care to keep that from happening. Whomever thought it a good rocket fuel ... well, safer than LO2, I guess! :D

I get you, bro. Once we had to run an experiment where a pretty large amount of H2O2 was produced. Some beckers didn't survived.

Also, I bet ya'll didn't know that the first monopropellant engine was powered by pure nitroglycerine XD

Finally placed my vote in that new poll.

I want to see Saturn I.

Not Saturn IB - Saturn I. There is only one mod (FASA) that features S-IB; there is no mods that feature the original Cluster's Last Stand. Also, it would introduce a new size, which seems to be the latest trend around there...

Cheap 3.75m rocket that would serve as "entry point" to 3.75m world, capable of delivering around 10 tons to LKO. Would be useful for wide, but light payloads.

Parts (from bottom to the top):

- 1st stage cluster engine: 8-nozzle assembly, mounting place for eight fins

- Fins: place 8 of them to make your S-I stable

- Fuel tank: Eight 1.25m tanks, placed on 1.25m tank in 8x symmetry. (The central tank would be obscured - meaning that you don't even need to model it)

- Decoupler: 3.75m-3.125m adapter\decoupler

- 2nd stage cluster engine: the original S-IV with 6x RL-10 (i.e. 6-nozzle assembly). 3.125m size.

- 3.125m fuel tank

- 3.125-2.5 adapter

- (Optional) It would be nice to get separate H-1 and RL-10 (especially RL-10, as it can be used to make Centaur).

- (Optional) 3.75m J-2 and 3.75m fuel tank, placed in later node (in order to make S-IB)

Edited by biohazard15

I want to see Saturn I.

Not Saturn IB - Saturn I. There is only one mod (FASA) that features S-IB; there is no mods that feature the original Cluster's Last Stand. Also, it would introduce a new size, which seems to be the latest trend around there...

Cheap 3.75m rocket that would serve as "entry point" to 3.75m world, capable of delivering around 10 tons to LKO. Would be useful for wide, but light payloads.

- Fuel tank: Eight 1.25m tanks, placed on 1.25m tank in 8x symmetry. (The central tank would be obscured - meaning that you don't even need to model it)

- 2nd stage cluster engine: the original S-IV with 6x RL-10 (i.e. 6-nozzle assembly). 3.125m size.

- 3.125m fuel tank

- 3.125-2.5 adapter

- (Optional) It would be nice to get separate H-1 and RL-10 (especially RL-10, as it can be used to make Centaur).

- (Optional) 3.75m J-2 and 3.75m fuel tank, placed in later node (in order to make S-IB)

Oooooooohhhh boy have I got a surprise for you... Give me about an hour, and I'll post the teaser for my next video.

I want to see Saturn I.

- 3.125m fuel tank

- 3.125-2.5 adapter

We could have this thing!Pegasus_satellite.jpg

Saturn 1 will rise...

Ooh, a Pegasus sat! Would be interesting to get an actual micro-meteoroid experiment (although we'll need to talk with plugin authors on that. DMagic could probably provide such things)

Also, that funny hexagon on RL-10's nozzles should be there!

S-IV_rocket_stage.jpg

Engine shroud should be made from 8 blow-out panels, just like these on LV-N (I believe that you don't need any plugin to make it work).

I want to see Saturn I.

- 3.125m fuel tank

- 3.125-2.5 adapter

Since I openly have a "all or nothing" opinion concerning new sizes I vote let's either completely flesh out or eliminate 0.9375m parts before delving into 3.125m its bad enough having one half finished size around :confused: speaking of which...

I see what you're saying - but, in the case of the TKS: it looks very very wrong with any other top size than 0.9375m. So it's difficult.

