[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][{Proton Revamp]

Beale

I guess it's no problem if the Proton gets a 'super' heavy lifter status in KSP but I think a Block D with the LOK is kinda unnecessary for a Munar mission. I mean the LOK already has a lot of DV and if the third stage can push it with the LK into a TMI it's enough and less complicated. Although however you decide, it can't be bad.

Block D may be useful for other reasons, like placing space station modules and heavy satellites.

I guess it's no problem if the Proton gets a 'super' heavy lifter status in KSP but I think a Block D with the LOK is kinda unnecessary for a Munar mission. I mean the LOK already has a lot of DV and if the third stage can push it with the LK into a TMI it's enough and less complicated. Although however you decide, it can't be bad.
Block D may be useful for other reasons, like placing space station modules and heavy satellites.

Good point actually, the LK is perfectly capable of, even a Duna Descent/Ascent I think...

But as Niemand has said, yeah, the Block D is useful elsewhere.

As for the Soyuz lifter, I scrapped the initial model due to sizing/balance issues, I think once the Proton is done to scale it against it should be easier.

Plus now I've dropped the Model{} texture system, the Soyuz rocket could look half decent.

But as Niemand has said, yeah, the Block D is useful elsewhere.

I have to agree with that. It actually is a perfect transfer stage for a two launch scenario with the Soyuz.

Edited by Reddragon

Ingame + Specularity Mapping

Graphically, it still needs a layer of wear and tear.

http://puu.sh/bDcJ6/1e56fd58e1.jpghttp://puu.sh/bDcLm/db2e621b2a.jpg

http://puu.sh/bDcMn/1008bcadab.jpg

It's a SSTKE!

http://puu.sh/bDcNs/c10f397a85.jpg

Will you also, along with the version with wear-and-tear, release a version without? I like parts with less wear-and-tear better.

Gotta say, the proton is looking pretty slick!

Thanks! :)

Will you also, along with the version with wear-and-tear, release a version without? I like parts with less wear-and-tear better.

"Wear and tear" might be the wrong phrase.

I mean only very subtle things like slight paint fading around the bolts.

7d904c58ab.jpg

And faint specular scratches

e4f4efb334.jpg

So in the end, the part will look mostly "brand new" :)

Station Science, ai!

0985ee063d.jpg

Edited by Beale

*cough* ill just leave this here

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26414976/Kir.jpg

this is one of my all time favourites now. Thanks for the great mod!

My jaw is on the floor!

I really like how you've made the other modules aside from Kvant, they look really nice :D

Many thanks for the kind words and for making this!

I also like filters too :wink:

4a1719c1db.jpg

82dde83446.jpg

Edited by Beale

Hey Beale, since I see you're enjoying Station Science: I tried it a few times as well, and the concept is great, even though the parts themselves I don't like that much. Granted, it's much better than the stock welds of the first versions, and the challenge of moving around 30t parts is nice, but they still seem a little too "out of place".

What I was thinking - could you perhaps make the various Mir modules functional in terms of Station Science (of course at lower effectiveness than the big parts)? Either with slower production of Eurekas/quarks/kibbals/whatever, or maybe collaborate with Ethernet on a new set of experiments?

It would be terrific if people would be rewarded for building their own versions of Salyuts and Mirs in terms of science.

What do you think?

Hey Beale, since I see you're enjoying Station Science: I tried it a few times as well, and the concept is great, even though the parts themselves I don't like that much. Granted, it's much better than the stock welds of the first versions, and the challenge of moving around 30t parts is nice, but they still seem a little too "out of place".

What I was thinking - could you perhaps make the various Mir modules functional in terms of Station Science (of course at lower effectiveness than the big parts)? Either with slower production of Eurekas/quarks/kibbals/whatever, or maybe collaborate with Ethernet on a new set of experiments?

It would be terrific if people would be rewarded for building their own versions of Salyuts and Mirs in terms of science.

What do you think?

I'm not Beale, but making custom MM configs for compatibility seems to be a good solution for this.

i will be so happy when Beale ar finishing teh Proton (and Blok D). i already have a stock version of the alternative Mun-shoot of the soviets with two Protons. have to redo somedetails, sadly. but recreating this with the Tantarespack will be a lot of fun!

and time to work more on my Tantares MIR ...

Wow, what filter is this? I was looking for it for weeks!

Photoshop - Halftone Pattern!

3fcd4083af.jpg

What do you think?

Absolutely agree, in fact I was already working on it!

The KVANT and SALYUT core modules are already labs, since they're a lot lighter than the StationScience Lab, their Eureka production is pretty pitiful (0.1 Eureka an hour).

A bit of deliberation I'm having is where to house the experiment modules... (Actually suggestions on this would be really helpful!)

New experiments could be intriguing. I did plan some for more MIR stuff.

i will be so happy when Beale ar finishing teh Proton (and Blok D). i already have a stock version of the alternative Mun-shoot of the soviets with two Protons. have to redo somedetails, sadly. but recreating this with the Tantarespack will be a lot of fun!

and time to work more on my Tantares MIR ...

Shouldn't be so long... :cool:

Edited by Beale

Thanks! I've found something which can be useful, if you will make TLV fairings:

http://cs618829.vk.me/v618829511/18ebc/ukv6QWnNCVI.jpg

Interesting, I thought the Progress was launched without a LES?

Still these could be useful, but I still doubt I'll go for bespoke fairings. :)

Station Science Kvant

Generating Eurekas very slowly (Bill Kerman working alone).

Might just make that five year contract for plant experiments...

Seems good enough for a release, there's been a huge amount of little changes, so I should upload soon.

Try it!

@PART[Vega_Crew_D]:NEEDS[StationScience] 
{
MODULE
{
name = ResearchFacility
eurekasPerHour = 0.1
minimumCrew = 1
}
}

8198513f6a.jpg

cf7e516f56.jpg

6f2c6c4555.jpg

Edited by Beale

Well, to someone who wants N1: NovaPunch already has a perfect stock-like example, which works flawlessly with Tantares. I think that launcher branch of Tantares should focus on Proton and Soyuz; it would also be a good idea to make them as separate package, like Near Future packs.

And I totally agree with idea of Station Science support for MIR parts!

Interesting, I thought the Progress was launched without a LES?

Still these could be useful, but I still doubt I'll go for bespoke fairings. :)

As Progress is basically modified Soyuz, they share fairings to reduce manufacturing costs and simplify launch calculations. LES is disabled on Progress launches, though.

Fairings is not needed (we've got procedural ones), but Soyuz-style LES is - all current models (stock, NP, KSPX) are based on Apollo LES, which looks totally out of place on Soviet-style rocket.

Lack's SXT (stock extension) also has a great N1 add-on.

That it does!

As Progress is basically modified Soyuz, they share fairings to reduce manufacturing costs and simplify launch calculations. LES is disabled on Progress launches, though.

Fairings is not needed (we've got procedural ones), but Soyuz-style LES is - all current models (stock, NP, KSPX) are based on Apollo LES, which looks totally out of place on Soviet-style rocket.

Ah I get it now!

Procedural fairings is what I'm sticking with, but a custom LES is in the works.