[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][{Proton Revamp]

Beale

Thats because the Core Stage upper end isn't the pressure vessel itself (on most russian designs). Its a heat shield to deflect the third stage's exhaust flame, because the upper stage fires when the lower stage is still burning, thus preventing the need for extra ullage motors. Thats why you see so many open, girder-like interstages on Soyuz, Proton, N1, Zenit. They are open to let the exhaust flow out. Protons third stage fires its 4 vernier engines that sit in little flame trenches that are carved out of the second stage while the second stage is still firing.

You can see the pressure vessel of Protons second and third stage on many images and drawings. Its a (near) half-sphere.

Second stage:

http://www.kosmonavtika.com/lanceurs/proton/partie2/2fig3-1.jpg

Third stage:

http://www.kosmonavtika.com/lanceurs/proton/partie2/3fig4-1.jpg

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6500/137106206.bd/0_8c9f3_83b5f7d_orig.jpg

Wow. Great images. I was aware that the end of the core stage wasn't the actual pressure vessel, though I didn't know that the shaping of the top of the tank was to deflect the third stage exhaust. I also didn't understand the reason for the hot firing. Great info. :)

The stock radial decouplers don't work with the Soyuz/Progress boosters. Even offsetting the tanks at their external limit, they remain attached to the craft. Also, Progress Orbital Module (the larger one, with the 0.9375 docking probe) lacks of a top node, I can't attach the docking probe. Soyuz OM is ok. Haven't tried out the smaller OM yet, neither Soyuz or Progress

Edited by trooperMNG

The stock radial decouplers don't work with the Soyuz/Progress boosters. Even offsetting the tanks at their external limit, they remain attached to the craft

I had a similar problem - I used a module manager patch to up the ejectionforce to 500.

May not be an option for everyone.

Soviet Space Program Career Mode mod updated:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/125286-Soviet-Space-Program-career-mode-total-conversion-%28V2-0-9-10-15%29

Version 2.0:

Update to reflect the soyuz/R7 rocket refit from Tantares, some balance adjustments, and other changes. Added optional support for the AsteroidDay official add-on from Squad.

Includes craft files (which should work even without the rest of my mod) for Sputnik/R7, Vostok/R7, Soyuz/R7, Soyuz-L1/Proton, Soyuz-L3/LM/N1, Phobos/Zenit (with AB Launchers), TKS/Proton, PPTS/Zenit (with AB Launchers), and Buran/Energia(with AB Launchers).

Would it be possible to update the researchTime value on the Quantum Science Block to 7 or 8? The current value of 12 is exponentially smaller than the Mobile Processing Lab default of 7. The rate ends up being so small that with 1 scientist and 500 data, you get about 1 science per year -which is useless and is appearing broken to some users.

This thread has some super helpful information about the value: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129425-Questions-re-cfg-file-parameters-for-Science-Labs

I had the same issue. you will probably just be told unhelpful things.

- - - Updated - - -

The tank ends I am torn on, the pressure vessel looks very nice in general, but it is a lot of polygons - for something that is generally never seen during flight.

I'd need to define a proper style too, notice all the pressure vessels look totally different.

Thoughts?

I will fix the inter-stages, yep - It is very ugly the "spike crown" that gets left currently!

That's so cool! Do you mind if I use this for the album?

Reminds me of:

http://www.shokabo.co.jp/author/8758/fujicapsuleC1.jpg

Shots of KSC are very nice also, I am a little jealous.

That... is quite a nice idea - granted I would prefer it to have visible exhaust requiring a re-model. I will consider this.

It is available in the latest released version y'know :wink:

Yes, im aware of that. But it wasnt appearing. sigh.

I know this has been answered but I cannot find the PPTS. Anyone have a DL link?
I had the same issue. you will probably just be told unhelpful things.

Yes, im aware of that. But it wasnt appearing. sigh.

It is included in the latest release.

If you are not seeing the parts, then you have installed things wrong, it's as simple as that. stratocracy I cannot help you when you are being so vague in the past few posts.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about everything being super uniform. Different rockets are different. Let them be different. Differences in design, especially in color, really help with catalog identification. Because most of the tanks are more or less variations of white and grey, the tops are a strong identification tool. Moreover, polygon count has never had severe effects on KSP performance. It's part count, and textures that are the biggest issues, and those should get somewhat resolved with the Unity 5 update.

I can compose a better image if you give me a little time. What are your thoughts on all the scaling nonsense?

Is that a challenge? Guess I've another photo to recreate. :P

You make a good point, I will play around, if I can keep the end caps to > 200 triangles each I suppose it is okay.