In more general case, it is either unpopular to rescale some parts to that size (V2), or I have absolutely no interest (Mig).

wait I missed this the first time I read this. with who was the 0.9m V2 idea unpopular? I didn't recall seeing any nay sayers in the thread did you get a bunch of those mysterious PM's again? if so did you get more specifically against rescaling the V2 despite it being too big compared to soyuz or were they just against more 0.9m parts in general.

either way the V2 was more or less one of the first sounding rocket it wouldn't look right if you could make an orbital rocket smaller than it meaning we'd never have a 0.9m launch vehicle if it stays at 1.25m which means the 0.9m would never be fleshed out enough to be worth the part catalog clutter.

I completed my Tantares ISS tonight. It still has one progress and one Soyuz docked. I'm not sure what to send up next. A shuttle?

This ISS was built after Beale's last update. I crashed the old one into Kerbin. :D

WLm5ULz.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Special thanks to @curtquarquesso for designing many of the Russian module parts.

I appreciate both of your draws to the prospero satellite, but I prefer your first attempt, even if this one isn't the most similar to the real one, it's a beauty :D !

Whatever your choice is as long as it has the disco colourful stuff http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/my-isle-of-wight/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/IMG_1989.jpg !

The first attempt had a few warping problems, disguised by my sneaky angled screenshots.

Something similar to that might come about again one day - as I look at some Phobos exploration concepts, there are similar designs :cool:

I want to see Saturn I.

- 3.125m fuel tank

- 3.125-2.5 adapter

Aaaah, I cannot do this rocket. I dislike it (The whole Saturn family to be honest).

Which is a shame, since you have fleshed out the plan for it so well... I do feel sorry.

I could see a Centaur being a cool small project, but it would be an upper stage without a rocket.

So I have to rule out making this (for now).

wait I missed this the first time I read this. with who was the 0.9m V2 idea unpopular? I didn't recall seeing any nay sayers in the thread did you get a bunch of those mysterious PM's again? if so did you get more specifically against rescaling the V2 despite it being too big compared to soyuz or were they just against more 0.9m parts in general.

either way the V2 was more or less one of the first sounding rocket it wouldn't look right if you could make an orbital rocket smaller than it meaning we'd never have a 0.9m launch vehicle if it stays at 1.25m which means the 0.9m would never be fleshed out enough to be worth the part catalog clutter.

No PMs about this, but rather my assumption that people dislike when I resize existing parts (as they should, it is a pain).

On the subject of PMs, I do regret doing the V2 entirely - I get a ton of private messages requesting German things of a particular era (How's that for a euphemism?).

I might re-model it to be closer to an R2 type thing, which would be a fine reason to rescale it!

15cd374740.jpg

I do agree a little that the current V2 is far too large. For a sounding rocket it shouldn't tower so greatly.

And, of course - the 0.9375m diameter needs a slight increase in catalog.

I completed my Tantares ISS tonight. It still has one progress and one Soyuz docked. I'm not sure what to send up next. A shuttle?

This ISS was built after Beale's last update. I crashed the old one into Kerbin. :D

http://i.imgur.com/WLm5ULz.png

http://imgur.com/a/E3250

Special thanks to @curtquarquesso for designing many of the Russian module parts.

That's very very pretty, I love it :)

A shuttle would be nice to see! I notice it is all Tantares parts too, might be fun to blast up a few Fus-Tek or SXT (is that up to date?) parts as USA segments!

I am a little pre-occupied making silly ZX-spectrum esque games at the moment :)

Mainly just an excercise in manipulating 2D arrays, file handling and whatever.

And my day-job now is providing strange pillow setups and shopping for food, so I am bored.

0761668046.png

Before anyone points it out, I know the resolution & colour depth here is too advanced for the ZX, more like a Nintendo Famicom, or one of the more expensive home PC systems.

But, I can't live without shading.

Edited by Beale

No Saturn I? You hate the whole Saturn family? May Wherner Von Braun cast you into the darkest part of Hell you monster!

Nah, I'm not that mad.

On a more serious note, How harddo you think it would be to model a Saturn I or IB? I have Wings3D on my computer now, and I've figured out a little bit of how it works, I might try and make it myself. :)

If you want it done right, you do it yourself.

No amount of apology or forgiveness can repair what you've said about the Saturn family. Von Braun is not pleased.