[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [27.0][18.05.2024][VA Revamp]

Beale

I'm having a problem with the Tantares TMA Engine part not coming up. That or it's just using the new texture...

TMA is broken for the newest Tantares release. I have yet to update it. Sorry!

I've also kinda stopped using TMA, since it doesn't jive too well with the rest of Tantares...

Uploaded a new Tantares-Dependent mod: Converts career-mode into a re-balanced Soviet Space Program.

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/125286-Soviet-Space-Program-career-mode-total-conversion

I've been using this setup myself for career mode for a while now, figured others might enjoy the diversion to "the other side".

Definitely following that on Kerbalstuff so I can use it next career start

Definitely following that on Kerbalstuff so I can use it next career start

It'll be updated over time as more goodies get added to Tantares, and probably balance adjustments once I get some feedback from folks.

(What is balanced for one person, isn't always whats balanced for everyone else, etc etc.)

*see's that the OM's now seat two* D: noooooo! *cries as crewed part balancing formula burns to ashes*
http://puu.sh/hYKnP/a92fff529c.png

When I made this formula ~50 pages back (which urist made into a handy picture) I partially devised it to keep the soyuz and OM's at their current mass since they were the first tantares pods and therefore set the standard and also in order minimize having to rebalance the launcher and service module.

throw the new OM's into the formula and they come out significantly heavier which will effect the replica craft's DV.

Also think about why the soyuz has an orbital module its not to store more people or to be a place to have a game of space chess its to be a place to store stuff like docking hardware and resources that are not needed for reentry to keep the reentry pod's mass minimal because whatever you bring down with your pod drastically increases the mass you have to lift to orbit as opposed to what you have to lift for stuff that you ultimately throw away before reentry. a soyuz is gutted compared to a one man pod like the vostok the reason you get two-three seats in the soyuz is because they took a lot of the stuff out and put it in the orbital module and as a result the orbital module so stuffed full of stuff that doesn't have to be rated for reentry that you shouldn't have room for two seats.

Yes, that was a mistake - in play testing it did not feel very good.

Wasn't aware of the formula, thanks! Saved!

How do you change the texture for the stock fairings?

A long time no see! :cool:

You can use the free Paint.NET to edit DDS textures.

Uploaded a new Tantares-Dependent mod: Converts career-mode into a re-balanced Soviet Space Program.

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/125286-Soviet-Space-Program-career-mode-total-conversion

I've been using this setup myself for career mode for a while now, figured others might enjoy the diversion to "the other side".

Looks neato! I'll be keeping an eye on it. :)

@Beale, IVAs are looking top notch. :) Any way you would consider swapping out the hatch texture with the hatch texture you have on the APAS port currently? It'd be nice for it to look like an actual traversable hatch. I don't really mind it being a two seater seeing as it doesn't really change the fact that the reentry capsule still only sit two.

Yep!

7b6e984c49.jpg

TMA is broken for the newest Tantares release. I have yet to update it. Sorry!

I've also kinda stopped using TMA, since it doesn't jive too well with the rest of Tantares...

No worries, don't feel pressure to work on it if you don't enjoy it!

Your efforts are appreciated greatly whatever you do with the textures. :)

Speaking of...

TKS texture pass.

The poll is a lot closer than I am thinking, but it seems Orbital craft are most in favour. Though I'm a little too busy to full time work on Vostok -

To get it more in standard with the new Soyuz - don't worry, no model changes (Perhaps only slight modifications to handles, but no node size changes!).

I'm just beginning now, to strip it down to bare minimum!

For quite a big size pod, I'd love to give it it's own 1024x1024, but we'll wait for 64-Bit support eh? :wink:

0d925b3776.jpg

Edited by Beale

Yes, that was a mistake - in play testing it did not feel very good.

Wasn't aware of the formula, thanks! Saved!

A long time no see! :cool:

You can use the free Paint.NET to edit DDS textures.

Looks neato! I'll be keeping an eye on it. :)

Yep!

http://puu.sh/inoFb/7b6e984c49.jpg

No worries, don't feel pressure to work on it if you don't enjoy it!

Your efforts are appreciated greatly whatever you do with the textures. :)

Speaking of...

TKS texture pass.

The poll is a lot closer than I am thinking, but it seems Orbital craft are most in favour. Though I'm a little too busy to full time work on Vostok -

To get it more in standard with the new Soyuz - don't worry, no model changes (Perhaps only slight modifications to handles, but no node size changes!).

I'm just beginning now, to strip it down to bare minimum!

For quite a big size pod, I'd love to give it it's own 1024x1024, but we'll wait for 64-Bit support eh? :wink:

http://puu.sh/inpH1/7a5d43b348.jpg

Looks great

Yeah, I'll still texture, and I do have TMA textures more or less done, but its partially laziness, rage at how they still look "meh", the fact that I'm actually no longer using TMA, and the fact that I actually want to play KSP now, rather than mod and debug! Still in 0.90, but almost every mod I use has been updated so I'll be switching over at long last soon.

Meh, I'll throw the TMA stuff out there sometime today or tomorrow. Did anyone actually use it, and anyone have any pointers?

Beale, I am in dire need for a high capacity capsule. How's work on the PPTS and Kliper?

Also, some generic Tantares themed textures for procedural parts would be God(Beale)send..

Beale, I am in dire need for a high capacity capsule. How's work on the PPTS and Kliper?

Also, some generic Tantares themed textures for procedural parts would be God(Beale)send..

The beta version of the Kliper works just fine in its current state.

The Tantares-alike MPLM/PMM is coming along nicely. Not bad for a first part.

Hw77FWxl.pngJbLKolOl.png3AAq9rYl.png

On this texture pass, none of it used textures from the repo, which I'm rather proud of actually. @Beale, do you think you could put some of your raw texture resources in the repo when you have some time? Specifically, the flaked/brushed metal texture you've got on the Soyuz, and now the TKS pod?

Speaking of which, it looks really great, especially the internal hatch. As much as I like the texture pass on the TKS, the stripe will ruin some continuity things with the video I captured for the Apollo Soyuz video if I update Tantares. Any chance when you start doing alternate textures again, you could include a stripe-less TKS? I really like it as an Apollo pod. The Mk1-2 pod is too big and ugly...

Edited by curtquarquesso

The IVA is looking great! Except one little thing...

More cargo bags!

Hmmm, perhaps :)

I might be able to get working on the Kliper along with Vostok :)

As for the PPTS... Eh...

I am losing faith in it. Sorry to fans of the craft.

The Tantares-alike MPLM/PMM is coming along nicely. Not bad for a first part.

http://imgur.com/Hw77FWxl.pnghttp://imgur.com/JbLKolOl.pnghttp://imgur.com/3AAq9rYl.png

On this texture pass, none of it used textures from the repo, which I'm rather proud of actually. @Beale, do you think you could put some of your raw texture resources in the repo when you have some time? Specifically, the flaked/brushed metal texture you've got on the Soyuz, and now the TKS pod?

Speaking of which, it looks really great, especially the internal hatch. As much as I like the texture pass on the TKS, the stripe will ruin some continuity things with the video I captured for the Apollo Soyuz video if I update Tantares. Any chance when you start doing alternate textures again, you could include a stripe-less TKS? I really like it as an Apollo pod. The Mk1-2 pod is too big and ugly...

Very nice! :)

Great work on the shading and stuff, perhaps a bit too high-contrast, but it is leagues ahead of my first part.

You have embraced some of the techniques too!

bf25396a9c.jpg

Congratulations, and I hope to see more!

This is the galvanized metal texture I use on everything.

The stripe... funny I did remove it in the time.

And added some others...

Continuity is a devil :blush:

edcd871856.jpg

I did do a recolour too, heh.

921c2263f0.jpg

Edited by Beale

Very nice! :)

Great work on the shading and stuff, perhaps a bit too high-contrast, but it is leagues ahead of my first part.

Congratulations, and I hope to see more!

This is the galvanized metal texture I use on everything.

The stripe... funny I did remove it in the time.

And added some others...

Continuity is a devil :blush:

http://puu.sh/inLBc/edcd871856.jpg

I did do a recolour too, heh.

http://puu.sh/inLO7/921c2263f0.jpg

Much appreciated. Yep. The AO on the inside edges of the panels are way too dark at the moment. I exaggerated a lot of stuff just to help myself out a bit.

I had a lot of good resources to learn from. :D I'm going to alternate textures with some of the little UV maps so it doesn't look so visually repetitive.

Awesome! Thanks for the texture. Feel free to drop any other raw resources you use frequently in the repo. :)

With the recolor, if you inverted the white and blue, It'd look pretty close to the Soyuz T. Currently, it looks like the pod is choking on something, and asphyxiating.... :P

I like the stripes, but maybe not that much perhaps... Heh. Looks a bit like a striped sock. How about just two stripes or so?

Do you plan on doing other USOS parts like this, with the Tantares style? I'm really liking it.

Yes! I'd love to, if I ever get this thing in game. Baby steps. My goal is to get a PMM/MPLM and two CBMs in game before the end of the Summer.

I've been away from this thread for awhile, did the kliper get a release, and did the PPTS get a service module?

Nope. Not yet. Beale is doing revamps on nearly everything to get everything looking similar. Seems to have finally found a style he likes.

Also, after more input from Beale, here's the next texture pass on the MPLM. Anyone know how to make this thing look shiny without reflective plugins?

SFYm6xTl.pngO8Rgh45l.png

Hmmm, perhaps :)

As for the PPTS... Eh...

I am losing faith in it. Sorry to fans of the craft.

Sad to hear..I was the other way...I thought the PPTS was a welcome return to sanity after the Kliper madness. Oh well..how about the original Kliper concept of a beefed up orbital module that would support 4 people for a week? (Ok I admit it...it eventually became the PPTS after a few rounds of the ministry)

Nope. Not yet. Beale is doing revamps on nearly everything to get everything looking similar. Seems to have finally found a style he likes.

Also, after more input from Beale, here's the next texture pass on the MPLM. Anyone know how to make this thing look shiny without reflective plugins?

http://i.imgur.com/SFYm6xTl.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/O8Rgh45l.png

Looks nice! To make things shiny, use a the KSP specular shader instead of the diffuse one. You can tweak the shininess to your liking or use the texture's alpha channel to create variation in shininess.

I've been away from this thread for awhile, did the kliper get a release, and did the PPTS get a service module?

7IhLWMh.gif

See below :wink:

http://i.imgur.com/SFYm6xTl.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/O8Rgh45l.png

Nice! You are speeding ahead like a train!

Specular, this is where that metal texture has a second use!

Use it on the alpha channel, to give a nice scriffle texture, that is highlighted in the light!

I'd be willing to whip up an alpha channel for you, if you can hand over the PSD, to example how it's done.

3077d5a63e.jpg

Sad to hear..I was the other way...I thought the PPTS was a welcome return to sanity after the Kliper madness. Oh well..how about the original Kliper concept of a beefed up orbital module that would support 4 people for a week? (Ok I admit it...it eventually became the PPTS after a few rounds of the ministry)
As of now, PPTS needs a rebalance. Existing Tantares parts can be mucked around with to make a good PPTS, so with Beale's permission I can release some configs and keep the awesomeness rolling.
Please don't give up on the PPTS!
Beale.. you are tormenting us. Please show mercy. We need a Tantares high capacity capsule.

Here is my feeling -

I don't like much the "gondola" version that currently I've made, it's awkward to produce with my limited modelling skills and it is kind of a texture hog. (As far as I can tell, this design iteration of the PPTS has been superceded five years ago anyway!).

I think a Lunar version is simpler to produce, has a more focused use I think.

So yep, that will probably be the end result - Conical capsule (Crew of 5-6), adapter and 1.875m service module (Separate engines!).

3785b1964a.jpg

Edited by Beale

Since you're finally working on IVAs, Beale. Thought I'd give my two cents about Almach's capsule, I'd really like it to have three RPM screens just like stock's Mk1, now the screens don't have to be huge, three small ones will do (we can always zoom in). Those who want realism in their Vostok pod probably won't be using RPM anyways and stock's Mk1 with RPM already has three RPM screens so.. I don't see the problem here if Almach has three RPM screens too, IMO.

http://i.imgur.com/7IhLWMh.gif

See below :wink:

Nice! You are speeding ahead like a train!

Specular, this is where that metal texture has a second use!

Use it on the alpha channel, to give a nice scriffle texture, that is highlighted in the light!

I'd be willing to whip up an alpha channel for you, if you can hand over the PSD, to example how it's done.

http://puu.sh/ioENR/3077d5a63e.jpg

Here is my feeling -

I don't like much the "gondola" version that currently I've made, it's awkward to produce with my limited modelling skills and it is kind of a texture hog. (As far as I can tell, this design iteration of the PPTS has been superceded five years ago anyway!).

I think a Lunar version is simpler to produce, has a more focused use I think.

So yep, that will probably be the end result - Conical capsule (Crew of 5-6), adapter and 1.875m service module (Separate engines!).

How about this basically?

Twlnlsil.png

The only parts that you'd really need to make would be the SM, and the LFO tank. I think that you could probably make the heat shield, decoupler, and adapter from current parts. The landing legs can be easily clipped in. Doesn't feel cheat-y. The propulsive landing ability is a different story however... How much work would it actually require? Could you outsource the IVA to someone who's good at IVAs? I know you're not exactly a fan of making those up. :P

The PPTS will be nice, but the more important thing is, that you do what youwant to do next. You end up doing a lot of requests, many of which have been really great, but I really like original stuff of yours. I don't want you to see you get stuck in a replica rut. I like what you did with the Spectre pod, the Castor nuke, the Castor LEM base, and the recent British stuff. Cool, original, and useful.

Yeah! As soon as I get the texture the way I want it, I wouldn't mid sending it off to you. Any good tutorials around on how to apply the alpha channel in a logical way, and without doing it all free-hand with a brush?

I know that balancing/texture cleanup didn't win the most votes in the poll, but I had an idea regarding it. When you get around to that category, why don't you make the Priorda antenna a resource scanner? After all, it looks similar to the stock scanner, and I believe the dish was built for something along those lines anyway.