The image is great as it is, but if you want something similar but more artsy (like the Japanese image nudge nudge) in the album, I cannot complain :wink:

The scaling is quite good, but I'm still not sold on larger Cygnus.

1.5m in general also I am not so great a fan of, outside of Tweakscale.

Thats because the Core Stage upper end isn't the pressure vessel itself (on most russian designs). Its a heat shield to deflect the third stage's exhaust flame, because the upper stage fires when the lower stage is still burning, thus preventing the need for extra ullage motors. Thats why you see so many open, girder-like interstages on Soyuz, Proton, N1, Zenit. They are open to let the exhaust flow out. Protons third stage fires its 4 vernier engines that sit in little flame trenches that are carved out of the second stage while the second stage is still firing.

You can see the pressure vessel of Protons second and third stage on many images and drawings. Its a (near) half-sphere.

Second stage:

http://www.kosmonavtika.com/lanceurs/proton/partie2/2fig3-1.jpg

Third stage:

http://www.kosmonavtika.com/lanceurs/proton/partie2/3fig4-1.jpg

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6500/137106206.bd/0_8c9f3_83b5f7d_orig.jpg

Great images! Many thanks, these will be useful.

The stock radial decouplers don't work with the Soyuz/Progress boosters. Even offsetting the tanks at their external limit, they remain attached to the craft. Also, Progress Orbital Module (the larger one, with the 0.9375 docking probe) lacks of a top node, I can't attach the docking probe. Soyuz OM is ok. Haven't tried out the smaller OM yet, neither Soyuz or Progress

I haven't had so many problems, but it may be wise to add in some radial decouplers (a little stronger) in this case, stay tuned. :)

Soviet Space Program Career Mode mod updated:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/125286-Soviet-Space-Program-career-mode-total-conversion-%28V2-0-9-10-15%29

Version 2.0:

Update to reflect the soyuz/R7 rocket refit from Tantares, some balance adjustments, and other changes. Added optional support for the AsteroidDay official add-on from Squad.

Includes craft files (which should work even without the rest of my mod) for Sputnik/R7, Vostok/R7, Soyuz/R7, Soyuz-L1/Proton, Soyuz-L3/LM/N1, Phobos/Zenit (with AB Launchers), TKS/Proton, PPTS/Zenit (with AB Launchers), and Buran/Energia(with AB Launchers).

Very nice!

Thank you for producing this :)

Would it be possible to update the researchTime value on the Quantum Science Block to 7 or 8? The current value of 12 is exponentially smaller than the Mobile Processing Lab default of 7. The rate ends up being so small that with 1 scientist and 500 data, you get about 1 science per year -which is useless and is appearing broken to some users.

This thread has some super helpful information about the value: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129425-Questions-re-cfg-file-parameters-for-Science-Labs

Yes I'll fix this :)

Have you every thought of making Chinese rockets? and the Shenzhou Spacecraft?

The rockets, not so much. But Tiangong and Tianzhou would be quite fun I think.

There is already a Shenzou available (Though I guess the OM could be more distinctive, white?).

7125b037d2.jpg

Edited by Beale

If you are not seeing the parts, then you have installed things wrong, it's as simple as that. stratocracy I cannot help you when you are being so vague in the past few posts.

You make a good point, I will play around, if I can keep the end caps to > 200 triangles each I suppose it is okay.

The image is great as it is, but if you want something similar but more artsy (like the Japanese image nudge nudge) in the album, I cannot complain :wink:

I haven't had so many problems, but it may be wise to add in some radial decouplers (a little stronger) in this case, stay tuned. :)

Very nice!

There is already a Shenzou available (Though I guess the OM could be more distinctive, white?).

http://puu.sh/k7smX/7125b037d2.jpg

CZ-2F.svg

this is the Shenzhou carrier Long march 2F rocket

260px-Post_S-7_Shenzhou_spacecraft.png

and this is an good Shenzhou display so it kinda looks the same but the orbital module is white and has some distinguish details

but it looks similair

would be awesome if you would get some chinese stuff in it because china is an upcomming Space age nation :D

Edited by fgjordy

Making the Chinese Shenzhou, as Beale just posted, is pretty easy with the existing tantares parts.

Making the Long March booster is also pretty simple with existing tantares+stock parts. The size of the radial boosters relative to the center core will be slightly off - both would be 1.25m. If you wanted a truly accurate-scale, you'd need a 1.875m central core, with 1.25m boosters. TantaresLV has a couple of 1.875 tanks that would be suitable, but there isn't really an appropriate 1.875m engine. But if you're ok going 1.25m on both it's pretty easy.

