[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

So are those little labels on that part able to be toggled on or off?

Also congrats on the baby, Beale. Only just read about it now, super busy with my own wedding and back to school.

Many thanks! and best wishes for your wedding :)

About the decals, yes they can be toggled, they take the texture of the mission flag like some of the stock parts.

c74c5352ba.jpg

54f0e6d710.jpg

About the decals, yes they can be toggled, they take the texture of the mission flag like some of the stock parts.

http://puu.sh/kUKg6/c74c5352ba.jpg

http://puu.sh/kUKgH/54f0e6d710.jpg

Wow. Really like those rails in game as well. They add some nice detail. There are plenty of plain adapters already. It'll be nice to have a fancy one. :)

How about the docking mechanisms? Chance to look at the textures for those yet?

Wow. Really like those rails in game as well. They add some nice detail. There are plenty of plain adapters already. It'll be nice to have a fancy one. :)

How about the docking mechanisms? Chance to look at the textures for those yet?

Thanks!

Docking ports, there is an issue.

A little funny story for me personally, the problem is if you hard-dock the craft, then extend the probe again (I know it is told not to do this, but in the name of bug-hunting).

Reload this craft - it will explode into hundreds (or however many parts you use) pieces!

So, at the risk of destroying everyone's space stations, the soft dock functionality will have to be delayed :D

The new docking ports are looking great!

Sadly I wasn't able to find a working version of my LK-700 capsule part. Looks like I lost it in my last re-install. It wasn't anything fancy - basically this, but with the windows recessed slightly:

(an older auto-save I was able to recover of the part)

1z1woew.jpg

I still think it would be pretty simplistic for someone who knows what they're doing more than I do to model, the texture would probably be the most time consuming bit of work.

I will look into it.

This functionality may be covered by the RO patch now, I think.

It isn't covered by the RO patch, for sure. At least not when using RF and not RO.

There is a duplicate set of Tantares configs in RealFuels and the RealFuels Stockalike engine pack, and either yours or theirs has to be removed to avoid tanks and engines having two slightly different sets of configs. Leaving it in would fix this problem, but it definitely causes others.

Deleting yours and using theirs would presumably work too, but I'm the author of the TantaresLV config in RF (happened just days before your own RF config was introduced... I did tell them they could remove it, but it's still there ages later) so I tend to delete that side, as I trust your config more. Which gave me this engine not working... which I tracked down to this config line. After fixing it in my own copy everything works fine. :)

Edited by Maeyanie

pJ6Jzbg.png

First (and probably last) test simulation of the Eve Plane, intended to maker a short pass through the upper atmosphere of Eve before returning to orbit to rendezvous with the mission's mothership.

7xWFr4r.png

The plane has barely entered the atmosphere, but because of the orbit it descended from, it's already experiencing amtospheric heating. I probably should have know better than to fly a plane into Eve's mustard gas atmosphere!

pbkw5nL.png

Oh yeah, they aren't coming back from this one. What was I thinking?

9Vajm4q.png

Audio transcript from Mission Control: "Well, I'm not gonna lie to you guys, you're in hot water this time. Nobody ever said your job wasn't dangerous, but that's why they pay you guys the big bucks."

fmbTH5C.png

The cameras worn by the pilots show what appears to be the fire of Hell itself just outside the window. Remember, this is at an altitude higher than 60km.

5kJYB0p.png

Hey, at least the crew cabin survived. Beale really makes these things tough, doesn't he?

7J1Wk2E.png

With no engine left, the crew was forced to endure another pass through Eve's punishing heat. The second pass killed the orbit and caused the capsule to fall deeper into Eve's atmosphere, unable to escape. Strangely, it survived the brutal heat and made it to the lower atmosphere unscathed.

3Fk6vu0.png

Oh, hello, ground, almost didn't see you through all this purple gas. The atmosphere has slowed the capsule down to about 130 m/s, so one of the pilots decided to do something which has received generally negative views at KSC...

