[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [27.0][18.05.2024][VA Revamp]

Beale

Where is that blue spacesuit from?

KSP Renaissance IIRC, it doesn't play well with female Kerbals yet though.

So, does it feature any changes from Niemand's download?

About the balance...

http://i.imgur.com/Q5px47x.jpg

Five tons of simulated payload - barely touched the second stage. And that was a VERY inefficient MJ ascent - I've started my gravity turn too early (not to mention that it's a dev version, so there may be bugs).

(Also, I hate stock fairings. They're plain ugly and tend to disappear under certain conditions in VAB\SPH).

Very minor changes (I believe Niemand's contained the beta parts such as Kliper).

I've began renaming a few parts (They all need cute names now apparently - bleh).

(Yeah, not a great fan of the fairings also, but PF will still be around I imagine! :) )

Thankyou for feedback!

Bug report:

Whenever I try to revert to launch, this happens:

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/taniel0401/screenshot384_zpssgpx6eww.png

Ancient bug, affects any part that uses MODEL{} nodes, in the slow process of fixing it.

But, thanks for reporting it :)

...They're supposed to turn invisible in the VAB.

Build the fairing (preferrably something big and fabulous), grab the fairing base, reattach the fairing base back, explain to anyone in hearing radius why you've just shouted a bazillion of profanities in three various languages.

Build the fairing (preferrably something big and fabulous), grab the fairing base, reattach the fairing base back, explain to anyone in hearing radius why you've just shouted a bazillion of profanities in three various languages.

Oh. Maybe we need a lock fairing option.

Not sure if something was wrong on my end, but the Almach Return chute isn't slowing me down enough to even land in water.

Try deleting the partdabase.cfg in your root KSP folder, it will cause a rebuild. It might take some time to understand why new drag cubes are generated one way or another. It might require changing models, since the cubes are generated from them.

Oh. Maybe we need a lock fairing option.

We do indeed.

Another small thing: it looks like that engines FX configs need to be updated to produce launchpad and landing effects.

And another small thing: Tavio LES cannot be staged. Action groups work fine, though.

Edited by biohazard15

Thank you for your configs Neimand, and thank you for the fast turnaround and release Beale

<EDIT> Oh forgot to ask...with 1.0 using a DDSloader what are your thoughts on converting your textures to DDS?

Edited by Revenant503

Not sure if something was wrong on my end, but the Almach Return chute isn't slowing me down enough to even land in water.
Try deleting the partdabase.cfg in your root KSP folder, it will cause a rebuild. It might take some time to understand why new drag cubes are generated one way or another. It might require changing models, since the cubes are generated from them.

Might take a while with these, I've found similar things with the Gemini parachute, including odd gliding and torque effects (Hitting the desert at 60m/s doesn't end well).

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

We do indeed.

Another small thing: it looks like that engines FX configs need to be updated to produce launchpad and landing effects.

And another small thing: Tavio LES cannot be staged. Action groups work fine, though.

Good find!

Many thanks.

Thank you for your configs Neimand, and thank you for the fast turnaround and release Beale

Welcome! :)

Might take a while with these, I've found similar things with the Gemini parachute, including odd gliding and torque effects (Hitting the desert at 60m/s doesn't end well).

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

I totally forgot to add a specific "way-around" I've found only today to them. >.<

But they're only half-measures, something else might be needed.

Okay, more on Soyuz (I would test other rockets later).

Its core stage has two problems.

- It is underpowered. When you drop the boosters (at around 750 m\s), your TWR is 0.87 (according to MJ). You can, of course, achieve the orbit, but it's a rather long flight. It looks pretty realistic, though.

- It is too efficient - with Soyuz (i mean Tantares) in orbital configuraion, I still have almost full 2nd stage. And mind you that I simply cannot lift anything heavier than Soyuz - its 1st stage TWR (w\o boosters) is too low for that.

So here's my thought:

- Make Core mode less efficient, maybe just a bit more powerful.

- Make Booster mode more efficient (to compensate for Core mode nerfing) and just a bit less powerful (again, to compensate).

This way, the core stage would consume more fuel before the booster separation - making it lighter and thus increasing its TWR (Aim for 1.2-1.5 or something).

Another solution would be tweaking the fuel load. With half of SB(2) tank, TWR is 0.96 after the booster separation. It quickly climbs to 1 and beyond - and the core stage is expended juuuust as you hit 100km Ap (with my MJ ascent profile). Just decouple it and circularize with the 2nd stage (you'll end with around 2\3 fuel tank).

Combining these methods would give the best results.

Ohhh! KSP 1.0 finally! *looks at all the mods in his GameData folder* :0.0: Uh, y-yeah gotta wait for all of them to catch up but until then, there seems to be plenty of familiarizing to do in stock 1.0. :D It seems with all the new stock parts I'm going to have to come up with a crazy new design so I can do all the stuff with one ship (scanning, landing, drilling, gathering science, housing at least 3 kerbals, etc). It's gonna be sweet! :cool:

- It is underpowered. When you drop the boosters (at around 750 m\s), your TWR is 0.87 (according to MJ). You can, of course, achieve the orbit, but it's a rather long flight. It looks pretty realistic, though.