I'll post some example .craft files later today.

Making the Chinese Shenzhou, as Beale just posted, is pretty easy with the existing tantares parts.

Making the Long March booster is also pretty simple with existing tantares+stock parts. The size of the radial boosters relative to the center core will be slightly off - both would be 1.25m. If you wanted a truly accurate-scale, you'd need a 1.875m central core, with 1.25m boosters. TantaresLV has a couple of 1.875 tanks that would be suitable, but there isn't really an appropriate 1.875m engine. But if you're ok going 1.25m on both it's pretty easy.

I'll post some example .craft files later today.

Would be awesome to be seeing that thanks ;)

CZ-2D.svg

Long March 2D Rocket

Very nice!

I know it is included. as i have said, i had to get a friend to send me his gamedata file, then viola, it worked, so its something up with the install. If it helps, my friend downloaded this before the recent update. I tried again earlier and still it wasnt appearing.

Further details: Install is 100% fine, as i unzipped the mod into gamedata as i have always done with this mod since i found it, and everything else works. Also, i noticed someone else saying it wasnt appearing, so it is not limited to me. Other detail: In the directory, under PPTS, the file icons look like blank pages.

Is this any help?

Yay!

That's the idea. :D

Technically, the Cygnus wouldn't be 1.5m, it'd be 1.25m. The end nodes would be 1.25m, it'd just that the body would be 1.5m, much like the ATV body bulges out to just above 2.5m currently, and like the current Cygnus bulges out from 0.625m to 0.7665m or so. It wouldn't be a scary off size, it'd be 1.25m for all intents and purposes.

My only reason for trying to sell you on the size increase, is that it's not terribly useful at 0.625m. It just doesn't hold enough resources to make it worth launching in career mode. Plus, with the Enhanced Cygnus mission coming up towards the end of the year, and the Antares RTF, the timing could be nice. :)

[quote name=Beale;2189903The rockets' date=' not so much. But Tiangong and Tianzhou would be quite fun I think.

Edited by curtquarquesso

Yay!

That's the idea. :D

Technically, the Cygnus wouldn't be 1.5m, it'd be 1.25m. The end nodes would be 1.25m, it'd just that the body would be 1.5m, much like the ATV body bulges out to just above 2.5m currently, and like the current Cygnus bulges out from 0.625m to 0.7665m or so. It wouldn't be a scary off size, it'd be 1.25m for all intents and purposes.

My only reason for trying to sell you on the size increase, is that it's not terribly useful at 0.625m. It just doesn't hold enough resources to make it worth launching in career mode. Plus, with the Enhanced Cygnus mission coming up towards the end of the year, and the Antares RTF, the timing could be nice. :)

I kinda like the Shenzhou OM as is. How about some Chinese simplified Han characters? It'd spice it up a bit, and would make it distinctive, without changing the style much. Tiangong is also quite build-able already, but I wouldn't be opposed to having some new, useful station parts of different dimensions.

http://i.imgur.com/mTpZ9co.png

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect unless you don't know how to install add-ons, which is unlikely, that there could be a ModuleManager file culling out the PPTS parts since they're new. Does the issue persist in Sandbox mode?

If you download a Tantares folder straight from Kerbal Stuff, can you verify that if you navigate to /GameData/Tantares/Parts/PPTS you see six files?

how did u do that tiangong :o?

The PPTS capsule gave me some ideas for a riff on the "Big Soyuz" concept as a deep space CSM:

FwwA0oS.png?1

TIVuIWu.png?1

zhTHKjc.png?1

Its working name is "Seahawk", because I couldn't think of anything else and "Budgie" didn't seem right.

hN4RXAB.jpgwhy is the crew in the PPTS module upside down?...

- - - Updated - - -

The PPTS capsule gave me some ideas for a riff on the "Big Soyuz" concept as a deep space CSM:

http://i.imgur.com/FwwA0oS.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/TIVuIWu.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/zhTHKjc.png?1

Its working name is "Seahawk", because I couldn't think of anything else and "Budgie" didn't seem right.

wow that look awesome!

snip

I dunno. I'm no expert, but Budgie sounds like a good name to me.

Maybe try translating some names into Russian, see what you like the sound of?

I dunno. I'm no expert, but Budgie sounds like a good name to me.

Maybe try translating some names into Russian, see what you like the sound of?

Mea culpa, my friend! You're right, "Budgie" is a fine name! :D