[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][{Proton Revamp]

Beale

second stage has 4 nozzles, third stage has one nozzle and 4 vernier nozzels at the side.

baele i think you test sexond stage is to big on the pictures. overall length of second stage and thrid stage together are just a tiny bit longer then the first stage :) that seems to be the reason for the dV increase

second stage has 4 nozzles, third stage has one nozzle and 4 vernier nozzels at the side.

baele i think you test sexond stage is to big on the pictures. overall length of second stage and thrid stage together are just a tiny bit longer then the first stage :) that seems to be the reason for the dV increase

The scale might just be the angle of the photos.

I used orthographic views of the Proton rocket to create the parts, so it should be to scale.

dfe461dc5e.jpgb7c2cdf97e.jpg

A couple of pictures of second and third stages engine taken from orbiter, they should be quite accurate

http://i.imgur.com/Mb9Zb6H.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2czQi0V.jpg

Hope they can be useful

These are the best I have seen!

Google's Images hasn't been very helpful.

Thanks!

Edit: Also I'm removing Model{} config, instead moving to compressed textures, it will remove some major headaches I was having with the fuel tanks (lack of AO).

Working on the S2 (& 3?) Engine, vaguely RD-180 looking.

http://puu.sh/bCVAz/f7e10db3c3.jpg

Wow, nice model!

And an idea about creating third stage: radial vernier nozzles could be LF+LOX RCS thrusters with high thrust. :3

Some info and photos about 3rd stage.

http://www.kbkha.ru/?p=8&cat=8∏=33

Edited by Niemand303

Yeah, it's quite light for it's size (but so would be a similar size station made of stock parts).

Thanks a lot for the numbers, they seem great!

Working on the S2 (& 3?) Engine, vaguely RD-180 looking.

http://puu.sh/bCVAz/f7e10db3c3.jpg

Edit: ah, the second stage is actually 4 core. Re-design needed.

Beale, I think it would be better if you make two or three types of nozzles and a few bases to them. Then, with simple manipulations with part.cfg you can make bunch of different engines (i.e. RD-191, RD-180 and RD-170/171 uses same chambers/nozzles!). In addition, with procedural engine bases from PF...mmmm...:cool:

Wow, nice model!

And an idea about creating third stage: radial vernier nozzles could be LF+LOX RCS thrusters with high thrust. :3

Some info and photos about 3rd stage.

http://www.kbkha.ru/?p=8&cat=8∏=33

Thanks for the info!

1 main nozzle, 4 verniers. Should be pretty straightforward to make.

Beale, I think it would be better if you make two or three types of nozzles and a few bases to them. Then, with simple manipulations with part.cfg you can make bunch of different engines (i.e. RD-191, RD-180 and RD-170/171 uses same chambers/nozzles!). In addition, with procedural engine bases from PF...mmmm...:cool:

Intriguing concept, I'll look into how practical it would be! :)

Delicious Ambient Occlusion

Very very WIP

3072fb6ce7.jpg

Edited by Beale

How do you make a texture 'stock-like'? I wonder because I've tried to do it but I just couldn't find a perspective on how to get even close to it with my parts.

Any particular difficult points?

In general I use the smudge tool a lot, draw general lighter lines and smudge them in.

efff634436.png

d815287f9f.jpg

48588e14b3.jpg

You just have to build up several layers of grime and scratches, and I think you approach the stock look a bit.

Also you can take parts from textures found on stock objects.

08fda6c0af.jpg

^ I guess you could wrap that around a fuel tank or something...

Also shadows add to it.

3b8190faa8.jpg

If you have a pipe or something on the model, add shadows beneath to "fake" ambient occlusion

b8f084324c.jpg

I'm no expert at texturing techniquies, but let me know if you have further questions! :)

Edited by Beale

Aha! I think I get it. Thanks for the answer! I tried to use stock textures when I modeled the white LRV from the 'Recovered Munar footage' video. It kinda worked but self-made textures would be better for that. Is it Photoshop you use?

Yup, but to be honest everything I use in Photoshop can be found in GIMP or even Paint.NET with plugins :) Good luck!

Styled to match LOK engine.

a900e6d13c.jpg

Edited by Beale

Less D/v. This is supposed to be multiple stages. Not one that would be dropped in orbit with half it's fuel still inside.

It's a powerful lower stage with a very small fraction of its intended payload.

Niemand303s figures have been pretty much perfect compared to stock tanks (check the last few pages for the numbers), so I really can't see where you're coming from...

Edited by Beale

It's a powerful lower stage with a very small fraction of its intended payload.

Niemand303s figures have been pretty much perfect compared to stock tanks, so I really can't see where you're coming from...

Imadoofus. That makes sense now. Silly me. I guess we'll just have to balance that out when you finish the 2nd and 3rd stage. Speaking of 3rd stage, will there be one like a Blok-D and a Briz-KM, or just one of them?

Btw, Beale, what are the plans with other launchers? Will you make something like N1 for LOK and LK?

I'm not really sure.

The Proton will I think be able to send the LOK/LK/BlockD complex trans-munar (Not sure actually). Not accurate, but it will be sufficient for now I think.

The Soyuz rocket is kinda needed though.

I'm not really sure.

The Proton will I think be able to send the LOK/LK/BlockD complex trans-munar (Not sure actually). Not accurate, but it will be sufficient for now I think.

Well, I think it'll be possible to make one of the Korolyev proposed variants, to launch 1 Proton with LOK and the other with Block D and LK. :)

As I remember, you were already making the Soyuz one. What happened to it?

I'm not really sure.

I guess it's no problem if the Proton gets a 'super' heavy lifter status in KSP but I think a Block D with the LOK is kinda unnecessary for a Munar mission. I mean the LOK already has a lot of DV and if the third stage can push it with the LK into a TMI it's enough and less complicated. Although however you decide, it can't be bad.