- It is too efficient - with Soyuz (i mean Tantares) in orbital configuraion, I still have almost full 2nd stage. And mind you that I simply cannot lift anything heavier than Soyuz - its 1st stage TWR (w\o boosters) is too low for that.

So here's my thought:

- Make Booster mode more efficient (to compensate for Core mode nerfing) and just a bit less powerful (again, to compensate).

This way, the core stage would consume more fuel before the booster separation - making it lighter and thus increasing its TWR (Aim for 1.2-1.5 or something).

Another solution would be tweaking the fuel load. With half of SB(2) tank, TWR is 0.96 after the booster separation. It quickly climbs to 1 and beyond - and the core stage is expended juuuust as you hit 100km Ap (with my MJ ascent profile). Just decouple it and circularize with the 2nd stage (you'll end with around 2\3 fuel tank).

My thought...whatever you do balance it so that a full, long upper-stage, SoyuzLV can put 7 tons into LKO with a reasonably efficient launch profile - under 0.9 and FAR I could actually punch 14 tons into LKO which embarrassed me so much I spend a week installing and playing around with KIDS to get it feeling better

<EDIT> Oh forgot to ask...with 1.0 using a DDSloader what are your thoughts on converting your textures to DDS?

Yes, currently in progress :)

Main bonus: Alternate textures are one million times easier.

I totally forgot to add a specific "way-around" I've found only today to them. >.<

But they're only half-measures, something else might be needed.

Ah :)

I will try experiment more when I have time. Not ideal with awkward chutes, I know, but I'm currently in between the devil and the deep blue sea in IRL work commitments.

So here's my thought:

Very nice ideas, I'll have to try these.

I'll probably go for increasing thrust and decrease efficiency, the actual amount of fuel is scaled against stock tank sizes, which I'd like to keep standard. :)

Ohhh! KSP 1.0 finally! *looks at all the mods in his GameData folder* :0.0: Uh' date=' y-yeah gotta wait for all of them to catch up but until then, there seems to be plenty of familiarizing to do in stock 1.0. :D It seems with all the new stock parts I'm going to have to come up with a crazy new design so I can do all the stuff with one ship (scanning, landing, drilling, gathering science, housing at least 3 kerbals, etc). It's gonna be sweet! :cool:[/quote']

So much to try!

I'll have to have a weekend off.

My thought...whatever you do balance it so that a full, long upper-stage, SoyuzLV can put 7 tons into LKO with a reasonably efficient launch profile - under 0.9 and FAR I could actually punch 14 tons into LKO which embarrassed me so much I spend a week installing and playing around with KIDS to get it feeling better

This I will aim for :)

Edited by Beale

The part sizing bug is back for the soyuz parts, mainly the lower and upper (the gradient one) segments of the core stage.

It happens after Reload to Launch.

Btw, nice revamp Beale! Cant wait to see what awesomeness 1.0 draws out of you

The part sizing bug is back for the soyuz parts, mainly the lower and upper (the gradient one) segments of the core stage.

This bug happens only if said part is a root part.

Just change your root part to capsule or probe core (In fact, you should always do that - it would prevent some possible issues with contracts and such)

Request : When you finish the heatshield parts (at least, based on earlier posts it looked like you were working on some?) please make the fairings for them NOT "puff out" like the stock ones do. It spoils the visuals of a lot of designs, and makes fairings even wider if the shield is placed inside a fairing (likely). It would be nice to have a set of heatshields to use that didn't suffer from width bloat.

Happy 1.0 everyone!

Off topic, don't care. http://i.imgur.com/O6JN48d.jpg

:cool:

What? Tantares engines doesn't shoot smoke out of the flame trench or kick up dust whilst landing with an engine? BLASPHEMY
That requires a specific new module added to the part configs.

Yep, will have to add this in :)

Thanks for reporting the bug, it's possible it is a bit more prolific in 1.0! :)

And many thanks!

Request : When you finish the heatshield parts (at least, based on earlier posts it looked like you were working on some?) please make the fairings for them NOT "puff out" like the stock ones do. It spoils the visuals of a lot of designs, and makes fairings even wider if the shield is placed inside a fairing (likely). It would be nice to have a set of heatshields to use that didn't suffer from width bloat.

Oh god yes, of course!

Speaking of:

Got somethin' for ya!

What's that in the middle?

0639d27d4a.jpg

It's a shield!

6097b50d6d.jpg

Self-orient!

4028a385cf.jpg

Parachutes, tweaking still not perfect but surviveable.

206abf83f8.jpg

Alternative little shield!

6006ce0fa1.jpg

Auto fairings

8dcab8642f.jpg

I just saw gooddog15's docking port on page 608-ish. Are we going to see that in an update soon?

Yeah sure :)

Obviously 1.0 has thrown an expected hand-grenade into the works.

Where can I find Assembly instructions?

[spoiler: Craft Files] on first page are broken.

Works fine for me? :sealed: