[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

There's so much going on here, and I can't respond to all of it, but I'll give it a shot.

1. Vostok looks great. I think the configuration you have will work fine.

2. What is the function of the green SM part? What resources/modules will it contain? By the decal on it, I'm guessing E

3. Will the engine get those crinkled panels, or are you set on the current look? Could they be separate parts and function as radiators?

4. Could the engine get RCS verniers? IIRC, IRL Vostok had RCS thrusters right near the main engine nozzle.

5. The umbilical can be easily simulated with an antenna dish. I wouldn't worry about that too much. Keep the capsule lego-like.

6. On the mono-prop spheres, are you sticking with white, or is green an option? Hope you keep the crossed bands on the sphere. One band doesn't look so good...

7. Parachute looks good for Vostok, but not as good now as a 6-way node end-cap. Any way we could get a nice end-cap for the 6-way node at some point?

8. Wouldn't worry about the tapered decoupler. It looks like it'd be nice as an upper stage decoupler. I'd mount small 0.625m satellites on it for deployment. Doesn't look in any way that awkward to me.

9. What's the pod going to look like when it ablates? I'd be ok with the whole thing completely charring when it reenters.

10. +1 for the Indian capsule. Way cool. :)

11. I've had to take a break from the part creation. IRL stuff. Exams and travel. Hopefully next week I'll get a few parts out there that Tantares users will like. I'll be starting my own dev-thread to keep things on-topic and not crowd your thread.

Edited by curtquarquesso

You should probably rescale that to 1.875 m if you ever use it. More in scale with GSLV mk2

Also, maybe not make it orange? I know it looks cool being orange, and it was orange in photos of it, but no flight rated spacecraft would be painted orange. They are typically white or reflective silver to block harmful rays from the sun. Of course, thermal blanketed spacecraft can be different, but they all seem to be white, black, or green.

Tantares TMA + Fairings 0.3

Finally, I'm back! Here's the fully updated Tantares TMA; for the new Soyuz revamp. Also includes some new fairing shapes (edited Soyuz, new Angara), and 2 new Procedural Fairings textures!

Enjoy! Note that the descent modules blacken on reentry again. If you want I'll release a config that will eliminate that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcvgd73ud2on651/Tantares%20TMA%2BFairings%200.3.zip?dl=0

Um... I... Mine's not working. I have a stock install with Tantares and TundraExploration and Ven's and ProceduralFairings.

I tried it without the others too, but I don't see why that'd cause issues. Am I doing something wrong?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I started working on a little something tonight. Not sure where it's going to take me, but I decided to revisit my old decision to add some variety to the gray Salyut parts, this time with a bit more skill texturing. I like it, though!

hS1K5dA.png

Also, a teaser of something big I'm building in orbit with a lot of Tantares parts.

It's nice to be actually playing KSP for once, rather than mucking around not having any sort of goal.

Um... I... Mine's not working. I have a stock install with Tantares and TundraExploration and Ven's and ProceduralFairings.

I tried it without the others too, but I don't see why that'd cause issues. Am I doing something wrong?

What exactly isn't working?

EDIT: I found it. Jeez, that's a stupid mistake on my part. Didn't change the part paths from Parts/SOYUZ to Parts/SOYUZ_TMA and PROGRESS_TMA.

Fixed now! Redownload, and remember to have ModuleManager and Firespitter installed as well!

Tantares TMA 0.3.6

Edited by planeguy868

Thanks for pointing that out -

I'll up the drag and the capsule's crash tolerance is now 25m/s.

Getting closer now...

http://puu.sh/ivlZV/d772c94eca.jpg

http://puu.sh/ivm0P/a2e4d852fe.jpg

http://puu.sh/ivm1n/74e4542adb.jpg

http://puu.sh/ivm3t/d5eca918e8.jpg

http://puu.sh/ivm3V/311dfcfee1.jpg

Wow Beal ! I'm so impatient to see this in game :D

I'm having an issue with the Gemini style craft. I have attached a g-750 to a 2.5m tank, but it refuses to stay connected. As soon as the craft finishes loading, the whole vehicle comes apart into two pieces, the capsule and the g-750, and everything else. I don't have any problems with any other parts (so far) except that one. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm having an issue with the Gemini style craft. I have attached a g-750 to a 2.5m tank, but it refuses to stay connected. As soon as the craft finishes loading, the whole vehicle comes apart into two pieces, the capsule and the g-750, and everything else. I don't have any problems with any other parts (so far) except that one. Anyone have any ideas?

does that happen in other crafts using the part? if not then you only need MOAR struts, maybe physics loading is making your ship fall apart and you may consider getting Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, if yes then it must be a bug.

does that happen in other crafts using the part? if not then you only need MOAR struts, maybe physics loading is making your ship fall apart and you may consider getting Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, if yes then it must be a bug.

It seems to be some kind of bug as it acts like there is absolutely nothing connecting the two pieces. I'll give KJR a try. I meant to install it anyway.

Got some time to sneak away and model today, here's the S-IV fuel tank:

XLjT6Ye.png

I may try to UV map this one myself. It seems even easier than Little Joe II was.

Can't wait for the S-IV engine assembly, it's gonna be tough. :P

EDIT: S-IV Fuel Tank is UV mapped, ready to be textured. It's the first time I've successfully UV mapped a model. Now to see if I have a copy of photoshop somewhere. If I don't have photoshop though, is it easy to texture parts in GIMP?

Edited by pTrevTrevs

One other issue I'm having: the Zond tank (the tank with the integrated generator) has a couple issues. Namely, the generator doesn't use any resources and it starts the launch active. I'm sure it's a mod conflict, but I have no idea what would cause it. Any ideas?

One other issue I'm having: the Zond tank (the tank with the integrated generator) has a couple issues. Namely, the generator doesn't use any resources and it starts the launch active. I'm sure it's a mod conflict, but I have no idea what would cause it. Any ideas?

Remove the generator module from the config. I think Beale made the fix and reuploaded it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

After that first part, I actually liked what I had come up with, so I made a few more in that style, in addition to retexturing the Alnair capsule and Polaris heatshield for use as a new transport craft; Minotaur. I got this idea because my save has gradually morphed into a joint Roscosmos-ESA exploration program, and decided some Russian-made, ESA-upgraded station hardware was in order.

As far as I've seen, these parts still match very well with the stock Tantares parts, so you can have a mix of these and base Salyut parts and still have a nice looking station.

The name and design come from E of Pi's showthread.php?t=208954 alternate history, which has been going for nearly 4 years!

http://imgur.com/a/punO0

After that first part, I actually liked what I had come up with, so I made a few more in that style, in addition to retexturing the Alnair capsule and Polaris heatshield for use as a new transport craft; Minotaur. I got this idea because my save has gradually morphed into a joint Roscosmos-ESA exploration program, and decided some Russian-made, ESA-upgraded station hardware was in order.

As far as I've seen, these parts still match very well with the stock Tantares parts, so you can have a mix of these and base Salyut parts and still have a nice looking station.

The name and design come from E of Pi's http://alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=208954 alternate history, which has been going for nearly 4 years!

Can we download it?

- - - Updated - - -

Is anyone else getting this weird texture issue?

3U6bG5E.jpg

Tantares TMA + Fairings 0.3

Finally, I'm back! Here's the fully updated Tantares TMA; for the new Soyuz revamp. Also includes some new fairing shapes (edited Soyuz, new Angara), and 2 new Procedural Fairings textures!

Enjoy! Note that the descent modules blacken on reentry again. If you want I'll release a config that will eliminate that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcvgd73ud2on651/Tantares%20TMA%2BFairings%200.3.zip?dl=0

So I deleted tantares and loaded it up again and added TMA, and it seemed to make it worse. Now none of the parts look TMA style and it looks like they're just duplicated. I must be doing something wrong here... haha

So I deleted tantares and loaded it up again and added TMA, and it seemed to make it worse. Now none of the parts look TMA style and it looks like they're just duplicated. I must be doing something wrong here... haha

Did you delete Tantares, redownload it, redownload and reinstall Firespitter and ModuleManager.

Click on the most recent link I posted to the TMA pack, download it again, reinstall that. I'll double check the configs but I think it might be something with how you installed it because I fixed that problem already.

Remember, this requires Tantares to be installed.

EDIT: I'm 90% sure that you have the old bugged version of TMA installed.

Do these exact steps:

1) Delete your Tantares folder in Gamedata.

2) Redownload Tantares. Make sure it's the newest version.

3) Reinstall Tantares.

4) Install Firespitter and ModuleManager. Links are in the ReadMe inside the TMA download.

5) Download Tantares TMA again from the link in this post.

6) Reinstall Tantares TMA.

The issue you are describing is the exact one I fixed with TMA 0.3.6, so you must not be using the most recent version.

Here is the Dropbox link.

Edited by planeguy868

800 Pages! Wow! :)

Very odd...

Nothing surprising in the configs.

Got any pics / video of this problem? I'd like to see it in action.

Got some time to sneak away and model today, here's the S-IV fuel tank:

http://i.imgur.com/XLjT6Ye.png

I may try to UV map this one myself. It seems even easier than Little Joe II was.

Can't wait for the S-IV engine assembly, it's gonna be tough. :P

EDIT: S-IV Fuel Tank is UV mapped, ready to be textured. It's the first time I've successfully UV mapped a model. Now to see if I have a copy of photoshop somewhere. If I don't have photoshop though, is it easy to texture parts in GIMP?

Looking good so far!

I'd recommend Photoshop, depending on your ease of acquiring it :wink:

http://imgur.com/a/punO0

The name and design come from E of Pi's http://alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=208954 alternate history, which has been going for nearly 4 years!

Really nice quality textures!

As you say, love the specular map! :)

Is this a new-new link? I'll add it to first post.

Can we download it?

- - - Updated - - -

Is anyone else getting this weird texture issue?

http://i.imgur.com/3U6bG5E.jpg

Since been fixed!

e9cdc96632.jpg

Black Gemini default?

Blue available as alt.

8807a33ad6.jpg