Xfsc3Jp.jpg

Audio log transcript: "See ya, sucker!" The left seat pilot has ejected and activated his orbital maneuvering thrusters, hoping the thick atmosphere can slow him down, while his "friend" plummets to his death several hundred meters below.

ZH8UMUn.png

The boffins in the lab speculate that the tense period of time that elapsed between the first and second atmospheric passes caused high levels of anxiety in this kerbal (what was his name again?). By the time the capsule had reached the lower atmosphere, he could no longer be considered sane. His decision to eject seems to be caused by the mental pressure applied over the last few hours.

Whatever, he survived. Woo, first EVA on another planet for me, even if this a simulation, and the Kerbal is stranded, and this wasn't supposed to happen in the first place. I'm probably not going to continue with the Eve plane, it doesn't have any real scientific value and can't get very far into the atmosphere anyway. A piece of junk, and a waste of my time.

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Thanks!

Docking ports, there is an issue.

A little funny story for me personally, the problem is if you hard-dock the craft, then extend the probe again (I know it is told not to do this, but in the name of bug-hunting).

Reload this craft - it will explode into hundreds (or however many parts you use) pieces!

So, at the risk of destroying everyone's space stations, the soft dock functionality will have to be delayed :D

This should be easily remedied. All I have to do is add a parameter to the config to get it to behave like one of the stock shielded docking ports that can't animate while docked. That would solve the issue I believe. I'll investigate and get back to you. :)

This should be easily remedied. All I have to do is add a parameter to the config to get it to behave like one of the stock shielded docking ports that can't animate while docked. That would solve the issue I believe. I'll investigate and get back to you. :)

I see the post in your thread, I will try to investigate also :)

What is this?

It's obvious, no?

f52b57c3f9.jpg

What is new is the "less awful" Windows. Accompany with a nice cramped IVA for maximum effect.

7e7ec9343d.png

Beale, with due respect... are they supposed to be lying, heads to the center, in a radial formation? Because it doesn't look quite tall enough for them to sit...

Hehehe, the Fuji has always had this problem.

The Kerbals lie in the centre. Which is why there is only room for two.

To be honest though, it is not significantly shorter than the VA for example :)

970c8f4592.jpg

9c23d4b719.jpg

Edited by Beale

http://puu.sh/kUKg6/c74c5352ba.jpg

http://puu.sh/kUKgH/54f0e6d710.jpg

ooh new solar panels and modules! can kerbals use the handrails?

Hehehe, the Fuji has always had this problem.

The Kerbals lie in the centre. Which is why there is only room for two.

To be honest though, it is not significantly shorter than the VA for example :)

http://puu.sh/kWgPy/970c8f4592.jpg

http://puu.sh/kWhaM/9c23d4b719.jpg

Ah! I love the window. Nice modeling. :)

Don't worry about the height too much. I think with the heat shield, it'll be deep enough to feasibly fit Kerbals somewhat comfortably.

Fuji was one of the first Tantares capsules I used regularly in my designs, so it'll be nice to see it match the current quality of the rest of the pack. Thinking about any Fuji part additions at the moment, or are you just working on the revamps?

ooh new solar panels and modules! can kerbals use the handrails?

They cannot use them yet (hard to make circular ladders), but I can look into it :)

Wasn't their two windows in the fuji.

PS: Glad your giving it the IVA :D

I took a second look, and now - I think some of the parts were actually parachutes, or something other than a window.

Ah! I love the window. Nice modeling. :)

Don't worry about the height too much. I think with the heat shield, it'll be deep enough to feasibly fit Kerbals somewhat comfortably.

Fuji was one of the first Tantares capsules I used regularly in my designs, so it'll be nice to see it match the current quality of the rest of the pack. Thinking about any Fuji part additions at the moment, or are you just working on the revamps?

Thanks!

At the moment I will just revamp it, there are a lot of Fuji concept, but they are generally a bit crazy (which is why they are well loved to be fair).

Here's a very basic line drawing.

This is the style I would also texture the 'Mars Excursion Craft'.

0078eeffff.jpg

67d8012434.jpg

Edited by Beale